• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Is a 100 oz bar too big????

silverdocket

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I’ve several 10oz bars but a100oz bar really appeals to me. It’ll take a few months to save up for but it will be worth it.

If it isn’t appreciated by my son, I’ll beat him about the head with it.

They feel fantastic when you hold them.  If you feel the itch for one now, that itch is never going to go away until you scratch it and buy one.  That's why I did.  But I did it knowing that when I decide to sell it long in the future, I will either have to sell to a dealer at a slightly lower price, or be patient in finding a private buyer at a better price.  But if your strategy, like mine, is to hold for the long term, you will come out all right whichever way you ultimately sell it.  And in the intervening years till then, you will derive hours of pleasure while holding that impressive weight in your hand,  caressing it lovingly, and purring "my precioussss" to it.  :P

56 minutes ago, mr1030 said:

They feel fantastic when you hold them.  If you feel the itch for one now, that itch is never going to go away until you scratch it and buy one.  That's why I did.  But I did it knowing that when I decide to sell it long in the future, I will either have to sell to a dealer at a slightly lower price, or be patient in finding a private buyer at a better price.  But if your strategy, like mine, is to hold for the long term, you will come out all right whichever way you ultimately sell it.  And in the intervening years till then, you will derive hours of pleasure while holding that impressive weight in your hand,  caressing it lovingly, and purring "my precioussss" to it.  :P

Now I have seen Mr dead shiny one i'm not so impressed with the one I was offered.

His is extremely impressive. 

You can't beat mirror finished silver...

5 hours ago, silverdocket said:

Now I have seen Mr dead shiny one i'm not so impressed with the one I was offered.

His is extremely impressive. 

You can't beat mirror finished silver...

Yeah that is an impressive bar he has.  But I'll tell you, I  recently handled a 100 oz Britannia bar at my LCS, and I'm starting to feel that itch again that only Britannia can scratch.  I know that tart is gonna charge me extra for the service.

I had contemplated getting one for a long time , and finally pulled the trigger earlier in the year on this from a very trusted source.  When spot was low😀

Once I'd got a load of bullion coins and a selection of proofs I moved on to 10oz bars and wanting a 100oz was something to aim for. 

It is a beast to hold, and makes the 10ozers now feel like tidlewinks. 

When it does come to sell I think the fact it has age will always go in its favour too so would always try to get something a bit older.. I've got an old50oz on the way too, but still think the 10oz is the most liquid way to stack weight

20191012_210637.jpg

I am also looking into purchasing a 100oz bar, very pleased to see this thread! 

I was expecting to see the premiums far closer to spot but can't am not having much luck.

Any recommendations on where to get the best price for this kind of size from a reputable source? 

Not sure about the UK, but with the bullion dealers I use, I wait for sales to occur.  Every year I always see at least one sale on Black Friday and at Christmas for 100 oz bars at anywhere from spot to 19 cents over spot.  

1 hour ago, Gabriel13 said:

I am also looking into purchasing a 100oz bar, very pleased to see this thread! 

I was expecting to see the premiums far closer to spot but can't am not having much luck.

Any recommendations on where to get the best price for this kind of size from a reputable source? 

Yes I know where does one I can sell you 

Just let me Buy it first lol lol 

1 hour ago, mr1030 said:

Not sure about the UK, but with the bullion dealers I use, I wait for sales to occur.  Every year I always see at least one sale on Black Friday and at Christmas for 100 oz bars at anywhere from spot to 19 cents over spot.  

Lucky man 

We paid 2 to 3 dollars over spot  on everything.  

6 hours ago, silverdocket said:

😂😂

Added 0 minutes later...
6 hours ago, silverdocket said:

😂😂

49 minutes ago, Downs523 said:

I've had a engelhard 100oz offered to me for £1750 delivered but still seems expensive to me. If there was one for £1500 then I may consider getting one 😁

I think you're spot on the price....

Unless it was an exceptional piece .

• 3 weeks later...

We bought a 5kg bar a short while back. Just a suggestion but there is a cost effective way to go about it in the UK.

Check out the 5kg fiji coin bar which is a 5kg silver bar (161oz) thats classed as legal tender (coin) so it can work out a fair bit cheaper per ounce then a normal bar.

This bar is made by swiss refiner argor-heraeus however, so its produced by one of the best and most well known refiners in the world.

I think these make sense for long term metals portfolios such as a pensions portfolio. If you believe inflation will carry silver much higher over 20-30 years for example these are a good way to play that thesis, just buy and put away somewhere safe for the long term.

If you have plenty of smaller sized silver too it likely makes sense to also have bigger pieces to liquidate as well as smaller pieces. Plus...having a bar is prettty nice! :)

15D3C2B6-0C02-42D8-A6D2-EFC293E316C1.png

1 hour ago, Goldenbear said:

We bought a 5kg bar a short while back. Just a suggestion but there is a cost effective way to go about it in the UK.

Check out the 5kg fiji coin bar which is a 5kg silver bar (161oz) thats classed as legal tender (coin) so it can work out a fair bit cheaper per ounce then a normal bar.

This bar is made by swiss refiner argor-heraeus however, so its produced by one of the best and most well known refiners in the world.

You can still get these on silver-to-go.com and its the cheapest per ounce silver you can buy there, at the current spot it works out at only £15.15 an oz.

I think these make sense for long term metals portfolios such as a pensions portfolio. If you believe inflation will carry silver much higher over 20-30 years for example these are a good way to play that thesis, just buy and put away somewhere safe for the long term.

If you have plenty of smaller sized silver too it likely makes sense to also have bigger pieces to liquidate as well as smaller pieces. Plus...having a bar is prettty nice! :)

15D3C2B6-0C02-42D8-A6D2-EFC293E316C1.png

Now that's some job going to have a little look on their website 

cheers 

On 20/10/2019 at 17:01, silverdocket said:

I'm contemplating buying a 100oz  bar of silver... if I can get it at the right price. One is available at the moment quite close to me .

It's something I've wanted to own since I started stacking silver.

I remember seeing backyardbullion with one and I said dam I want one of them....( actually a lot more but let's not be greedy )

My big question/problem is...  when the time comes to move it on how difficult will it be to sell it?

It obviously depends on silver prices....

Do many forum members stack them? 

Most likely it will have to be sold within the Irish market thanks to Brexit/ taxes/ delivery  and so on.....

All comments appreciated even the  negative ones lol 

I'm going to buy one & I'm not really concerned about re selling I want a big lump 100 oz Britannia bar because I like the look of it. If you are worried about re sale don't buy one as there will be a very small market for a big 100oz lump.

The problem with common sense is, its not that common.

Archived