Jump to content
  • The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

    Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

  • Join The Silver Forum

    The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 13,000+ forum members.

Recommended Posts

25 minutes ago, Bigmarc said:

Nice one, I've been storing bits and bobs to hopefully get around to trying it myself. How did you do the mould?

I've got a couple of cast Iron molds which I'll be using for Copper and Aluminium soon. Thought I'd give the lead a go first as its easy to melt.

What bits do you have lying around?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Mainly copper. I have been toying with the idea of sand casting a copy of a 3d printed model. It's a bit pricey for all the equipment so will be interested to see how you get on.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Bigmarc said:

Mainly copper. I have been toying with the idea of sand casting a copy of a 3d printed model. It's a bit pricey for all the equipment so will be interested to see how you get on.

Yeh it is to start up.

But, im hoping to do this for years to come so hopefully will be worth it. Trouble is finding scrap metal for cheap/free.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Unfortunately I don't have the time or energy to warrant doing this to make money. Would be just a hobby for me. Luckily I am able to get hold of a few kilos from a plumber mate. I save it up and once a year, weigh it in and off to the coin shop I go. Because what's better than silver bullion? Free silver bullion!

There is this web page I read a lot, quiet helpful regarding what metal is in what. This guy says he can get up to 8 grams of palladium out of a organ. You can pick them up on Facebook fairly easy. I find it very interesting and may put it into practice one day. Otherwise just play the spot game. Contact scrappys and ask for a price.

https://www.scrapmetaljunkie.com/

Good luck, keep us posted. It will be nice to see it done without spending a fortune.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Impressive, out of interest how long did it take you? Your just using a blow torch and a frying pan? What kind of gas is it?

What are you going to do with the pieces you have made?

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Bigmarc said:

Impressive, out of interest how long did it take you? Your just using a blow torch and a frying pan? What kind of gas is it?

What are you going to do with the pieces you have made?

Took a couple of hours. once I get the hang of it im sure i'll get quicker.

Ive got a Propane powered furnace to use for Copper and Aluminium.

No idea what I'll do with it tbh, probably just keep it for the years ahead. I know people sell on ebay so thats another option.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 4 weeks later...

Ive been doing abit of melting here and there. Done alot more Aluminium and lead and started with some Copper the other day.

Im not happy with how the Copper has turned out. I've only got cast Iron molds which isnt great for Copper as it sticks. I'll pick up a Grpahite crucible and do them again in the future.

Any gueses on what the 3 bars of copper weight?

thumbnail_IMG20210420201132.thumb.jpg.e85b4223d47239d62caa5fe5bc598b0a.jpg

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, danmc82 said:

Ive been doing abit of melting here and there. Done alot more Aluminium and lead and started with some Copper the other day.

Im not happy with how the Copper has turned out. I've only got cast Iron molds which isnt great for Copper as it sticks. I'll pick up a Grpahite crucible and do them again in the future.

Any gueses on what the 3 bars of copper weight?

thumbnail_IMG20210420201132.thumb.jpg.e85b4223d47239d62caa5fe5bc598b0a.jpg

 

2 kilos each? It's hard to tell without having something to scale it against. Copper is quite hard to cast but these look pretty good.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MickB said:

2 kilos each? It's hard to tell without having something to scale it against. Copper is quite hard to cast but these look pretty good.

Wow, spot on with total weight 😃 Although each bar is different, the one on top is 1.6kg.

thumbnail_IMG20210420220650.thumb.jpg.8a450d6f8aea356f9903ecb84a101050.jpg

 

1 hour ago, Bigmarc said:

About 5kg?

I do like you posts, any chance of a pic of your furnace? 

Have you attempted to sell any?

Thanks. No not sold any. Dont intend to for a while as I'd like to build up a big stash first.

I'll give you the link to the furnace I use...

http://devil-forge.com/gas-furnaces/39-fb2m.html

They sell them for alot cheaper on ebay.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

I'm moving house next month. Ive got my eye on a corner in the garden and have pre warned the missus. I have a 3d printer so I May play around with sand casting some of my prints. What graphite design did you go for?

Edited by Bigmarc
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Bigmarc said:

I'm moving house next month. Ive got my eye on a corner in the garden and have pre warned the missus. I have a 3d printer so I May play around with sand casting some of my prints. What graphite design did you go for?

Just a standard bar. Smaller than the current bar size as a graphite mold gets very expensive at thise sizes. I may go for some coin shaped ones in the future.

Ive got my own little decking area for melting now, just need to finish it off. Bought a Keter storage box to keep all my gear in and out the hands of children.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 1 month later...

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...

Cookies & terms of service

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. By continuing to use this site you consent to the use of cookies and to our Privacy Policy & Terms of Use