• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Perth Mint Black Flag 2019 Queen's Anne's Revenge

Still waiting for mine to turn up from GBSe, I had to chase them for delivery then within an hour i got a shipped notification, it was supposed to be here today but hasn't turned up despite skiving the day off work to wait for it 😂

Just got my 5oz.'r a few days ago and must say that it's absolutely gorgeous.  Not a spot on it anywhere, even under my loupe.  The coin capsule is a bit perplexing though.  It almost seems like it was intended for a shallower coin as it doesn't seem to fully close.   Couldn't be happier and will anxiously await the next release.  I wonder if APMEX will publish a list of what the entire series will consist of?

6 hours ago, happy2gether said:

I received my 5oz coin too. Amazing coin in this size.

Look at this ebay auction . The seller mentions 4 coin series, but how does he know that? I'm keen to see which price this auction will achieve after seller took out the coin. 😱

The Batavia series is a 4 coin set, he probably conflated them. The Current price $132 dollars is far more realistic for 5 oz of silver than the ridiculous price that APMEX was charging, maybe this coin will sink (no pun intended) on the secondary market as the ultra high premiums will not be realised

10 minutes ago, JackKlugman said:

The Batavia series is a 4 coin set, he probably conflated them. The Current price $132 dollars is far more realistic for 5 oz of silver than the ridiculous price that APMEX was charging, maybe this coin will sink (no pun intended) on the secondary market as the ultra high premiums will not be realised

Yes, perhaps the seller mixed it up with the Treasure Shipwrecks Series.

Even the price is high, Apmex does not have any of the 5oz version for sale at the moment. I was lucky and bought at initial price, but I don't care about my buy price anymore because it's for my own private collection. 

Edited by happy2gether

6 minutes ago, JackKlugman said:

Or people will really get on board this series. Pun intended. 

But I'm with you, I'm shocked that some paid well over £50 an oz for the 5oz coin. It's too much, driven by avarice, the hope being someone else will pay even more when they attempt to flip these coins. 

6 minutes ago, Notafront4adragon said:

Or people will really get on board this series. Pun intended. 

But I'm with you, I'm shocked that some paid well over £50 an oz for the 5oz coin. It's too much, driven by avarice, the hope being someone else will pay even more when they attempt to flip these coins. 

I loved the first coin (bought 5) and really intended to buy the 5 oz version until I realised APMEX was price gouging and charging more for that coin than Royal Mint was charging for a 10 oz queen's beast (plus 20% vat we would have to pay in the UK)

I could have bought one but decided not too. What is annoying in the capitalist world we are living in is when people buy dozens with the intention to immediately flip (we see that has not quite worked out so far in the Ebay example) 

Edited by JackKlugman

6 minutes ago, JackKlugman said:

I loved the first coin (bought 5) and really intended to buy the 5 oz version until I realised APMEX was price gouging and charging more for that coin than Royal Mint was charging for a 10 oz queen's beast (plus 20% vat we would have to pay in the UK)

I could have bought one but decided not too. What is annoying in the capitalist world we are living in is when people buy dozens with the intention to immediately flip (we see that has not quite worked out so far in the Ebay example) 

My thoughts too. I'll stick with the 1oz. 

The flippers are always there at every new release. Very annoying if you want to simply collect but they are entitled to do it. Not sure who is to blame for prices getting out of hand though. Perth Mint  and Apmex, the flippers (Apmex is kinda a flipper too but at least they negotiated the exclusive), or the rubes paying so much ie us.  

3 minutes ago, Notafront4adragon said:

My thoughts too. I'll stick with the 1oz. 

The flippers are always there at every new release. Very annoying if you want to simply collect but they are entitled to do it. Not sure who is to blame for prices getting out of hand though. Perth Mint  and Apmex, the flippers (Apmex is kinda a flipper too but at least they negotiated the exclusive), or the rubes paying so much ie us.  

Pricing is 100% Apmex. They paid the Perth Mint to produce the coins for them (confirmed to me by the mint) and can sell them for whatever mark up they like. Remember these are 'collectables' and not bullion so you have to pay multiples of the base value of the silver content. 

Paying close to the value of 1/4 ounce gold for 5 oz of silver is insanity btw

Edited by JackKlugman

3 minutes ago, JackKlugman said:

Pricing is 100% Apmex. They paid the Perth Mint to produce the coins for them (confirmed to me by the mint) and can sell them for whatever mark up they like. Remember these are 'collectables' and not bullion so you have to pay multiples of the base value of the silver content. 

Paying close to the value of 1/4 ounce gold for 5 oz of silver is insanity btw

That's my point is Apmex wrong to sell to insane people?

• 4 weeks later...

The hype seems to have died down on the 5 oz coins..

Whats peoples thoughts, is this series looking to be an overpriced flop or do people still think this is going to become a premium series?

I've noticed a few online dealers still have stock of the 5oz which seems strange to me with only a mintage of 500 i thought they would have "sailed" off the shelves, do you think this is due to the massive premium on these coins?

Interested in peoples sentiment towards this series.

29 minutes ago, Coolrico said:

The hype seems to have died down on the 5 oz coins..

Whats peoples thoughts, is this series looking to be an overpriced flop or do people still think this is going to become a premium series?

I've noticed a few online dealers still have stock of the 5oz which seems strange to me with only a mintage of 500 i thought they would have "sailed" off the shelves, do you think this is due to the massive premium on these coins?

Interested in peoples sentiment towards this series.

I got onboard too late to get the 1 oz. coins, but took a flyer and picked up a 5oz'r just because I liked the design so much.  As far as what the future holds, I think it's too early to tell.  I think the idea of the "black flag" series is interesting and I'll wait to see what they announce for the future releases.  If it looks like it'll have some staying power, then I'm sure the initial coins will get another bump as renewed interest comes back.  I did see that Apmex shows a few 5 oz. coins still available but don't know if they held back some inventory or maybe got some through buy-backs.

1 hour ago, BSquared said:

I got onboard too late to get the 1 oz. coins, but took a flyer and picked up a 5oz'r just because I liked the design so much.  As far as what the future holds, I think it's too early to tell.  I think the idea of the "black flag" series is interesting and I'll wait to see what they announce for the future releases.  If it looks like it'll have some staying power, then I'm sure the initial coins will get another bump as renewed interest comes back.

Same, I ended up over paying for the 1oz but I just loved the design and didn't even realise it was part of a series when i bought it. I also knew I was massively over paying when i bought the 5oz (£300 delivered in the UK) but again i liked the design and limited mintage.. I wont be looking to sell these any time soon but i'm just suprised there isnt more demand for these coins currently, Maybe as you say the future releases will drive more demand on the initial release.

1 hour ago, BSquared said:

I did see that Apmex shows a few 5 oz. coins still available but don't know if they held back some inventory or maybe got some through buy-backs.

Yeah i've got a feeling that the way they held back stock and then re-listed them at higher prices was a bad move putting a lot of people off buying them out of principle.

Think the point of resistance was just reached after dealers and sellers went over 300 €/GBP with them. They got greedy, and that bit them in the arse. 

And yeah, only time will tell whether or not this ended up being a hype or not. Either way, some people will have surely laughed their nuts off already. 

I'm lucky I got in early on the 5oz coins.  I bought two, flipped one for basically 0 profit after shipping and eBay fees.  Having said all of that, I definitely plan on getting the rest of the 1oz. coins in the series but I'm done with paying ginormous premiums on "low mintage coins" like the 5 oz. version.  I'm into my stack for the silver, not so much the numismatic value.  Other than the Queen's Beast series, which I intend to fill out with the last 2, 2 oz coins when they come out, my stack is mainly junk silver and generics, with some lower premium coins mixed in.... and then my 5 oz. overpriced hunk of silver lol.   

5 hours ago, g33x0r said:

I'm lucky I got in early on the 5oz coins.  I bought two, flipped one for basically 0 profit after shipping and eBay fees.  Having said all of that, I definitely plan on getting the rest of the 1oz. coins in the series but I'm done with paying ginormous premiums on "low mintage coins" like the 5 oz. version.  I'm into my stack for the silver, not so much the numismatic value.  Other than the Queen's Beast series, which I intend to fill out with the last 2, 2 oz coins when they come out, my stack is mainly junk silver and generics, with some lower premium coins mixed in.... and then my 5 oz. overpriced hunk of silver lol.   

what will you do when the price for your  last "5 oz. overpriced hunk" goes up to 500 bugs and silverspot is under 10 $ ?

Will you sell your "hunk" for more junk ?