• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Is this gold Queens Beasts Yale of Beaufort coin a fake......?

GreatCoins4U

Hello, I bought this coin recently, it looks great, it weighs about right (my scales are abit poor and weighs everything slightly over) but it seems right compared to how it weighs my other coins. But it fails the coin flick test. That is to say when I flick a normal sovereign I get a nice sharp crisp ringing sound, and with this I get nothing, no sound at all. When I spin it on a hard surface it seems about the same as my other Sovereigns, but it is just the flick test that is concerning me, please let me know what you think, is that normal for .999 pure gold coins? It looks authentic to me, but I would rather know now than find out later down the line when it comes time to sell this it is not? I am sorry about the picture quality, this is unfortunately not one of my strongest points and I am using a mobile phone.

Tough to tell from the pictures. I am not well versed in the sound testing of coins, but I guess it's not weird that a sov has a different sound, considering the different purity (22ct vs 24ct). @stefffana knows some more about sound testing I think, perhaps he can share some knowledge here.

It looks okay to me. One, where did you buy it from? If it is a reputable dealer, it should be fine. Two, you can measure the coin by weight, diameter and thickness, and then compare with the official figure. Fake coins cannot fool all three together. Three, you could try specific gravity test. It is not too much difficult and no damage to the coin, there are plenty videos on YouTube. Four, you could try a pawn shop or jewellery shop to test for you, or if you are in London, I am more than happy to help you test it as I have a Sigma verifier. 

14 minutes ago, vicamy said:

It looks okay to me. One, where did you buy it from? If it is a reputable dealer, it should be fine. Two, you can measure the coin by weight, diameter and thickness, and then compare with the official figure. Fake coins cannot fool all three together. Three, you could try specific gravity test. It is not too much difficult and no damage to the coin, there are plenty videos on YouTube. Four, you could try a pawn shop or jewellery shop to test for you, or if you are in London, I am more than happy to help you test it as I have a Sigma verifier. 

Do you have a store where you do tests on coins or are you a private collector? Just out of interest really. Never really sure where is a good place to test coins in the uk. Do you know if the shops generally charge a fee for testing coins? 

4 minutes ago, darkninja1985 said:

Do you have a store where you do tests on coins or are you a private collector? Just out of interest really. Never really sure where is a good place to test coins in the uk. Do you know if the shops generally charge a fee for testing coins? 

I’m a private collector. You could go pawn shops, jewellery shops, or dealers’ stores to have your precious metals tested. They usually have xrf machine in stores and should be okay to test for you. Otherwise, you could always say you are thinking about selling, and they have to check authentication first before giving you a quote, at which point you will know if it is legit for what you have. But I believe most people would be just happy to help out. 

There is a little jewellery shop near to me actually, I have never been in there and am not sure if they would want to test my coin for me for free, but it would be nice to find out + meet an expert, hopefully they will not damage my beautiful little coin.

Many thanks, I really do appreciate all your responses, I got it on Ebay, he has sold others of this coin to other people, they have all seemed happy with what he has sold them and they left him positive feedback's. As am I, I think? It is just that I usually weigh and spin (on a hard flat surface) and flick (just in 1 hand between my fingers) a coin, as the experts say to do, on You Tube, they say these are the simple things that you can do, if you dont have expensive machines yourself to be able to test coins.

It looks real to me and the weight is right, it is just the flip test, my sovereigns make a nice crisp ringing sound, the old ones and the new ones, but this does not, basically no sound at all, like with a normal coin, so it perplexes me a little bit. I am reasonably sure that it is real other than that, but I would be mortified if at some point when I tried to sell it, the buyer thought that I was the sort of person that sold fakes, that sort of thing terrifies me a little bit, obviously.

Does anyone else have a queens beast bullion gold coin that they could flick for me and see if it makes any sound at all, like a sovereign does, please let me know, someone must have 1?

Looks on point to me - I have one and as far as I can see from the photos it looks the same.  

I have not seen any QB’s counterfeits - not sure about anyone else?

Always treat eBay with a degree of suspicion!

Best

Dicker

Not my circus, not my monkeys

Yes it looks legitimate to me aswell, it is just that I like to do my due diligence, even when a coin looks authentic.

I don't suppose you could flick your one for me, between you fingers to see if it makes a sound like sovereigns do (a nice crisp ringing sound), mine does not, so if yours does not either mine is probably authentic, but if yours does, then I might have a problem?

2 hours ago, GreatCoins4U said:

There is a little jewellery shop near to me actually, I have never been in there and am not sure if they would want to test my coin for me for free, but it would be nice to find out + meet an expert, hopefully they will not damage my beautiful little coin.

This may present an opportunity - there was a small independant jeweller in my local town, he got offered all types of things to buy, but had no interest in coins other than the facility to test them.

He did work on several watches for me and similar, so I asked about coins and we agreed a deal whereby he would buy them and I paid him a small comission - only gold, not silver.

You have nothing to lose by asking/trying similar if you so wished.

Edited by Coverte

A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they know they will never sit in.

2 hours ago, GreatCoins4U said:

Many thanks, I really do appreciate all your responses, I got it on Ebay, he has sold others of this coin to other people, they have all seemed happy with what he has sold them and they left him positive feedback's. As am I, I think? It is just that I usually weigh and spin (on a hard flat surface) and flick (just in 1 hand between my fingers) a coin, as the experts say to do, on You Tube, they say these are the simple things that you can do, if you dont have expensive machines yourself to be able to test coins.

It looks real to me and the weight is right, it is just the flip test, my sovereigns make a nice crisp ringing sound, the old ones and the new ones, but this does not, basically no sound at all, like with a normal coin, so it perplexes me a little bit. I am reasonably sure that it is real other than that, but I would be mortified if at some point when I tried to sell it, the buyer thought that I was the sort of person that sold fakes, that sort of thing terrifies me a little bit, obviously.

Does anyone else have a queens beast bullion gold coin that they could flick for me and see if it makes any sound at all, like a sovereign does, please let me know, someone must have 1?

I avoid buying any PM's from Ebay even from a reputable seller with good feedback. Alot of people are naieve and think that everyone is honest and wouldn't think twice about testing their coins when they receive them.. Even the most honest person can sell something they believe is genuine but things do slip by. Don't get me wrong..I purchase on Ebay alot but not for anything with value and deffinatly not Pm's. For one you can buy coins cheaper from bullion dealers or members of TSF, sellers always advertise with  much higher premiums than anywhere else...and if its cheap that should set your alarm bells ringing so should avoid those..I've never seen fake QB's coins apart from the completer coin...if you are unsure I'm sure as others have said take it to a pawn shop or a shop that purchases gold...they will confirm if its genuine..might charge a few £'s but at least you will have peace of mind..

4 hours ago, westminstrel said:

Or maybe go to a local coin shop and request them to test it for you? 😕

Hello, yes I took it to my local jewellers, and they only piece of equipment that they have is a set of digital scales, and it weighs about the right amount, so they were not much help really

3 hours ago, vicamy said:

Hello, that would be very useful, but whereabouts in London are you?

Many thanks

15 minutes ago, GreatCoins4U said:

Hello, yes I took it to my local jewellers, and they only piece of equipment that they have is a set of digital scales, and it weighs about the right amount, so they were not much help really

Sounds like a jewellers that takes alot of risks if they only have scales and nothing else to authenticate their stock??

1 minute ago, CollectorNo1 said:

Sounds like a jewellers that takes alot of risks if they only have scales and nothing else to authenticate their stock??

He's not a typical retail jeweller retailing items from a wholesaler, he's a dying breed who even has staff member who make things to order and a seperate small unit where they buy large out of style pieces and break them down for the stones and metal; so has the equipment to know exactly if a metal is real or not.

I've never had a problem coin yet and been dealing with him since the 90's.

A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they know they will never sit in.

As @LawrenceChard has commented before (I think?), jewellers are particularly poor with respect to knowledge of coins.   

One does not have to look too far to find jewellers selling Sovereign copies, oddly priced coins etc

Best

Dicker

Not my circus, not my monkeys

8 minutes ago, CollectorNo1 said:

They did not have an xrf machine or 1 of those guns that coin shops have, they said that they would test it by rubbing it with something but it might damage the coin, they were very nice + friendly really...