• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Is 100oz Silver Enough?

3 minutes ago, Bigmarc said:

This is exactly the point I am at but at a crossroads about keeping money in the bank. I was reading a article yesterday from the ft, there seems to be a push to promote investment.

https://www.ft.com/content/a8f4b690-489e-49cb-9abd-e7972cfc6b0b 

If you don’t trust the bank, then hide some money at home.  It’s always good to have some fiat within reach.  I’m always reminded of the debacle and suffering of the Afghans after the US pulled out.  Banks closed and no access to bank accounts to pay for food and medicine.  So yes, having cash at home or somewhere within reach is a good idea.  

@Bigmarc, now having read the article you posted, it does make sense to invest.   You just need to make sensible and logical choices with the help of a financial planner or portfolio manager.  Stick with blue chip stocks that are too big to fail and/or stocks that have a good history of paying dividends.   The key is not to have all your eggs in one basket.   Diversify your risk.   

Edited by SilverStorm

30 minutes ago, SilverStorm said:

@Bigmarc, now having read the article you posted, it does make sense to invest.   You just need to make sensible and logical choices with the help of a financial planner or portfolio manager.  Stick with blue chip stocks that are too big to fail and/or stocks that have a good history of paying dividends.   The key is not to have all your eggs in one basket.   Diversify your risk.   

I've been bitten quiet a few times on the stocks (granted they were a bit risky) but am extremely cautious moving forward (I don't do it). I've seen success stories on here but not many people share their losses. It's just something I am pondering at the moment.

I think @SilverStorm is giving good advice here.  Look after the basics first and build up some (but not excessive amounts of) cash for a rainy day.  Then, decide where to invest any additional money.  If you decide to put some of it into the stock market, it probably makes sense to start with larger companies, and also probably the stock market in your own country (if it has one) to remove any currency risk.  Then diversify - across different global stock markets, and across different company sizes and investment sectors.  Regular savings into an ISA and/or pension makes a lot of sense.

I've been doing the above for over 20 years now.  Generally, I buy funds and hold them for the long term.  In those 20 years I've moved investments about 10 times in total (so not very many) and I've only actually cashed in any of these investments once - and that was earlier this year to help me move house.  On that particular investment (a UK smaller companies fund) I turned £7k into £20k in about 10 years with plenty of ups and downs along the way.

Basically it's get-rich-slow.  Overall my investments in total have grown by about 9.5% compound, after all charges.  That'll do me nicely for long term investing.

On 19/09/2021 at 01:13, Bigmarc said:

I've been bitten quiet a few times on the stocks (granted they were a bit risky) but am extremely cautious moving forward (I don't do it). I've seen success stories on here but not many people share their losses. It's just something I am pondering at the moment.

I understand your trepidation, as many people have lost money in the stock market.   What you need to understand is that investing in the stock market is long term.   You invest in both value and growth stocks.   You buy stocks that have good fundamentals, good balance sheet, good profit, good business model.   The one main lesson you need to learn is that you must be a contrarian investor.   That is, when everyone panics and starts selling, you hold on and wait.  When stock prices are depressed, you go in with cash and buy the depressed stocks at cheap prices.   When everyone buys stocks and prices go up, you sell for profit.   This is where the adage "buy low, sell high" is applicable.  I have been in the stock market since the early 1990s, and I have gone through both boom and recession.  And each time my stock portfolio has rebounded and has done better.   But this all depends on the stocks you hold and the investment advice of your portfolio manager.  You hold mediocre stocks or get bad advice, you won't fare well.   I'm lucky to have both good stocks and a good portfolio manager.

Examples of current stocks I'm holding now, and why I hold them:

Berkshire Hathway Class B - no explanation needed for this one, you follow the "Oracle of Omaha" and you can't go wrong

Johnson & Johnson - makes covid vaccine and other pharmaceuticals

Alphabet Class C - Google stock, no explanation required

Royal Bank of Canada - bank stock that pays dividends, and future long term growth

Amazon.com - no explanation required

The examples given above are suitable for me, and may not be suitable for you.   Always discuss with a financial advisor on the suitability of any investment you decide to invest in.   I hope this info helps you.

Edited by SilverStorm

5 hours ago, Stuntman said:

Basically it's get-rich-slow.  Overall my investments in total have grown by about 9.5% compound, after all charges.  That'll do me nicely for long term investing.

Correct, slow and steady is the sure way to build wealth.  👍

Edited by SilverStorm

1 hour ago, SilverStorm said:

I understand your trepidation, as many people have lost money in the stock market.   What you need to understand is that investing in the stock market is long term.   You invest in both value and growth stocks.   You buy stocks that have good fundamentals, good balance sheet, good profit, good business model.   The one main lesson you need to learn is that you must be a contrarian investor.   That is, when everyone panics and starts selling, you hold on and wait.   When stock prices are depressed, you go in with cash and buy the depressed stocks at cheap prices.   When everyone buys stocks and prices go up, you sell for profit.   This is where the adage "buy low, sell high" is applicable.  I have been in the stock market since early the 1990s, and I have gone through both boom and recession.  And each time my stock portfolio has rebounded and has done better.   But this all depends on the stocks you hold and the investment advice of your portfolio manager.  You hold mediocre stocks or get bad advice, you won't fare well.   I'm lucky to have both.

Examples of current stocks I'm holding now, and why I hold them:

Berkshire Hathway Class B - no explanation needed for this one, you follow the "Oracle of Omaha" and you can't go wrong

Johnson & Johnson - maker of AstraZeneca vaccine and other pharmaceuticals

Alphabet Class C - Google stock, no explanation required

Royal Bank of Canada - bank stock that pays dividends, and future long term growth

Amazon.com - no explanation required

The examples given above are suitable for me, and may not be suitable for you.   Always discuss with a financial advisor on the suitability of any investment you decide to invest in.   I hope this info helps you.

I think the main difference between then and now is everything now is done on a app and all the information is there at a push of a button. I started in 1999, I actually had to go to my bank to buy them. The first two I bought were Barclays and Lloyds. They "were" going well then had a go at oil, bula resources was the first, they were a Irish firm invited into Libya by cornel cadaffi. The next was gulf keystone petroleum, supposedly handed the keys to Iraq. Bula disappeared of the face of the earth and keystone was just court case after court case, one day I had a lot of shares, the next I had a few. Marconi, I backed them as they "were" a British institution and going through tough times after the dot com bubble. They were liquidated and I received my new shares and warrents in the form of tellent. You can imagine how much the new shares were worth. This was a lot of money to me and I suppose I did learn some valuable lessons 😶.

I had two success stories that I bought on a dip, which was the London mining company and British airways. But I sold them relatively quickly as it was just not worth the stress. I think it was around this time I started collecting silver and cash. 

I think after that journey I came to the conclusion that I am in engineering, I didn't go to university and study economics. 

58 minutes ago, Bigmarc said:

I think the main difference between then and now is everything now is done on a app and all the information is there at a push of a button. I started in 1999, I actually had to go to my bank to buy them. The first two I bought were Barclays and Lloyds. They "were" going well then had a go at oil, bula resources was the first, they were a Irish firm invited into Libya by cornel cadaffi. The next was gulf keystone petroleum, supposedly handed the keys to Iraq. Bula disappeared of the face of the earth and keystone was just court case after court case, one day I had a lot of shares, the next I had a few. Marconi, I backed them as they "were" a British institution and going through tough times after the dot com bubble. They were liquidated and I received my new shares and warrents in the form of tellent. You can imagine how much the new shares were worth. This was a lot of money to me and I suppose I did learn some valuable lessons 😶.

I had two success stories that I bought on a dip, which was the London mining company and British airways. But I sold them relatively quickly as it was just not worth the stress. I think it was around this time I started collecting silver and cash. 

I think after that journey I came to the conclusion that I am in engineering, I didn't go to university and study economics. 

I have been invested in the stock market for over 30 years, and I certainly didn't cherry pick stocks when I first started.  I went with my bank's mutual funds as part of my RRSP (registered retirement savings plan).   Over the years, my mutual funds grew and it was only within the past 5-6 years that I transferred my mutual funds from the bank to a reputable private equity investment firm.   I did this because my bank's mutual funds could no longer provide the growth that I was looking for.   My portfolio manager then liquidated the mutual funds and invested the proceeds into 38 individual high quality stocks, 2 trusts, and 2 ETFs.   My stocks are now spread across a wide spectrum of industries; if one sector in the stock market should fall, the other sectors will be there to compensate and minimize the loss in the market downturn.  My portfolio manager also takes an active role in analyzing my portfolio, and makes recommendations to add/sell stocks.  So investing is not static; if the situation warrants, you need to buy and/or sell accordingly.  So what I'm trying to say is that it takes a lot of time to get to where I am now.  But it all starts with investing and staying invested.

Regarding your last comment, you don't need to be smart or have gone to post secondary in order to do well in investing.  Know your strengths and weaknesses.  Where you have weakness, surround yourself with people who are highly knowledgeable in their field of expertise.   When you surround yourself with talent, even a mediocre person will look like a genius.

Edited by SilverStorm

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you all very much for your detailed replies - it’s really opened my eyes to different options & ideas!

I suppose my next question is.. what is the best way to stack silver.. bars or coins?

I’ve currently got a combination of both but mainly 1 oz silver coins - here is a video of me unboxing my 100 oz stack, let me know what you think?

Thanks again for all the replies & advise!

8 hours ago, Mothballjim said:

Thank you all very much for your detailed replies - it’s really opened my eyes to different options & ideas!

I suppose my next question is.. what is the best way to stack silver.. bars or coins?

I’ve currently got a combination of both but mainly 1 oz silver coins - here is a video of me unboxing my 100 oz stack, let me know what you think?

get some gloves mate....

It does not matter how slowly you go so long as you do not stop.

41 minutes ago, Gordy said:

get some gloves mate....

Indeed treat ya silver like ya ladies gentlemenly, or even wear a cravat and moncle and break wind loudly like I do!

Edited by HerefordBullyun

Central bankers are politicians disguised as economists or bankers. They’re either incompetent or liars. So, either way, you’re never going to get a valid answer.” - Peter Schiff

Sound money is not a guarantee of a free society, but a free society is impossible without sound money. We are currently a society enslaved by debt.

If you are a new member and want to know why we stack PMs look at this link https://www.thesilverforum.com/topic/56131-videos-of-significance/#comment-381454

8 hours ago, Mothballjim said:

I noticed you've sensibly scribbled over the addresses on the parcels, but you might still be inadvertently revealing your address to the world by not fully obscuring those 2D barcodes. Amongst other data, they contain house number and postcode. I wouldn't expect them to be easily readable (i.e. a phone app probably won't recognise them when partly redacted) but much of the data is still visible.

2 minutes ago, Gordy said:

and plenty of peanut butter

Ah you must have been a Harrow Lad. I was eton we lost 3 sore bottoms to 2 in the annual hot crumpet bottom holding contest!

Central bankers are politicians disguised as economists or bankers. They’re either incompetent or liars. So, either way, you’re never going to get a valid answer.” - Peter Schiff

Sound money is not a guarantee of a free society, but a free society is impossible without sound money. We are currently a society enslaved by debt.

If you are a new member and want to know why we stack PMs look at this link https://www.thesilverforum.com/topic/56131-videos-of-significance/#comment-381454

Create a separate youtube Chanel for your stacking. Security is important and many people on here take it seriously. On your other videos I anyone can see your silver and gold you have, your face, your tattoos, your garden, your dog, your missus's, your house and even your local Tesco's. Remove your YouTube profile pic to. I know it's hard to hear but you are leaving yourself open a bit. 

Oh and gloves (something I didn't do for a long time)

3 minutes ago, Bigmarc said:

Create a separate youtube Chanel for your stacking. Security is important and many people on here take it seriously. On your other videos I anyone can see your silver and gold you have, your face, your tattoos, your garden, your dog, your missus's, your house and even your local Tesco's. Remove your YouTube profile pic to. I know it's hard to hear but you are leaving yourself open a bit. 

Oh and gloves (something I didn't do for a long time)

Well said security isnt a dirty word Blackadder, neither is poo poo or crevis, but bush - bush is a absolutely filthy word and it should be trimmed on very regular occasions, I watch my nighbour trim hers every 2 weeks! Disgraceful!

Edited by HerefordBullyun

1 minute ago, HerefordBullyun said:

Well said wcurity isnt a dirty word Blackadder, neither is poo poo or crevis, but bush - bush is a absolutely filthy word and it should be trimmed on very regular occasions, I watch my nighbour trim hers every 2 weeks! Disgraceful!

Have you take your pills tonight bull

Just now, Bigmarc said:

Have you take your pills tonight bull

No cure for mad cow disease and I have the certs to prove so....... I should have been born in east ham, just west of Barking.....

• 2 weeks later...

Personally, I treat PM’s as an alternative savings account… if I stuck some notes in a drawer, they’d be gone when the next interesting gadget appeared! 😁

But this way, I have the value without the easy spending ability- and they’re nice to look at and collect… was determined to just be a stacker, but have already been tempted my the charms of the more unique and semi-numismatic offerings - Have a 1oz proof Seymour Panther arriving later today 🤭😂

I’d also say it’s worth having an exit strategy too - how are you going to convert the stack in to actual money when you need / want to? Have read comments from many others on the forum on this subject, and it makes much sense.

Selling 100’s of ounce’s one by one on eBay and the like would give the best return, but only if done one by one or small amounts and would take an age! 😳

Once I have a reasonable amount (reasonable to me, that is) I plan to start selling some of the oddities or ones that are a single of a particular coin for example, using the funds generated to put towards different bullion, a proof or two or perhaps some gold?

One size never fits all, but generally, I’d say a way of getting out of your PM’s would be a good thing to establish sooner rather than later. If you already have a reputation for selling PM’s on whichever platform(s) you chose, it’ll be easier when the time comes to move a larger amount IMHO 😏

Bob

Thanks again for all the comments and advice! 🙌🏻

I think I now have closer to 200oz of silver, it’s become a bit of an addiction! 😳

I have a couple of items due to arrive this week, then I’m going to try and calm down a bit. Although saying that, I’ve just signed up to the full 10 coin series of the Tudor Beasts 🤦🏻‍♂️

1 minute ago, Mothballjim said:

Thanks again for all the comments and advice! 🙌🏻

I think I now have closer to 200oz of silver, it’s become a bit of an addiction! 😳

I have a couple of items due to arrive this week, then I’m going to try and calm down a bit. Although saying that, I’ve just signed up to the full 10 coin series of the Tudor Beasts 🤦🏻‍♂️

Silver is the pringles of metals - once you pop you cant stop!