• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Is a 100 oz bar too big????

silverdocket

I'm contemplating buying a 100oz  bar of silver... if I can get it at the right price. One is available at the moment quite close to me .

It's something I've wanted to own since I started stacking silver.

I remember seeing backyardbullion with one and I said dam I want one of them....( actually a lot more but let's not be greedy )

My big question/problem is...  when the time comes to move it on how difficult will it be to sell it?

It obviously depends on silver prices....

Do many forum members stack them? 

Most likely it will have to be sold within the Irish market thanks to Brexit/ taxes/ delivery  and so on.....

All comments appreciated even the  negative ones lol 

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A minus is that it can be pretty hard to move, especially if silver goes up considerably in the middle term.

Two pluses can be a low premium and the unique feeling of holding such a bar! 😎

Instagram: gildeon_67

My thoughts on big boy bars are....if you are happy to hold onto them for longer to find a buyer then go for it (if it is in your budgeting).

If you are happy to sell it for spot price to a dealer when the time comes, then go for it.

If you want to play with a 3.104 kg block of metal then go for it!

Bottom line, make sure you plan your exit for the big bar and understand that the amount of buyers out there will be considerably less than for smaller bars and coins. Not everyone has a spare £1500 to lump out on a bar. Those that do have that cash might well just go for 100x £15 coins just to have the flexibility of size and sellability.

Doesn't really answer the question I suppose, but if you plan for it you could get one!

Visit my website for all my Hand Poured Silver: http://backyardbullion.com

And check out my YouTube channel 

https://www.youtube.com/backyardbullion

I have a considerable amount of silver yet no piece bigger than 2oz. One minus, it's harder to test, even with a specific gravity test as the density could be right on average over the whole bar with something heavier inside and something light outside, apart from the surface which will be silver. Same for a magnet test. You'd need a Sigma Pro with the extention bridge for big bars to be sure. I would rather have 3 one kg bars, I think they are much more liquid but if you really want it, go for it - as long as it doesn't make up a huge part of your stack. If you have 200oz now, don't buy it, if you have 750 or 1000 plus, on you go, as long as it's from a trustworthy source

@silverdocket

The question that you need to ask yourself if this: I bought the bar, what next ? How long  do I keep the bar and my money tide-up in silver, if it is 3 years or more, then yes it is a good investment.  If it less then 3 years then stick with lower bars (3 kg bars are a nice addition to any stack and are easier to resale).

Just my 2 cents, don't take this as financial advise.  

56 minutes ago, silenceissilver said:

I have a considerable amount of silver yet no piece bigger than 2oz. One minus, it's harder to test, even with a specific gravity test as the density could be right on average over the whole bar with something heavier inside and something light outside, apart from the surface which will be silver. Same for a magnet test. You'd need a Sigma Pro with the extention bridge for big bars to be sure. I would rather have 3 one kg bars, I think they are much more liquid but if you really want it, go for it - as long as it doesn't make up a huge part of your stack. If you have 200oz now, don't buy it, if you have 750 or 1000 plus, on you go, as long as it's from a trustworthy source

you need a setup like this.

1 hour ago, silverdocket said:

I'm contemplating buying a 100oz  bar of silver... if I can get it at the right price. One is available at the moment quite close to me .

It's something I've wanted to own since I started stacking silver.

I remember seeing backyardbullion with one and I said dam I want one of them....( actually a lot more but let's not be greedy )

My big question/problem is...  when the time comes to move it on how difficult will it be to sell it?

It obviously depends on silver prices....

Do many forum members stack them? 

Most likely it will have to be sold within the Irish market thanks to Brexit/ taxes/ delivery  and so on.....

All comments appreciated even the  negative ones lol 

There, you said it! Go for it! :D

1 hour ago, silenceissilver said:

A set up like that would cost around £1,500, which would be great to have, but is very spendy.

I am saving for either a 100oz or a 5kg bar next, just waiting for a bond to mature and I should have enough for one unless the price shoots up in the near future, if you want one mate go for it, in an apocalypse you can use it to stave some zombies head in too.

45 minutes ago, SILVERFINGER said:

I am saving for either a 100oz or a 5kg bar next, just waiting for a bond to mature and I should have enough for one unless the price shoots up in the near future, if you want one mate go for it, in an apocalypse you can use it to stave some zombies head in too.

Or melt it down for an arsenal's worth of silver bullets!

Seen some people getting larger size bars in today I have received thread but personally I have not ventured beyond 10 oz Silver Britannia bar in size. The biggest Silver bars I seen 1,000 oz bar in the YouTube video below published Jul 8, 2016 look spectacular 30 kilos standard delivery bar....... Imagine one of these in your stocking for xmas......

people drop nearly 2k for a proof 1oz gold Queens Beast so a few £k for a 100oz bar of silver shouldn't be a problem in a bull market when the minions get all excited about precious metals once again.

Biggest bar I have is a 5kg, nice to throw it about once in a while :)

I find 1kg bars the perfect weight and size to stack and deal with (and stash) myself. Always ready buyers at a reasonable price for both seller and buyer imho. I'd have trouble weighing and doing a SGT on bigger bars with my set up.

I've always gone for Metalor because I know them and they're (so far!) pretty much as common as Umicore. I like 'em :)

Lots of great points.

Didn't think this would generate so much interest.

I have run out of likes for the comments so I apologise.

To do a gravity test I would need to buy a bigger scale.. this will be number three if I do... like a scene from Crocodile Dundee...  that's not a knife....

he's a middleman dealer  but very honest.

My head is saying it's too big, because I only have the ability to test up to 1 kg and apart from magnet and weighing test (dry) that's all I have to authenticate it.

We did discuss this when I was buying the other bars and he  agreed  it was harder to sell the bigger bars.

My heart is saying you can do it..

I think I'll get a price off him.

I won't be in a hurry to sell it.

Thanks again boys and girls for your replies it's much appreciated.

D.

1 minute ago, silverdocket said:

Lots of great points.

Didn't think this would generate so much interest.

I have run out of likes for the comments so I apologise.

To do a gravity test I would need to buy a bigger scale.. this will be number three if I do... like a scene from Crocodile Dundee...  that's not a knife....

he's a middleman dealer  but very honest.

My head is saying it's too big, because I only have the ability to test up to 1 kg and apart from magnet and weighing test (dry) that's all I have to authenticate it.

We did discuss this when I was buying the other bars and he  agreed  it was harder to sell the bigger bars.

My heart is saying you can do it..

I think I'll get a price off him.

I won't be in a hurry to sell it.

Thanks again boys and girls for your replies it's much appreciated.

D.

When you are stood there mate with it in your bare hands struggling with the power and weight of it, the beautiful veins and ripples running along it you will know you have made the right choice, my 1kg bar is called 'MoistMaker', women can't help but be impressed, so I can't wait till they see the size and girth of a 100oz or 5kg that I get next.

21 minutes ago, SILVERFINGER said:

When you are stood there mate with it in your bare hands struggling with the power and weight of it, the beautiful veins and ripples running along it you will know you have made the right choice, my 1kg bar is called 'MoistMaker', women can't help but be impressed, so I can't wait till they see the size and girth of a 100oz or 5kg that I get next.

You could only imagine what would happen if it was gold...

You'd be like Mel Gibson in....

what women want 

Archived