• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Your story

I am entitled to be

3 minutes ago, CadmiumGreen said:

Well to be fair, I don’t think you’re far off!🤣

Luv ya @HerefordBullyun!!

Earned as a crayon eating dysfunctional veteran!

image.png.7488816e172c5648b2858c89804e0ff3.png

Edited by HerefordBullyun

Central bankers are politicians disguised as economists or bankers. They’re either incompetent or liars. So, either way, you’re never going to get a valid answer.” - Peter Schiff

Sound money is not a guarantee of a free society, but a free society is impossible without sound money. We are currently a society enslaved by debt.

If you are a new member and want to know why we stack PMs look at this link https://www.thesilverforum.com/topic/56131-videos-of-significance/#comment-381454

Just now, HerefordBullyun said:

I am entitled to be

Earned as a crayon eating dysfuntional veteran!

Royal Marines? As we all know our Marines are a breed unto themselves!

…and with all endearment and appreciation for our strong Navy-Marine integration…this is what makes action into demonstrable results!!

…by the way, I am really appreciating the jovial interaction…I’ve been going through some $#!+ state stuff the past month and enjoy the camaraderie on TSF! 

1 minute ago, CadmiumGreen said:

Royal Marines? As we all know our Marines are a breed unto themselves!

…and with all endearment and appreciation for our strong Navy-Marine integration…this is what makes action into demonstrable results!!

…by the way, I am really appreciating the jovial interaction…I’ve been going through some $#!+ state stuff the past month and enjoy the camaraderie on TSF! 

I spent 7 years attached to Commando brigade.

Central bankers are politicians disguised as economists or bankers. They’re either incompetent or liars. So, either way, you’re never going to get a valid answer.” - Peter Schiff

Sound money is not a guarantee of a free society, but a free society is impossible without sound money. We are currently a society enslaved by debt.

If you are a new member and want to know why we stack PMs look at this link https://www.thesilverforum.com/topic/56131-videos-of-significance/#comment-381454

3 minutes ago, HerefordBullyun said:

I spent 7 years attached to Commando brigade.

Respectable! Yeah, I recall your posts!! Truly awesome, crayon eater!!🥰

Honestly, salute to you and others for your dedication and service…the sacrifices we endure. Humbled.

I got into PM in early February of this year.  So I’m a noob as well.  Always take care of your personal and family expenses first.   Anything that is extra, should go into retirement savings.  Whether or not retirement savings is buying PM or blue chip stocks, that is a discussion you need to have with your financial advisor or financial planner.  

Buying PM can be slow and steady, it is not a race.  If you can only afford 1 oz of silver per month, that’s OK.   Everybody’s circumstances in life are different.  What one person does (or doesn’t do) may be the correct decision, while for another person it isn’t.  

To quote Ralph Emerson: life is a journey, not a destination.    The same can be said of stacking PMs.  Stack PM at your pace and what works for you.  And in the end, everything will turn out well because you took the time to think about your future and took action to meet those goals. 

23 hours ago, HerefordBullyun said:

I am entitled to be

Earned as a crayon eating dysfunctional veteran!

you can always supplement the crayons with window licking..... its an award winning diet

It does not matter how slowly you go so long as you do not stop.

1 minute ago, Gordy said:

you can always supplement the crayons with window licking..... its an award winning diet

I progressed from window licking to crayon eating now - hence I fart rainbows 💨🌈

42 minutes ago, HerefordBullyun said:

I progressed from window licking to crayon eating now - hence I fart rainbows 💨🌈

thats why you say you take pride in your ability to fart 'sweet chariots'

It does not matter how slowly you go so long as you do not stop.

• 2 weeks later...
On 22/07/2021 at 21:56, Hendo said:

please do not answer this post if you feel it’s too personal please ignore it other than commenting about how rude and invasive my post is.

How rude and invasive your post is !!!! 😡🤬 Jokes aside... 🤭 I'll try to give some background.
I'm a man in my late 30s, employee, average salary, renting with a couple of colleagues (being single and with my salary I can't afford to start a mortgage for now). I don't live in the country where I was born and raised. Italian living in the UK (almost 7 years), which gives me the chance to keep my Gold/Silver in two different countries (I travel to my birthplace on holiday 2-3 times per year) and protect me against geopolitical risk. Planning to increase that protection soon, applaying for the British citizenship and passport (love being both Italian and British).
As I said recently in another topic, I came across PM randomly four years ago, thanks to Mike Malooney on youtube. It sparked my curiosity, I've never known anything about money before (despite being passionate for history). I'm always thirsty for knowledge. Since then I've never stopped putting a bigger slice of my savings into Gold and Silver. I've always been reasonably good at saving money, and all I had to do is convert it into Precious Metals. In bigger units at first, then a quarter ounce every couple of months.
The only very expensive passion I have is travelling, I try to see a new place on the other side of the planet every year (bloody pandemic, I should have gone to south america in march 2020), so it's not very difficult for me to be disciplined.
Fast forward four years I saved ten ounces of gold and some 150 ounces of silver, divided between UK and Italy in two different locations each. Some of my Britannias and American Buffalos sleep always with me at home 🤣. Yes because I see my gold/silver as my savings for the retirement, but I'm also a greedy bastard who loves to watch them and touch them 🤑. I'm also happy to have my 6 months expenses saved in cash (and in the bank account) and a limited amount of cryptocurrencies.

On 22/07/2021 at 21:56, Hendo said:

I am more interested in if you have saved for a long time, if you have flipped PM for profit or if you just bought at the right time. 

I never cared that much about the price. Gold has value, which is in my opinion more important than the price. I bought in 2017 at 900£ and I bought in 2021 at 1400£.
I try to be patient and play the long game. Luckily for me I have a good self control. Except when it comes to women 🤪 but we all have weaknesses.

My mother started my addiction when I was 10 years old she bought me and my brother a couple of commemorative coins each one celebrating the silver jubilee and one of Churchill.

They when I became 21 she bought me a half sovereign ring, a 1982 sovereign which I still have, when I saw it I fell in love with sovereigns and would buy half and full sovereigns each week when I was paid, recall paying £45 for a half and £65 for a full sovereign from my local jewelers, it does add up as I wasn't paying into a pension fund so this was my pension fund, trying to reach the 10oz a year combined...in 2005 I started to buy silver coins when I found a bar celebrating the place I got married in after emigrating to massachusetts...then I got bored and would ebay unusual coins until I made up set, then I sold a chunk of ases I'd collected to buy gold jewelry, then one day atmy local dealers in florida I got talking about peacevdolkars and he said he thought they'd go up in value as their centenary was coming up in a year so I said I thinki I'll make up a set in 65 cos the 23 id looked at was under $100, he said it would cost me a lot and I'd probably not do it, now I'm one shy of a full date set and he was right, it cost a bundle but he was also right in that the prices have jumped and my most expensive have doubled and then some since i bought them.

It's a wierd addiction but as long as you're not tied to any one coin or set that you invest everything in then it's also a nice money maker as well as store of wealth.

Stacking/collecting PMs is very new to me, I only started in March although I've always been somewhat interested in PMs somewhere in the back of my head...

I've always been a collector, stamps, starwars figures etc. as a kid.  I've also been fortunate, always been on the treadmill, working all the hours I can, even holding down a couple of jobs so I could save a deposit for a house back in the day.  Years later with marriage, kids, house moves etc. I've always thought I'll never afford PMs but carried on collecting 'stuff'.  I've still got my starwars figures and finished a complete run, a couple of toy cars on the drive - my hobbies have just got more expensive 😂

This year, I decided to buy some birth year Britts for the kids, now teenagers then carried on browsing, other silver coins/series, country specific, silver, gold, modern vs. historic, bullion vs. proofs... down the rabbit hole!

I found TSF, Youtube, BackyardBullion, 2 is 1 etc. and signed up, decided on my goal (for the kids), setup an .xlsx and buy each month as and when I have any pocket money left over.  It's a hobby for me at this stage but I'll standarise monthly purchases to reach my goal to gift it to kids, towards a house depost etc.  Anything extra is a bonus, a very rainy day fund.

Edited by CaptCaveMan

Looking to complete a date run of Bu Sovs and still require; 2010, 2011, 2018 & 2019

I only got into precious metals because Chris Silver hired me as a private investigator to try and solve the forum's greatest mystery; no, nothing unimportant like the meaning of life.

I am trying to establish, for the history books, if the legendary "I am the captain of this boat!" @sixgun and "wor lad, divvin' howk ya sneck!" @HawkHybrid are actually the same person.

My investigations are leading me down into the depths of a rabbit hole, filled with twisted warrens and a labyrinth

of endless pathways that change direction with every step I take.

If only there was some sort of crayon-eating, flourscent-light-rainbow-farting, ex-marine with a face (as I believe he once eloquently described it) "like John Prescott arse" to be my guide.

Alas; the mystery continues and the precious metal pile (which definately keeps being lost in a series of unfortunate boating accidents) only gets bigger.

The inferior man argues about his rights, while the superior man imposes duties upon himself.

He who has a why can bear almost any how.

Every act of beauty is a revolt against the modern world.

I’ll have a good go at responding to the OP.

I come from what I would describe as normal working class family, parents divorced when i was 4, had a single parent household for a few years and then parents met partners/re married when i was around 10/11. Looking back we were poor, especially before my mum re married but to be honest everyone i knew was in a similar position and we weren’t any worse off for it.

My perception of wealth (I remember it well) would be going around someones house that was just nice. Thats it. Nice. Litterally a 2 up 2 down on a rough street, but if they had matching carpets and doors that shut and matched, ok furniture and matching cutlery i thought they were rich.

My main focus when leaving school was basically get to work, get a trade, start earning and get into property. The only people i knew with nice houses and money were tradesmen! I wasn’t really aware of high flying corporate jobs or people, that was just alien to me and something that someone else did somewhere else.

I got to work and by 22 managed to buy my first house. By 26 i had 5 houses. But i was nackerd (100 hours a week can do that), skint & in debt (5 houses does that), and also had met my current Mrs and just wanted to enjoy life a bit more. My main focus then was to clear the short term debt ie credit cards loans etc I’d put into the houses, but also build a bit of a buffer incase it went tits up.

I’ve always had an interest in gold, but never really understood how, where or what to buy. I kept an eye on the price over the years and when I found myself in the position of being debt free (not including mortgages), with additional passive income i decided time to diversify and buy gold while it’s under £1000 an ounce - I’d learned from my years of keeping an eye on the price this was a good price. I found this forum and it helped me mould a strategy early on and I’ve pretty much stuck to it. I’ve bought on here and all the main dealers. I have just shy of 40oz which i accumulated over a couple of years. I’ve slowed/stopped now as this forum helped me discover another string to my bow - S&S ISA and a SIPP. Pretty much focused on these now and generally just having a diversified portfolio. I look to add to property, gold, ISA and SIPP but all gradually and maintaining a pre determined share. 

My perception of wealth has definitely changed, mainly being that often it’s exactly that - a perception. Everything is relative to your own situation and the more i have accumulated in PMs or otherwise the more aware i am that there is always someone else with a bigger pile, so look after your own pile and eventually you’ll be pleasantly suprised at how it can grow.