• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Is this gold Queens Beasts Yale of Beaufort coin a fake......?

GreatCoins4U

1 minute ago, dicker said:

As @LawrenceChard has commented before (I think?), jewellers are particularly poor with respect to knowledge of coins.   

One does not have to look too far to find jewellers selling Sovereign copies, oddly priced coins etc

Best

Dicker

Yeah, they were friendly enough, but definetely not a coin shop, they had a 1/2 sovereign coin, which had a nice ring to it, when flicked between your fingers, but I already knew Sovereigns did that, I really need someone with a loose gold queens beasts to flick there one for me and tell me if it makes a sound or not, I am imagining that they do normally, but need someone else to check for me with there own coins. Or I guess I could buy some other ones and I could check myself?

9 minutes ago, GreatCoins4U said:

They did not have an xrf machine or 1 of those guns that coin shops have, they said that they would test it by rubbing it with something but it might damage the coin, they were very nice + friendly really...

Probably a bleach or acid test but that will probably damage the coin....someone told me years ago,probably an old wife's tale but.....placing a cube of ice on silver...if it melts fast its real,slow its fake..but I wouldn't take that as gospel.. But silver is a heat conductor so maybe something in that saying!

Personally, I don’t do any coin flicking and pinging - I find it unhelpful versus detailed coin examination under magnification

I have spent a lot of time looking at coins under magnification in various forms and tend to think this is the gold standard of assessing coins in the first instance.  XRF etc if you are not sure but I just pass up coins that I am not sure of.  

Best

Dicker

Not my circus, not my monkeys

7 hours ago, GreatCoins4U said:

Hello, I bought this coin recently, it looks great, it weighs about right (my scales are abit poor and weighs everything slightly over) but it seems right compared to how it weighs my other coins. But it fails the coin flick test. That is to say when I flick a normal sovereign I get a nice sharp crisp ringing sound, and with this I get nothing, no sound at all. When I spin it on a hard surface it seems about the same as my other Sovereigns, but it is just the flick test that is concerning me, please let me know what you think, is that normal for .999 pure gold coins? It looks authentic to me, but I would rather know now than find out later down the line when it comes time to sell this it is not? I am sorry about the picture quality, this is unfortunately not one of my strongest points and I am using a mobile phone.

"and with this I get nothing, no sound at all."

I guess your hearing aid battery has died, or it's switched off. 🙂

" I am sorry about the picture quality, this is unfortunately not one of my strongest points and I am using a mobile phone."

My usual suggestion it to upgrade your mobile phone from an expensive Apple, to a superior Android one at 1/3rd of the price. 🙂

On a more serious note, it is almost impossible to tell from your photos, a "ping" test as some have already suggested might help, but is not foolproof.

I always believe it's helpful to name your source (posh people call this provenance), it does help others to help you. 

If you bought from ebay, most TSF members would shout fake before they heard any more, and would probably win most bets. If it is ebay, include a link to the item and name the seller. If the same names crop up frequently, this also provides valuable clues.

Edited by LawrenceChard

Chards

6 hours ago, vicamy said:

It looks okay to me. One, where did you buy it from? If it is a reputable dealer, it should be fine. Two, you can measure the coin by weight, diameter and thickness, and then compare with the official figure. Fake coins cannot fool all three together. Three, you could try specific gravity test. It is not too much difficult and no damage to the coin, there are plenty videos on YouTube. Four, you could try a pawn shop or jewellery shop to test for you, or if you are in London, I am more than happy to help you test it as I have a Sigma verifier. 

You can't get a much better offer than that!

Chards

2 hours ago, GreatCoins4U said:

or 1 of those guns that coin shops have, they said that they would test it by rubbing it with something but it might damage the coin, they were very nice + friendly really...

What, a .44 Magnum? 🙂

Seriously, they do have guns in many American coin shops and jewellers, of different makes and calibres.

"Rubbing it" would probably be on a touchstone https://www.gia.edu/bench-tip-use-the-touchstone-method-for-testing-purity-karat-gold, but yes, it would cause some abrasion which is better avoided.

Chards

29 minutes ago, LawrenceChard said:

"and with this I get nothing, no sound at all."

I guess your hearing aid battery has died, or it's switched off. 🙂

" I am sorry about the picture quality, this is unfortunately not one of my strongest points and I am using a mobile phone."

My usual suggestion it to upgrade your mobile phone from an expensive Apple, to a superior Android one at 1/3rd of the price. 🙂

On a more serious note, it is almost impossible to tell from your photos, a "ping" test as some have already suggested might help, but is not foolproof.

I always believe it's helpful to name your source (posh people call this provenance), it does help others to help you. 

If you bought from ebay, most TSF members would shout fake before they heard any more, and would probably win most bets. If it is ebay, include a link to the item and name the seller. If the same names crop up frequently, this also provides valuable clues.

Hello,

I have tried spinning it like in your videos and it seems more or less alright, but when I flick the coin and when I do a ping test (which is a new thing for me) I get basically no sound at all. To me this would indicate that it is a fake coin, but I am unsure if other 24 ct coins make no sound when pinged, or flipped with your fingers, I was just interested to see if anyone else had one, that they had pinged or flicked with there fingers, is the sound the same as a sovereign, (all my sovereigns make a nice crisp ringing sound when I flick or ping them) or is there no sound at all?

1 minute ago, GreatCoins4U said:

Hello,

I have tried spinning it like in your videos and it seems more or less alright, but when I flick the coin and when I do a ping test (which is a new thing for me) I get basically no sound at all. To me this would indicate that it is a fake coin, but I am unsure if other 24 ct coins make no sound when pinged, or flipped with your fingers, I was just interested to see if anyone else had one, that they had pinged or flicked with there fingers, is the sound the same as a sovereign, (all my sovereigns make a nice crisp ringing sound when I flick or ping them) or is there no sound at all?

Ah!

I am quite tuned in to the sound of sovereigns, because I have checked so many in my time. Also when doing a large quantity, any dead sounding ones stand out for re-checking. This happens just when I flip them over from one hand to the other, and the spin test is more to demonstrate.

I hardly ever check through any bulk of 9999 gold coins in the same way, so I don''t actually know! 🙂

Chards

4 minutes ago, LawrenceChard said:

Ah!

I am quite tuned in to the sound of sovereigns, because I have checked so many in my time. Also when doing a large quantity, any dead sounding ones stand out for re-checking. This happens just when I flip them over from one hand to the other, and the spin test is more to demonstrate.

I hardly ever check through any bulk of 9999 gold coins in the same way, so I don''t actually know! 🙂

Well that's abit awkward, I imagine you might be one of the most knowledgeable people on here, but no honestly I do not know either.

I can either return it in the next day or 2 (Monday now probably), or if anyone has one of these coins, a loose gold queens beasts gold 1/4 ounce, that they can ping or flick for me that would be really most helpful.

It is not that I do not like gold sovereigns, I have lots from different countries and years and everything, I just thought that 1 of these might be fun. I have some of the proof versions, but have not tried to test them ofcourse, you can tell they are real with their pretty shiny finish and there box and certificate and everything...

11 minutes ago, GreatCoins4U said:

Well that's abit awkward, I imagine you might be one of the most knowledgeable people on here, but no honestly I do not know either.

I can either return it in the next day or 2 (Monday now probably), or if anyone has one of these coins, a loose gold queens beasts gold 1/4 ounce, that they can ping or flick for me that would be really most helpful.

It is not that I do not like gold sovereigns, I have lots from different countries and years and everything, I just thought that 1 of these might be fun. I have some of the proof versions, but have not tried to test them ofcourse, you can tell they are real with their pretty shiny finish and there box and certificate and everything...

If you can take @vicamy up on his offer, it would help you.

The other suggestion of mine was to state who you got it from, and include  link if it was ebay or online. I am sure a few members would ferret around the seller, and give a more informed opinion.

Chards

3 minutes ago, LawrenceChard said:

If you can take @vicamy up on his offer, it would help you.

The other suggestion of mine was to state who you got it from, and include  link if it was ebay or online. I am sure a few members would ferret around the seller, and give a more informed opinion.

Yes well I think that he might be a little bit too far away from me unfortunately, and traipsing around some part of London that I do not know, to see a person that I do not know with my gold coin seems slightly problematic to say the least. It would be alot easier if anyone had one of these that they could test for me with a ping or a flick test and just let me know, someone must have one, and it would be a great help to me, but no problem if it is not possible?

Whilst I hesitate to share the chaps name on here, you could find it if you search for gold Yale, in the coins category, in completed items, it must be the latest one that sold for £360, he seems to have fairly good feedback and seems to have sold a couple of these exact coins fairly recently, but as you say on Ebay you can never really be sure can you......?

16 minutes ago, CollectorNo1 said:

Here are a couple of photos of a 100% genuine Yale of Beaufort 1/4 oz Gold.

Compare these photos with yours..see if you determine any differences.

Regards.

Screenshot_20210826-224011_eBay.jpg

Screenshot_20210826-224025_eBay.jpg

Yes mine looks just as good, under the magnifying glass and everything. It is just the ping and the flick test that is making me unsure, if it made a sound when I flicked or pinged it, I would not have asked anyone else's opinion, I would have just taken it as red that it is genuine. But honestly I thought that it was supposed to make a noise, like with normal sovereigns... So if anyone knows whether it is supposed to make a noise when pinged or flicked, then please do let me know?

Edited by GreatCoins4U

7 minutes ago, GreatCoins4U said:

Yes well I think that he might be a little bit too far away from me unfortunately, and traipsing around some part of London that I do not know, to see a person that I do not know with my gold coin seems slightly problematic to say the least. It would be alot easier if anyone had one of these that they could test for me with a ping or a flick test and just let me know, someone must have one, and it would be a great help to me, but no problem if it is not possible?

Whilst I hesitate to share the chaps name on here, you could find it if you search for gold Yale, in the coins category, in completed items, it must be the latest one that sold for £360, he seems to have fairly good feedback and seems to have sold a couple of these exact coins fairly recently, but as you say on Ebay you can never really be sure can you......?

That's a good price at £360 Bbp are selling them for £419 so a little Red flag there 🙄

7 minutes ago, GreatCoins4U said:

Well, just trying to be helpful, which I have helped other members here before. But I totally can understand where you come from. Good luck. As I said, you could try Hatton Garden where it has lots of jewellery shops. 

4 minutes ago, vicamy said:

Well, just trying to be helpful, which I have helped other members here before. But I totally can understand where you come from. Good luck. As I said, you could try Hatton Garden where it has lots of jewellery shops. 

Yes I know that you are, you all seem very knowledgeable and trustworthy, but I mean it is quite far for me and rather than me travelling all around London I thought that someone could flip or ping one of these for me and let me know about the sound, there must be lots about among you collectors, that would be alot easier for me obviously. I guess I could post it to someone trustworthy, but I am new here and do not really know anyone very well, not to worry I can always post it back to the guy and get a refund, if no-one can test one of there own coins for me, not too worry.

34 minutes ago, GreatCoins4U said:

If you bought a coin from us, and were uncertain about it, I would be quite happy for you to name us. That way, you would hopefully get good feedback about us, and if we were dodgy, we would soon get a bad reputation. Either way, it's a good result for almost everybody.

Don't make it harder for people to help you, by making them have to do detective work in the process. 🙂

Chards