• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

What 1 oz gold Britannia's to stack?

I am thinking about buying 1 ounce gold brits when funds allow, but I am debating what ones to go for... the older 22ct ones are a bit cheaper, the newer 24ct ones have better security.

Both are CGT exempt, So I am curious.. Would you be just as happy buying a 22ct Britannia 1 oz as a new 24ct?

Edited by watchesandwhisky

certainly not against 22ct, in fact most of my small stack is 22ct as i have bullion sovereigns mainly:) But I have never bought/sold or owned a 1 oz gold coin before! 

They are looking like the tempting option, I do like the new 24ct ones but im looking to get premiums down a bit.

Edited by watchesandwhisky

Look I am the last person to have a opinion on gold, I've just started, I have half a dozen sov's ranging 1914 to 2021. The newer they get the less love I have for them. With silver, the newer they get the less love I have for them. Usually I wouldn't comment but you are a fellow treasure hunter that's about to break rank. Sleep in it bud. 

My stack is currently 7 sovs and a 1/4 gold Britannia so dont have much , but I know what you mean, the newer ones are kinda boring. But i know from the years I have been doing this that when it comes to liquidating part of the stack bullion is so much easier than anything with a premium - So I think low premiums is the way i need to go.

That said even though krugs are about the cheapest thing going I am not interested in them at all.

Will certainly sleep on it. Thanks:)

I've seen a lot of bullion Brits and never come across a pre 9999 one! There is no reason for me to buy one in the future given the choice, in fact I'd try and avoid them. For stacking I would just go for 'best value' or 'pre-owned' or whatever from whichever top tier UK dealer is cheapest at the time. The security features are meaningless to me, just a gimmick. I test all bullion the same way whatever it is.

You're talking stacking gold I presume so the difference in the alloy shouldn't matter. Assuming the old brit designs mirror the 1oz silver ones, I would go for the older ones to add a bit of interest.

Profile picture with thanks to Carl Vernon

If you can get any or all of the other 4 22K Britannia designs by Philip Nathan, that would be my recommendation. The charioteer, Una and lion, helmeted Athena and seated Britannia by Philip Nathan are scarcer and more collectible than the original/standard standing Britannia design.

Edited by trozau

Really nice humble opinions on this thread which are a joy to read. Genuinely nice to see.

I think the earlier Brits are very attractive, and quite different from the most recent Brits.

At the end of the day they are Bullion so take your pick. 

Best

Dicker

Not my circus, not my monkeys

2 hours ago, trozau said:

If you can get any or all of the other 4 22K Britannia designs by Philip Nathan, that would be my recommendation. The charioteer, Una and lion, helmeted Athena and seated Britannia by Philip Nathan are scarcer and more collectible than the original/standard standing Britannia design.

The seated Britannia didn't come in bullion, only proof

Looking for 1965, 1981 and 1983-1984 GOLD Ghanaian coins

5 hours ago, watchesandwhisky said:

Interesting you would avoid the pre .999 ones! that was what I wondered if people would feel that way. 

a best value mixed date 22ct one is 17 quid cheaper than a new .999 one.

it isnt a lot, but i guess it could add up.

Is that taking the purity/gold content into account (I guess it must be)? If so - interesting!

I stack pure silver and pure gold (apart from Sovs, which are a special case) so I like to keep things simple, I am a simple man so maybe that's just me! Brits have been 24ct for enough years now that the thought that it's the 'standard' for bullion was with me even when I started five or so years ago. Having a few of them now I wouldn't want to go for anything else.

23 minutes ago, watchesandwhisky said:

Its mixed dates (with no option to choose years) so a random draw really - id wager one in 5 might be a different design though! 

I used BBP at the time and usually got one of the latest years tbh, not that I was bothered - I just wanted one ounce of gold! But there was a saving over getting brand new ones that way rather than choosing them to start with, I guess just because it's not guaranteed/they like to make money where they can. I would think if there's a slow supply of the new ones (like silver Brits at times this year) you're more likely to get an older one.

3 hours ago, trozau said:

Is there a premium already on these out of interest?

I am stacking both to pre 2013 22ct and post 2012 24ct. All of them contain 1oz of pure gold after all. Sometimes you get the pre 2013 cheaper from some dealers. After all when stacking its all about buying the lowest per oz. 

The Nathan design pre 2013 are lovely and sometimes you get lucky and get one by chance. Normally they attract a premium if you are after them specifically. You can generally get some from Chards and BBP.

The 2013 is an oddity. It's 24 carat but thinner and bigger than all the others. You either pick it up at a discount (Bairds) or pay a premium.

Bottom line, different dealers take different views, its up to you to decide what you want and where to buy for the best deal.

Happy stacking

For me personally, i would have no issue buying the old or new design as long at is was from a trusted source. I actually really quite like the old design and it certainly adds a little variation to things. And as @Geovest mentions, you can sometimes get lucky and get the old ones cheaper than the new design. 

On 22/07/2021 at 13:32, watchesandwhisky said:

My stack is currently 7 sovs and a 1/4 gold Britannia so dont have much , but I know what you mean, the newer ones are kinda boring. But i know from the years I have been doing this that when it comes to liquidating part of the stack bullion is so much easier than anything with a premium - So I think low premiums is the way i need to go.

That said even though krugs are about the cheapest thing going I am not interested in them at all.

Will certainly sleep on it. Thanks:)

Krugs do nothing for me either but apparently they are the worlds most popular coin or so I’m told.

1 hour ago, Hunter87 said:

Krugs do nothing for me either but apparently they are the worlds most popular coin or so I’m told.

Could it be something to do with having Paul Kruger's face and beard on them? I prefer Britannia in all her manifestations, esp. her last, which I have to confess to finding rather attractive, the willowy robes especially (read into that what you like!).

1 hour ago, rdhcustance said:

Could it be something to do with having Paul Kruger's face and beard on them? I prefer Britannia in all her manifestations, esp. her last, which I have to confess to finding rather attractive, the willowy robes especially (read into that what you like!).

That is slightly unfair😜

You have to at least compare the same sides of the coins.

Obverse: Some would say Attractive Queen v rather ugly dude (others may disagree)

Reverse: Beautiful regal Britannia v beautiful regal springbok

Take your pick. In the end, both an ounce of fine gold, hold their value equally, easy to buy, lovely to hold and easy to sell.

On 22/07/2021 at 12:49, watchesandwhisky said:

I am thinking about buying 1 ounce gold brits when funds allow, but I am debating what ones to go for... the older 22ct ones are a bit cheaper, the newer 24ct ones have better security.

Both are CGT exempt, So I am curious.. Would you be just as happy buying a 22ct Britannia 1 oz as a new 24ct?

My / our age old advice for gold investors:

Buy at the lowest premium within reason.

"the newer 24ct ones have better security.". Does that mean they arrive in their own strongroom, with bulit in burglar alarm? (Mainly) a marketing gimmick!

Would you be just as happy buying a 22ct Britannia 1 oz as a new 24ct?

Some potential buyers might dislike the ultra-low-relief 2013, but then again some people love them.

They all contain a trou ounce of gold.

There is a bonus with the 22ct ones, you do get 1/11th of an ounce of silver / copper alloy thrown in at no extra cost. Free silver! No VAT! Think positive.

Chards

1 hour ago, Geovest said:

That is slightly unfair😜

You have to at least compare the same sides of the coins.

Obverse: Some would say Attractive Queen v rather ugly dude (others may disagree)

Reverse: Beautiful regal Britannia v beautiful regal springbok

Take your pick. In the end, both an ounce of fine gold, hold their value equally, easy to buy, lovely to hold and easy to sell.

Fair enough.