• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Official Weight of Gold Sovereigns

I am going to be shot down, but I think the weight is 7.9880xxxx

Its an odd weight in g or Troy Oz so I suspect it was based on another coin - perhaps a Guinea?

Not my circus, not my monkeys

5 minutes ago, Martlet said:

Without looking it up i dont know the official specification but reckon it comes from the Coinage Act 1816. 

So do I, but I can't find a copy of it, and I have searched Hansard, and other online sources. I could try and ask the Royal Mint, but I have not had any response to my last questions about 2 or 3 years ago. I think I must be Persona Non Grata.

Edited by LawrenceChard
typo

Chards

12 minutes ago, LawrenceChard said:

So do I, but I can't find a copy of it, and I have searched Hansard, and other online sources. I could try and ask the Royal Mint, but I have not had any response to my last questions about 2 or 3 years ago. I think I must be Persona Non Grata.

Wikipedia points here https://archive.org/stream/statutesunitedk32britgoog#page/n436/mode/2up

45 minutes ago, LawrenceChard said:

Thanks.

I made start, but is there a version in English?🙂

After 2 out of 7 pages, I now need my eyes testing, or a good night's sleep.

:lol:  It can be hard going.  The "f" for "s" do me head, inconsistent with Silver, paffing (passing), Sixty fix (six) and my favourite finefs (finess).  How did we rule the globe?  

Anyway, its apparent that gold sovereign isn't defined at all, except by inference.  There's how much silver can be minted how many shillings, which is known £ value of a troy oz gold.  Thats divided by weight (~373g), to arrive at 7.98g.  I think, i tapped out mid-way through. 

Edited by Martlet

5 minutes ago, Martlet said:

:lol:  It can be hard going.  The "f" for "s" do me head, inconsistent with Silver, paffing (passing), Sixty fix (six) and my favourite finefs (finess).  How did we rule the globe?  

Anyway, its apparent that gold sovereign isn't defined at all, except by inference.  There's how much silver can be minted how many shillings, which is known £ value of a troy oz gold.  Thats divided by weight (~373g), to arrive at 7.98g.  I think, i tapped out mid-way through. 

You are right, and I'm not surprised!

Chards

On 23/07/2020 at 22:16, Martlet said:

It's a good job the coin is called a Sovereign and not, for instance, a Honeysuckle... 😉

• 11 months later...
On 29/07/2020 at 19:33, Prophecy said:

What I find funny is that everywhere I look to find the gram weight of a half sovereign, it's never half what they say is a full sovereign. OZT conversion numb skulls.

That's because innumerati, including The Royal Mint introduce rounding errors, then dealers, collectors, and other "experts" copy them, often introducing more errors, in a game of "Chinese Whispers".

I have just posted a accurate calculation here:

Chards

When you ask official correct weight: Do you mean weight 'as minted', or official as in 'legal tender' weight? Not quite the same thing.

My understanding in the legal documents it's often defined as not below a certain weight, not necessarily the freshly minted weight.

I do understand they are two different things.

4 hours ago, SidS said:

When you ask official correct weight: Do you mean weight 'as minted', or official as in 'legal tender' weight? Not quite the same thing.

My understanding in the legal documents it's often defined as not below a certain weight, not necessarily the freshly minted weight.

I do understand they are two different things.

By "Official Weight of Gold Sovereigns", I mean the published specifications. These are what @Hotdog referred to, and to which I responded here:

I believe these specifications are iether included in The Coinage Act 1816, or part of a separate, but related document.

Hotdog has already mentioned allowances for error, tolerance, or remedy, which I will deal with in more detail later.

Minium legal weight is a lower threshold limit, below which they would, in their day, have been removed from circulation, and replaced or exchanged.

Chards

7.9 grams

Full Sovereign - weight 7.9 grams, 22.05mm in diameter with a Fine Gold content 7.32 grams. Half Sovereign - weight 3.99 grams, 19.30mm in diameter with a Fine Gold content 3.675 grams. Quarter Sovereign - weight 2 grams, 13.5 mm in diameter with a Fine Gold content 1.83 grams.
via: 
www.goldketten.org
Edited by jessica5090