• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

"Gothic Crown" To buy or not to buy?

Like me, I'm guessing most of us on here are awaiting with anticipation and bated breath the release of the RM's next edition of the Great Engravers (WW RA THE GOTHIC CROWN).

Going on the design of the Alderny coins of 2 sets, the RM are surely going to go out of their way to come up with something special.

Jody Clarke,now head of the Commonwealth mint, designed the obverse portrait of QEII In the Gothic style for this edition and I assume he will also be designing the RM's version. Will it be the same design or has he held back something different for the RM??

I never purchased The Three Graces or the Una and the Lion when they came out. The Gothic Crown has to be my favourite coin engraved by WW infact my favourite coin ever. As I doubt I will ever own an original 1847 unless I win the lottery...I will be trying for this reproduction when it comes out but, after the Hic-ups (Being polite) with some of the RM's latest coins/sets especially the 2oz QB's Silver proof's I'm very wary of paying out a lot of money and we know these are not going to be cheap....only to take delivery if I'm lucky enough to purchase in the 10 micro seconds before they are "Out of stock" To find Milkspots or scratches when delivered.

Will the RM also go with the  2 coin sets like the Alderney version? I'm quite sure we will have a 2oz and 5oz Silver proof coin and a 10oz at some point, not to mention the Gold version, but Gold doesn't Milkspot.

So,what is your decision going to be when they get released? 

Knowing there is going to be a good chance that this could be a QB's Mark II scenario....... ( The question is.....To buy or not to Buy?

Edited by CollectorNo1

Of course it's a buy.

I agree, the original is the most beautiful coin ever and even if the new one is a pale imitation, you will always be able to sell for a profit, assuming of course the RM doesn't ramp up the mintages to ridiculous levels.

Profile picture with thanks to Carl Vernon

2 minutes ago, sovereignsteve said:

Of course it's a buy.

I agree, the original is the most beautiful coin ever and even if the new one is a pale imitation, you will always be able to sell for a profit, assuming of course the RM doesn't ramp up the mintages to ridiculous levels.

They won't...it will be a low mintage across all demoniations...only benefiting the (Flippers).... cest la vie.

4 minutes ago, sovereignsteve said:

The 10 oz Three graces gold coin was given to a dealer of their choice..no surprise there to sell at huge premiums...the few they had reserved for their special clients were sold to them so they could aquire and make a huge profit...its not for us collectors who appreciate the coins.. we don'te to the Elite customers.... stand a chance...its the special clients of the RM who get advanced  notice of their special editions/releases...having account managers who notify them .its who you know..that's the way of the world.......something us mere mortals have to accept nothing we can do about it....unless you purchase over £10,000 + a year on a regular basis from the RM you won't ever see the special offers they give to their  rich clients who spend alot of money with the RM....(Fact)

Wait and try to get the Royal Mint offering. If you succeed great, if not buy an Alderney (or other mint) copy 1-3 months down the line for much less than the dealers were selling them on release. Hold the line and wait. The RM versions will always do well. You won’t fail to find them on FB groups or eBay.

Decus et tutamen (an ornament and a safeguard)

YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5OjxoCIsDbMgx7MM_l4CmA

4 minutes ago, MancunianStacker said:

Wait and try to get the Royal Mint offering. If you succeed great, if not buy an Alderney (or other mint) copy 1-3 months down the line for much less than the dealers were selling them on release. Hold the line and wait. The RM versions will always do well. You won’t fail to find them on FB groups or eBay.

Thanks..

Won't buy the Alydeny version..won't buy from FB or Ebay....I'd rather take £2000 and go to Vegas and put it all on "0"...more chance of winning than getting a 100% Silver proof coin..with no problems from the RM..😆😆😆😆😆😆😆😆😆😆

Screenshot_20210821-233608_Google.jpg

I will definitely buy the coming release on release if I can....but I know I can't due to super high demand and region lock, like the last one.  The real dilemma is if the price spur over $2k, whether to go for it...as an original one may cost around the same or a little bit more only.  If that's the case, i will opt for the original Gothic Crown.

I will  definitely try to get it at the mint. If not, i'll survive it. And is the Alderney one truly a bad shot? I don't think so. Original or not, still a great coin, or two coins.... And a much, much nicer Queens portrait, than the Alderney 3G.  Maybe i try the Matte version. Never had one.

• Founder & Administrator

@CollectorNo1 your other duplicate topics have been hidden. Please do not start duplicate topics about the same subject. They had different titles but same content, so it looks like they were deliberately created to attract more attention.  

Also please respect the forum rules in regards to not using capital letters in topic titles. 

6.5. Formatting of text

6.5.1. Members must not excessively use capitals, especially but not explicitly to topic titles. It looks like shouting and detracts from the clean image of the forum. Topic titles with excessive capitals in will be converted to standard sentence case.

6.2.2. Members must not excessively use large fonts, or different coloured fonts. Members should at all time keep TSF clean looking for other members to view more easily. Members should try to use titles which will help other members understand the nature of their post. Generic titles like “Help” or “A Quick Question” are to be avoided wherever possible.

6.5.4. Members must not post entirely in capital letters. This gives the impression of shouting.

6.5.5. Members must not use excessive capitals or excessive emojis in topic titles in order to gain unfair attention to their topic, this especially but not exclusively applies to trade topics.

My posts are my personal opinions, they do not constitute advice or financial advice.

Please Follow / Like / Share to help spread the word of The Silver Forum:
TSF Instagram - TSF YouTube channel - TSF Facebook pageTSF Twitter page - TSF Threads (used for sever status updates)

Discounts / Offers
COTR Vouchers for Premium Members

Official TSF branded NGC label via COR grading
50% discount off of TSF mugs for Platinum Premium Members. (see info in Platinum Lounge)
Platinum Premium Members: Offers from selected Dealers - 15 dealers currently in the programme

7 hours ago, westminstrel said:

Well I just hope the RM doesn’t come out with multiple versions like proof, matte, etc. as that would just dilute the uniqueness of the coins.

This applies to any series they produce, not just the Great Engravers.

I know...I'm afraid once they release all of the great engravers editions they will then release full sets in different denominations like they have done with the QB's!!😳

9 minutes ago, dikefalos said:

Don't get mad of me. I actually would like such a set. 

Haha...can you imagine the price and if they do a 2oz proof set 😨😨😨😱😱😱😱

8 hours ago, westminstrel said:

Well I just hope the RM doesn’t come out with multiple versions like proof, matte, etc. as that would just dilute the uniqueness of the coins.

This applies to any series they produce, not just the Great Engravers.

I know...I'm afraid once they release all of the great engravers editions they will then release full sets in different denominations like they have done with the QB's!!😳

4 minutes ago, CollectorNo1 said:

Haha...can you imagine the price and if they do a 2oz proof set 😨😨😨😱😱😱😱

At the mint around 90-100£/OZ. I don't want to imagine dealer price. 

22 hours ago, CollectorNo1 said:

I'd have to Remortgage my house....

I’m a mortgage adviser, get in touch 😉 

😂 

Decus et tutamen (an ornament and a safeguard)

YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5OjxoCIsDbMgx7MM_l4CmA

On 21/08/2021 at 19:56, CollectorNo1 said:

Like me, I'm guessing most of us on here are awaiting with anticipation and bated breath the release of the RM's next edition of the Great Engravers (WW RA THE GOTHIC CROWN).

Going on the design of the Alderny coins of 2 sets, the RM are surely going to go out of their way to come up with something special.

Jody Clarke,now head of the Commonwealth mint, designed the obverse portrait of QEII In the Gothic style for this edition and I assume he will also be designing the RM's version. Will it be the same design or has he held back something different for the RM??

I never purchased The Three Graces or the Una and the Lion when they came out. The Gothic Crown has to be my favourite coin engraved by WW infact my favourite coin ever. As I doubt I will ever own an original 1847 unless I win the lottery...I will be trying for this reproduction when it comes out but, after the Hic-ups (Being polite) with some of the RM's latest coins/sets especially the 2oz QB's Silver proof's I'm very wary of paying out a lot of money and we know these are not going to be cheap....only to take delivery if I'm lucky enough to purchase in the 10 micro seconds before they are "Out of stock" To find Milkspots or scratches when delivered.

Will the RM also go with the  2 coin sets like the Alderney version? I'm quite sure we will have a 2oz and 5oz Silver proof coin and a 10oz at some point, not to mention the Gold version, but Gold doesn't Milkspot.

Knowing there is going to be a good chance that this could be a QB's Mark II scenario....... ( The question is.....To buy or not to Buy?

No don't buy it.

I implore no one else to either.

It's a terrible idea. Just don't do it. 

On 21/08/2021 at 19:56, CollectorNo1 said:

Buy if you like it but like you said the rm is a huge gamble. 

I'm a ramblin not a gamblin man!