• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Blehhhh talks about bullion dealer's prices

Blehhhh

21 minutes ago, LawrenceChard said:

For the last month or more, we have not been able to keep up with demand. 

It is common knowledge that there has been panic-level buying mainly of gold, but also of silver. 

This was at a time when we were having to make decisions and changes daily, about safe working for our staff, for our customers, and for ourselves. 

I have mentioned much of this elsewhere on TSF, and it is also detailed on our website. 

Some of our staff have childcare priorities, but are managing to work around this, at home; this includes almost all of our customer service team. 

We have installed a new telephone system, equipped newly home-based staff with company computers, provided safe distance working for the small core who pick, check, pack, receive deliveries. We even bought very expensive masks for all staff. Some staff have vulnerable family members at home, and not all our staff can contribute fully from home, but we are quite pleased that we have been able to cope with some of the increased demand. 

To give a perspective, one day we were getting 300 incoming telephone calls per hour, and each answered call was probably taking 2 to 3 times longer to answer than normal. That day we only managed to answer about 2% of the incoming calls. However, I think we did manage to pack and ship almost everything where we had stock. 

Our "small" sales increased by about 50% in that period, while one of our biggest sales value ranges increased by a factor of 7. If we could have fielded twice the number of trained staff, we might have coped with 10 times the normal demand, but not 50 times. 

Most of our sales are of gold, but we also sell silver bullion, and numismatic coins. 

Whether some dealers were cheaper than us on some products was not at the top of our priority list. Trying to source competitively priced bullion products was at or near the top of our priorities. From experience, I know that some hysterical buyers will go elsewhere and pay rip-off prices from other dealers just because they happen to have physical stock, and this is frustrating for us, as we try very hard to achieve a fair and sensible balance between price and availability. 

Now that demand has eased back to only about 4 times normal levels, we should be able to comparison-check our silver bars, and some of our other secondary bullion products. If you want silver bars in a hurry, you might choose to buy them from Baird, (it will make our packing staff happy), but if you are not desperate, then I expect you will start to see better deals soon, including from us. I did copy your comments to our management team. 

In our silver blog page, we state our preference for silver coins rather than silver bars, and we explain why, including CGT on British ones. We also offer VAT free silver, for storage in Guernsey. Although I was happy to be able to source physical stock of kilo silver bars, I would be more excited to get a big delivery of silver Britannias (two tonnes would be a good start), but the Royal Mint are on reduced production, and are concentrating on gold and collector coins, plus producing some face masks, so we are all having to wait for our silver coins. Foreign mints are in similar positions, and most, if not all, have increased their prices. 

I understand that, as an investor or consumer, you want the lowest possible price. So do I, but I also prefer to use products from ethical sources and honest companies. If you will excuse me for talking about other companies for a moment, I would never happily buy anything from Currys , Halfords, Dixons, or P.C. World, because I strongly dislike their whole business ethics, and because you can always find better value elsewhere. You are, of course, always at liberty to make your own choices. 

I had probably best stop here, because I could quite easily write a book or two, if I have not done so already! 

c8ce7507aae8e8109479faba9ed27042.gif

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, LawrenceChard said:

We don't try to match Bairds, or anyone else. Beating them yes!

How about honesty, transparency, advice, opinions, professionalism? I think we were well ahead of them while they were closed down recently, so I heard.

Oh, and BTW:

https://taxfreegold.co.uk/bairdgoldline.html

@ChrisSilver might want to shift this to a copyright or ethics thread, but...

If you would like to know how I feel about Baird's copyright infringement, all you need to do is ask, meanwhile...

I took both of the 1974 Krugerrand photos they used, and I processed them. I think I used Paint Shop Pro in those days before we invested in Photoshop.

Anybody care to guess how long it took me to get them looking OK?

I noticed that @Blehhhh is from Ireland...

Don't ask me what I think of GoldCore! 🙂

Chards

12 minutes ago, LawrenceChard said:

If you would like to know how I feel about Baird's copyright infringement, all you need to do is ask, meanwhile...

I took both of the 1974 Krugerrand photos they used, and I processed them. I think I used Paint Shop Pro in those days before we invested in Photoshop.

What do you think of GoldCore?

1 hour ago, ChrisSilver said:

I have moved the recent posts in the other topic to here, as to not let that topic go off rail.

The cheapest in stock 1KG Silver Metalor bars in the UK, I can currently find is at Chards.

@Blehhhh if you can see a current cheaper UK or EU dealer (with delivery) who have 1KG Silver Metalor Bars in stock, please let us know as everyone is always looking for good deals.

Thanks for your time to move thread and sorry to derail.

Chards list 1kg bars at 443, although they are not showing in stock now.

https://www.chards.co.uk/1kg-vat-free-silver-new-bar-metalor/10164

Baird's have 1kg bars at 435.

https://www.bairdmint.com/products/1kg-silver-cast-bar

I don't know why but when bars were in stock in chards the price was even higher I think.

I don't know if there is any reason to pay more for one bar personally but others can correct me.

Anyway, sorry typing this from phone which is not ideal. Can do better tomorrow.

48 minutes ago, LawrenceChard said:

I am and alas there is really no where to buy here at half decent prices. I mainly rely on UK.

Edit. I know nothing about goldcore other then they never have stock so do tell.

• Founder & Administrator
3 minutes ago, Blehhhh said:

Thanks for your time to move thread and sorry to derail.

Chards list 1kg bars at 443, although they are not showing in stock now.

https://www.chards.co.uk/1kg-vat-free-silver-new-bar-metalor/10164

Baird's have 1kg bars at 435.

https://www.bairdmint.com/products/1kg-silver-cast-bar

I don't know why but when bars were in stock in chards the price was even higher I think.

I don't know if there is any reason to pay more for one bar personally but others can correct me.

Anyway, sorry typing this from phone which is not ideal. Can do better tomorrow.

I was specifically asking about Metalor bars. 

My posts are my personal opinions, they do not constitute advice or financial advice.

Please Follow / Like / Share to help spread the word of The Silver Forum:
TSF Instagram - TSF YouTube channel - TSF Facebook pageTSF Twitter page - TSF Threads (used for sever status updates)

Discounts / Offers
COTR Vouchers for Premium Members

Official TSF branded NGC label via COR grading
50% discount off of TSF mugs for Platinum Premium Members. (see info in Platinum Lounge)
Platinum Premium Members: Offers from selected Dealers - 15 dealers currently in the programme

Sorry I may be coming across badly.

I do think chards are very well priced relative to everyone else.

Initial post I was just pointing out that Baird's seem to be cheaper across the board, even compared to chards. (When same or similar product is offered).

Was just trying to get chards to give us nicer prices😂

27 minutes ago, Blehhhh said:

Sorry I may be coming across badly.

I do think chards are very well priced relative to everyone else.

Initial post I was just pointing out that Baird's seem to be cheaper across the board, even compared to chards. (When same or similar product is offered).

Was just trying to get chards to give us nicer prices😂

I'm a bit lost at this point. 

http://goldprice.eu5.net/#

This site clearly shows the prices, as of right now. Chards and Bairds are pretty evenly mixed across gold products. Chards are cheaper right now on Soverigns and Britannias. Bairds are cheaper on some other stuff. Pretty even. 

Regarding silver, Bairds bars are cheaper at the moment, but you're comparing dealer own brand bars to Metalor who are one of the better known names. Matters not one jot to me (as you know I bought a Bairds bar recently), but nevertheless it's not a like-for-like comparison.

It's also a particularly odd moment in time to use as a sole reference point when claiming one dealer is consistently cheaper than another. How long have you been comparing, I hope not just during a global pandemic! 

I have used both dealers with positive experiences in the past. It's just a bit unclear what you're trying to achieve here - a discount? Good luck 😄

39 minutes ago, Melon said:

I'm a bit lost at this point. 

http://goldprice.eu5.net/#

This site clearly shows the prices, as of right now. Chards and Bairds are pretty evenly mixed across gold products. Chards are cheaper right now on Soverigns and Britannias. Bairds are cheaper on some other stuff. Pretty even. 

Regarding silver, Bairds bars are cheaper at the moment, but you're comparing dealer own brand bars to Metalor who are one of the better known names. Matters not one jot to me (as you know I bought a Bairds bar recently), but nevertheless it's not a like-for-like comparison.

It's also a particularly odd moment in time to use as a sole reference point when claiming one dealer is consistently cheaper than another. How long have you been comparing, I hope not just during a global pandemic! 

I have used both dealers with positive experiences in the past. It's just a bit unclear what you're trying to achieve here - a discount? Good luck 😄

Can I suggest that you provide links on both chards and Baird's to relevant products you are saying chards are cheaper for transparency.

I'm not saying you are wrong, just saying it's necessary for correctness as I have already shown link above to be incorrect in cases.

1 minute ago, Blehhhh said:

Can I suggest that you provide links on both chards and Baird's to relevant products you are saying chards are cheaper for transparency.

I'm not saying you are wrong, just saying it's necessary for correctness as I have already shown link above to be incorrect in cases.

Every single item in the table is hyperlinked. Literally click it and you'll see the exact item on the relevant dealer website.

I don't think you've shown there to be incorrect cases, if you did I missed it. I think as the other chap pointed out earlier you're just not factoring in postage. If you want to remove postage from the prices click the green box that says "- postage" at the bottom of the page. It's a very helpful website. 

2 minutes ago, Melon said:

Every single item in the table is hyperlinked. Literally click it and you'll see the exact item on the relevant dealer website.

I don't think you've shown there to be incorrect cases, if you did I missed it. I think as the other chap pointed out earlier you're just not factoring in postage. If you want to remove postage from the prices click the green box that says "- postage" at the bottom of the page. It's a very helpful website. 

Ok, Ill do it for you for two products you mentioned.

Chards Britania link from goldprice link, product is out of stock and cant be ordered.

https://www.chards.co.uk/gold-britannia-1-ounce-coin/britannia-bullion-coin-pre-owned/2759

Chards Sovereign link is correct and orderable.

However, its goldprice is missing the cheaper sovereigns on Bairds which is actually the same price as Chards secondary market.

https://www.bairdmint.com/products/queen-elizabeth-ii-decimal-sovereign

@Blehhhh Did Lawrence say "hey guys, what do you think of our prices?" if that happened fine

Otherwise I think it's quite rude to moan about Chards prices when he is on here to chat

What's the point, as I said if you know other dealers with lower prices buy from them? 

Just moaning for moanings sake and telling someone who has been in business 50 years what profit margins they're suppose to have

Help thread for members new to silver/gold stacking/collecting

The Money Printing Myth the Fed can't and don't money print - Deflation ahead, not inflation 

2 minutes ago, Kman said:

@Blehhhh Did Lawrence say "hey guys, what do you think of our prices?" if that happened fine

Otherwise I think it's quite rude to moan about Chards prices when he is on here to chat

What's the point, as I said if you know other dealers with lower prices buy from them? 

Just moaning for moanings sake and telling someone who has been in business 50 years what profit margins they're suppose to have

He's a dealer in a bullion forum heavily scoped around buying and selling bullion...and it's rude of me to question premiums....

Come on dude, plus I have already commended chards on their prices relative to most of the market.

It's by having competition in the market, the you and I get the best deals.

4 minutes ago, Blehhhh said:

Ok, Ill do it for you for two products you mentioned.

Chards Britania link from goldprice link, product is out of stock and cant be ordered.

https://www.chards.co.uk/gold-britannia-1-ounce-coin/britannia-bullion-coin-pre-owned/2759

Chards Sovereign link is correct and orderable.

However, its goldprice is missing the cheaper sovereigns on Bairds which is actually the same price as Chards secondary market.

https://www.bairdmint.com/products/queen-elizabeth-ii-decimal-sovereign

On the Britannia, yes it's out of stock. Weird times. It happens. I don't doubt it'll be back in stock soon enough, and the premium will be the same. 

On the Sovereign, the one you linked is the one shown on the website and at the price shown on the website. So not sure what is missing. 

All of this is besides the point. The resources are there for you. Pick what you like. Both are good dealers. But what is the point of this thread? 

8 hours ago, Kman said:

when someone asks can you do it a little cheaper.jpg

mona lisa.jpg

What started off as a small hole has now turned into a large Quarry.

Time to stop digging and start back filling.....me thinks.....

I can rent you a jcb at a good rate         😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂🚜🚜🚜🚜🚜🚜🚜🚜🚜🚜🚜🚜🚜🚜⛏️⛏️⛏️⛏️⛏️⛏️⛏️⛏️⛏️⛏️⛏️⛏️⛏️⛏️

Just to prove my point, can anyone find anything on Chards thats cheaper then Bairds?.

I'm considering buying a Mexican 50 gold Pesos today and the prices illustrate my point perfectly!.

Chards - 1802.99

Bairds - 1698.20

Crazy difference. BTW, whats everyones thoughts on this coin?.

1 minute ago, Blehhhh said:

Just to prove my point, can anyone find anything on Chards thats cheaper then Bairds?.

I'm considering buying a Mexican 50 gold Pesos today and the prices illustrate my point perfectly!.

Chards - 1802.99

Bairds - 1698.20

It’s a nice coin, full of lovely gold

4 minutes ago, Blehhhh said:

Chards - 1802.99

Bairds - 1698.20

I doubt anyone can be arsed tbh, but if want to look go ahead.

That coin is a bit non mainstream for a bullion coin.

Are you looking in order to buy or just stirring things up. 

Too much time on everyone's hands I guess😉

Profile picture with thanks to Carl Vernon

3 minutes ago, Blehhhh said:

Chards - 1802.99

Bairds - 1698.20

That's a new topic.... Thoughts on this coin 

Archived