• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

1887 £5 proof sovereign real or fake ?

Sovereign

5 minutes ago, sovereignsteve said:

the tail is usually the big giveaway with these fakes.

so if they get that right we're buggered

Lol yeah.

poor George looks a bit skinny too. More muscular in the real one 💪

So from a buyer point of view, the seller looks legit to me with 100% review over more than 12 months and legal information available. If the coin is fake, then we are really buggered.

If, say, we bought a coin, the seller sent it and you received it, then found out it is a fake, but the seller insists it was a real coin sent. basically one’s word against the other. There is an ebay money back guarantee, but how does it work in this situation?

6 minutes ago, vicamy said:

So from a buyer point of view, the seller looks legit to me with 100% review over more than 12 months and legal information available. If the coin is fake, then we are really buggered.

If, say, we bought a coin, the seller sent it and you received it, then found out it is a fake, but the seller insists it was a real coin sent. basically one’s word against the other. There is an ebay money back guarantee, but how does it work in this situation?

ebay with the buyer %100 

you open a case to return the coin (not as described) 

ebay will approve your return request even if he didn’t (take time though)

then you will get a refund after it’s been delivered back to the seller 

i’m not saying go and buy the coin 😂

8 minutes ago, Sovereign said:

ebay with the buyer %100 

you open a case to return the coin (not as described) 

ebay will approve your return request even if he didn’t (take time though)

then you will get a refund after it’s been delivered back to the seller 

i’m not saying go and buy the coin 😂

Thanks @Sovereign. That’s really good to know.👍

2 hours ago, vicamy said:

Not always with the buyer.  I have won most of my disputes as a seller, because the evidence I provide is irrefutable.  Don't buy on the basis that you'll win a dispute; if they're a good seller then eBay will back them.

22 minutes ago, Cornishfarmer said:

HGM sold a fake to a member here if I remember correctly so they must be hard to spot even by professionals.     Can’t remember if the outcome was published.   @Kman? Can you shed light?

I've had two fakes from HGM, bullions though not proofs. One of them was exceptionally good. Someone else has had one too.

Profile picture with thanks to Carl Vernon

I'd just avoid eBay and never buy anything more expensive than £50 from either eBay or amazon because i had a few bad experiences both as seller and buyer (not PMs), but I do think when it comes to eBay, genuine and honest sellers have a lot more to lose than buyers.

1 minute ago, sovereignsteve said:

I've had two fakes from HGM, bullions though not proofs. One of them was exceptionally good. Someone else has had one too.

nooo way, that's shocking, what happened then ?

3 hours ago, Sovereign said:

hi

saw this on ebay 

not sure if it’s real or fake 

the fields look too clean for 1887 proof sovereign?

also the seller said he will accept £3k which is way too cheap 

let me know what you think please 

@sovereignsteve 

@Numistacker

@Marc

@AndreasAfeldt

@1817SovereignCollector

The same person also has a worn 1911 quintuple sovereign up for auction.  I know there are forgeries of this coin too.

2 minutes ago, Nick1368 said:

nooo way, that's shocking, what happened then ?

one was easy to spot but the other had me fooled for quite a while. in the end i sent it off for grading to check. HGM were very good about it; refunded me in full even though spot had dropped a fair bit.

Profile picture with thanks to Carl Vernon

Archived