• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Website for comparing UK prices for gold sovereigns, britannias, etc

Hi all,

I recently launched a little side project of mine for monitoring the prices of gold sovereigns by UK dealers:

LINK REMOVED 

At the moment functionality and looks are very basic; it refresh automatically every 2 minutes and watches a few of the most reputable dealers that I know of.

I wanted to share it in case someone else finds it useful. It's completely free and donations are accepted to keep it running.

Any constructive feedback is welcome. Thanks!

On 08/08/2019 at 19:42, S2G said:

Hi all,

I recently launched a little side project of mine for monitoring the prices of gold sovereigns by UK dealers:

LINK REMOVED BY ADMIN

At the moment functionality and looks are very basic; it refresh automatically every 2 minutes and watches a few of the most reputable dealers that I know of.

I wanted to share it in case someone else finds it useful. It's completely free and donations are accepted to keep it running.

Any constructive feedback is welcome. Thanks!

Maybe not too helpful, but I think the really basic look is actually very effective.

It has everything you need, no fuss, no BS.

I'm sure you could run some Ads to help monetise it, too - or use referral links to earn some cash off it?

1 minute ago, Clens92 said:

Maybe not too helpful, but I think the really basic look is actually very effective.

It has everything you need, no fuss, no BS.

I'm sure you could run some Ads to help monetise it, too - or use referral links to earn some cash off it?

Affiliate marketing is a good way to go, and a solid passive income.

Also agree on the above, straight the point and I like it, well done and thank you :). 

Really nice.  Clean page too, i like that.

One suggestion might be to take into account each sites postage costs?  HGM was cheapest at £300 but charges £6.50 p&p, which meant it was actually cheaper to pay £301 at theGoldBullionCo with free next day delivery.  Chards charge about £10 iirc for delivery so on a single coin or two, thats quite a difference.

6 hours ago, SendYourCoin2Me said:

Really nice.  Clean page too, i like that.

One suggestion might be to take into account each sites postage costs?  HGM was cheapest at £300 but charges £6.50 p&p, which meant it was actually cheaper to pay £301 at theGoldBullionCo with free next day delivery.  Chards charge about £10 iirc for delivery so on a single coin or two, thats quite a difference.

Have to agree with the above. it's a nice little website, but the delivery costs need to be factored in, or at least mentioned there

Thanks everyone for the feedback and kind comments!

@Clens92 @nee4891 Referral links is an interesting idea, I will consider it! Thanks!

@Martlet Data is being scraped from each page in real time. This approach is prone to errors (you will occasionally see "error" in the table) but seems to work for now. The whole project is still a bit experimental.

@SendYourCoin2Me @HighlandTiger That's a very good point about postage costs. It's tricky — I'd rather not add it to the price, as some people may collect their order in person or qualify for free delivery (when you spend over £X). I will think about some options 👍

@Coolsmp @Fastnick @richatthecroft @Ansel I agree more dealers would be even better. I just added Sharps Pixley and Baird Mint. I'm happy to add more dealers, but it will be really helpful if you post a direct link to their page (saves me time googling!). Thanks!

I'm wondering if there will be interest to track other coins, not just gold sovereigns? Even silver ones? As far as I know, sovereigns are extremely popular, so that's the only reason why they were my first choice.

Edited by Guest

Here's a link to the page on The Buckingham Collection's website for their full sovereign - https://buckinghamcollection.co.uk/product/2019-gold-bullion-sovereign/

And here's the same for Harrington & Byrne - https://harringtonandbyrne.co.uk/2019-united-kingdom-gold-uncirculated-sovereign-3113.html

IMHO, it is DEFINITELY worth incorporating postage costs - very few people will be willing/able to collect in person, and free delivery over £X is not that commonplace.

This is a bit of a selfish suggestion (as I'm hoovering up as many keenly priced/good value Half Sovereigns as possible right now) but if you were to include a price comparison facility for Half Sovereigns, I'd definitely be checking it several times a day :D

10 hours ago, S2G said:

Thanks everyone for the feedback and kind comments!

@Clens92 @nee4891 Referral links is an interesting idea, I will consider it! Thanks!

@Martlet Data is being scraped from each page in real time. This approach is prone to errors (you will occasionally see "error" in the table) but seems to work for now. The whole project is still a bit experimental.

@SendYourCoin2Me @HighlandTiger That's a very good point about postage costs. It's tricky — I'd rather not add it to the price, as some people may collect their order in person or qualify for free delivery (when you spend over £X). I will think about some options 👍

@Coolsmp @Fastnick @richatthecroft @Ansel I agree more dealers would be even better. I just added Sharps Pixley and Baird Mint. I'm happy to add more dealers, but it will be really helpful if you post a direct link to their page (saves me time googling!). Thanks!

I'm wondering if there will be interest to track other coins, not just gold sovereigns? Even silver ones? As far as I know, sovereigns are extremely popular, so that's the only reason why they were my first choice.

Don't forget to also include the Royal Mint. It's a good idea for people to see how dealers are pricing their goods against the actual supplier itself, as some dealers are more expensive than the Royal Mint itself.

Maybe have a customised visual identifier that makes the manufacturer stand out. A bit like how forum member names are wrapped in blue.

Half Sovs
https://www.royalmintbullion.com/Products/Sovereign/Gold/UKB19HS

Full Sovs
https://www.royalmintbullion.com/Products/Sovereign/Gold/UKB19SVC

Edited by tallyhojim

I added delivery costs to the table, thanks everyone for the suggestion! Please have a look and let me know if you spot anything that doesn't seem right. I had to collect all data manually from each site, so mistakes are possible. Sadly delivery costs are not clear at all on most websites, so I couldn't automate this part of the website; this means that if postage fees change in the future, the table will be out-of-date. Hopefully this won't happen frequently thought, but something to watch out for.

When I get some free time I will make a start on adding half sovereigns and brittanias 👍

@Fastnick Thanks for the suggestions! I added The Buckingham Collection, but Harrington & Byrne are not very clear regarding their delivery fees. Do you know how much they charge by any chance?

@tallyhojim I agree about adding The Royal Mint but I've got a slight technical issue with getting the data from their site. Currently I'm using a hosting provider that is located in Ireland, and Royal Mint's website insists on giving me prices in euros, rather than British pounds. One solution is to move to a provider within the UK, which will be quite time consuming (and a bit more expensive); another is using live exchange rates, but you may end up with inconsistent prices after the conversion...

@S2G I hope you don't mind me throwing in another suggestion?

It would be great if you could put a line break in between each dealer; it is a little awkward to read at the moment, and line breaks would go a long way towards rectifying this.

@S2G one slight little bug bear of mine. The date on the "Last Update" bit, can you change it

In the UK, we use the sensible and logical day, month, year of writing the date, not the stupid yank version of  month, day, year. I know across the pond they like to pretend they invented things they didn't, but I could never get my head around why the hell they came up with writing the date like that. That's like writing the time as 45:11, instead of 11:45 :)