• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

1887 £5 proof sovereign real or fake ?

Sovereign

1 minute ago, sovereignsteve said:

one was easy to spot but the other had me fooled for quite a while. in the end i sent it off for grading to check. HGM were very good about it; refunded me in full even though spot had dropped a fair bit.

aw that's good to hear

1 hour ago, Cornishfarmer said:

HGM sold a fake to a member here if I remember correctly so they must be hard to spot even by professionals.     Can’t remember if the outcome was published.   @Kman? Can you shed light?

It's not me you're thinking of, or you're thinking of me with a different coin

I bought a William sov from Atkinsons in 2014 or so that everyone thought was fake, sent it back to them, not sure it was ever really finalised whether it was genuine or not by them so I just took a refund, I think it was just ex jewellery and cleaned 

Help thread for members new to silver/gold stacking/collecting

The Money Printing Myth the Fed can't and don't money print - Deflation ahead, not inflation 

2 hours ago, Cornishfarmer said:

HGM sold a fake to a member here if I remember correctly so they must be hard to spot even by professionals.     Can’t remember if the outcome was published.   @Kman? Can you shed light?

I posted a topic on 13 March called "Flog it" when a raw 1887 quintuple appeared on the BBC programme Flog it.  My bullsh*t detector in my pocket failed to go off as I viewed the segment with brain apparently in neutral as the script unfolded. Luckily @sovereignsteve came along with fresh batteries in his detector and saw through the thin plot. 

Not everything is as it seems.

Own it and Love it.

(With thanks to 9x883 for the suggestion)

2 hours ago, Kookaburracollector said:

The coin being discussed is now at over £1000...has anyone reported it as being a fake? Or (in my experience) is this a wastes of time?

Assuming it's 22ct gold or thereabouts, it's still below it's intrinsic value.

It would probably be a waste of time but we have seen fake coin auctions suddenly ended on EBay before🤔

Profile picture with thanks to Carl Vernon

9 minutes ago, sovereignsteve said:

Assuming it's 22ct gold or thereabouts, it's still below it's intrinsic value.

It would probably be a waste of time but we have seen fake coin auctions suddenly ended on EBay before🤔

Let’s hope either a) It gets withdrawn or b)sells for no more than spot!..

• 2 weeks later...

I checked the sellers sold listings and it sold for just over £2200 . He also sold another £5 proof Sovereign on the same day. Are these coins made from solid gold or just gold plated ??

The gold test readings could be fake as well its possible that he put a gold coin in front of the tester first then pressed screen hold button then held in front of the fake coin for the photos.

His other coin listings all look fake . Roman bronze and silver coins cast this year then made to look old .

2 hours ago, Midasfrog said:

I checked the sellers sold listings and it sold for just over £2200 . He also sold another £5 proof Sovereign on the same day. Are these coins made from solid gold or just gold plated ??

The gold test readings could be fake as well its possible that he put a gold coin in front of the tester first then pressed screen hold button then held in front of the fake coin for the photos.

His other coin listings all look fake . Roman bronze and silver coins cast this year then made to look old .

That's very likely to be the case... it's really sad to see when people fall for these kind of things, and pay a lot of money for c.rap.

I have seen another one of these sold elsewhere a little while ago as “genuine” when it clearly was not. Possible that it was from from same batch / factory in China - they certainly look v similar  

The seller (who was selling other highly dubious items) used the “not sure what I have here, inherited with some other coins” line. 

1887 is a popular year for forgers

Not my circus, not my monkeys

54 minutes ago, dicker said:

I have seen another one of these sold elsewhere a little while ago as “genuine” when it clearly was not. Possible that it was from from same batch / factory in China - they certainly look v similar  

The seller (who was selling other highly dubious items) used the “not sure what I have here, inherited with some other coins” line. 

1887 is a popular year for forgers

I have had many many 1887 shields that were 9ct, 14ct and played come through at dealer. 

New Forum Sponsor! See Items for sale here  Also on Instagram: Bargain Numismatics 

Archived