• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

The Queen's Beasts, or why was I on a hiatus?

KevinFlynn

Greetings everyone,

I am a returning precious metal stacker and I discovered the very interesting Queen's Beast series.

Within my world of precious metal stacking I classify these as 'bullion coins with collector's value' and given the rise in price that I see that is true. Now I'm very rational where my gold is concerned, but I'm always willing to invest into shiny things in silver. Gold is still a major investment for me and I rather keep it in safe one ounce standard coins, deep within my safety deposit box. Silver however is well within my impulse buy range and so I do allow myself some adventures and speculation.

In addition to that I am a huge fan of british history so where the Queen's Beasts are concerned, my heart is calling out to the collector in me - sadly I'm in three years late, and the price for some of the first coins has risen a lot. I also like the two ounce weight, which is a nice change from the usual one ouncers. It reminds me of the very haptic feeling of discovering my first one pound coins back in London in 1987, which clearly blew our thin Deutsche Mark coins out of the water...

I am disgressing, please just bear with me...

So what are my thoughts?

I have the growing feeling of wanting a whole set of the collection, which would make me pay the added collector's premium on the coins I missed. Hurtful, especially for the lion. Actually I would want even more than one full set, as maybe a set would fetch a much higher price in a couple of years than indivual sought after coins. Though depending on the price, I would even part with my personal collector's set. This would not neccesarily be part of my permastack.

I would want to get a good number of the respective current coin to be able to flip them as soon as the price is getting higher. I realize that not all coins in this series are equally sought after, but the overall premium over spot is not that bad (say, compared to buying silver bars with 19% VAT), and I would not mind to keep these in my stack otherwise.

I would want to get a large number of the White Horse of Hannover, as I am from Hannover by birth and these would make especially nice presents to other Hannoverians. I already located suitable coin capsules of which I would order a lot, even though I would want to buy coins by the tube.

To disgress some more, I usually like to make my bulk bullion purchases anonymously as a Tafelgeschäft, directly at a shop. With collector's items, I am running into the dilemma that that is not always possible. So with collector's bullion I decided to do it the other way round and buy these under my name online. The added effect is I would have a supposed collector's hobby as a front if the state one day comes knocking at my door to confiscate my gold (I will go back onto my psychiatrist's couch now...).

Thanks for reading

Thanks for the warning.

I was basing my idea on the prices of dealers in Germany which indicate a possibility of a 25% increase, and that at somewhat stable silver prices.

No vast riches ahead, but some profit possibility.

I have all of the Queen's Beasts except the Griffin.  I keep going back and forth over whether it is worth it to buy the Griffin - especially since numerous people have said that the lion and the griffin have a lot of nicks in them unless you can get a proof.  And I know my lion does have two little nicks in it, and it's the only one that didn't come in a protective cover.

The guy at my coin shop says if I'm patient the griffin will come back down in price, but what if it doesn't, and what if it's the only one from the set that gets really valuable?

people who have it will sell if the price is too high, once the set is complete there would be sets for sale

over time the premium on certain coins would decline as the intensity of interest of that missing piece dissipate 

it is happening with kooks and lunar II Perth Mint, now prices are much more reasonable ie, 3 new for 2 selective older pieces (it gives people the swap rates of those series)

so it is not worth to over pay now, when you can get it anytime in the future 

• 2 weeks later...

I just ordered a couple of pieces to get an impression of the coin and to be able to get a look at the production quality. I heard about issues of rough edges, which I could examine on a Britannia yesterday and which does not bother me. I am however concerned about milk spotting, at least with bullion coins with collector's characteristics. So I will habe to slowly build up some confidence, before ordering these by the tube.

I admit that for the special design, these are very competitively priced, and are a very nice bullion coin.

I paid the premium for the lion and griffin (1oz gold)- which for me were worth it, partly due to the fact i can now look forward to completing a full set but also due to the rise in spot price since purchasing  takes the sting out of the premiums paid when i cost average the set. Moving forward I’ll pick up a few extras of all the current coins - i dont have huge expectations for increase in price but its more of a certainty than a standard Brit or Krug - and even if there is no premium to pass on they are close enough in price to the standard bullion coins to take a punt! 

The main thing i take from your post is the term “permastack” which is a term i will hijacking as my own from now on. 

Thank you sir and good day

Edited by AuricGoldfinger

On 17/12/2018 at 00:15, bored said:

no one cares about your online name (except here ofc) its all about bank accounts and credit cards etc. If the state comes knocking just make sure they can`t find it.

I think! similarly! @KevinFlynn

I chose to have some of my wealth in PM's quite a while back (Storing that wealth -purchasing power) and came to the conclusion that the traceability is why there is "War on cash"!

We have had 1984 - "they" are just slow at implementing it!

1/ Yes they  (the powers that be)   - can track the paperwork for the purchase!    RM, Bullion dealers, Ebay, et al - - If they should come knocking for confiscation  - I DON'T HAVE ANY!  - I sold to a guy at the pub - NOW track it!- -= - - -  its "OUT" of the  "SYSTEM"!

2/ As an insurance against the financial "hiccups" like 2007/8 (Lehmans et al) -  the beauty here is  - - - if eventually the "INSURANCE" is deemed unnecessary - "You  CAN GET YOUR MONEY BACK" - - -  Try asking for your car insurance back at the end of the year, when you have not had a bump!

Its the only money back insurance I know of!

3/ I also believe less and less in the digitised world that is happening (Having been in I.T. for over 30 years)   I can use it extremely well to my advantage!      BUT SO CAN SO MANY OTHERS!  - - - - Fraudsters, Government  etc etc - - - - JUST TRY!  switch off your computer/phone/tablet - and immediately pickup your money in your hand!  

IF you do not HOLD it you do not OWN it!

4/ When "They" control or remove cash and it is all digitised , privacy/freedom has gone! - - - - "negative interest rates" can be implemented at the push of a button.

Bank accounts can be locked/frozen (and there will be NOTHING you can do about it!) - - - Just ask Greeks and Cypriots!! - - (I think that was a "trial" of the ability to do it) 

In between times I can admire and smile at my "SECURITY"  - just try holding share certificates or the digitized equivalent  So with Sunday morning rant over -I hope this will stimulate "outside the box" thinking especially younger or newbies to stacking/collecting/investing.

• 2 weeks later...

I’ve finally got the two QB’s missing from my two sets, I wasn’t happy about the price I had to pay for them. But if you’re daft enough to start collecting anything expect to pay up.

Mother collected Crown Derby porcelain, the killer was a simple milk jug to complete her tea service. It wasn’t cheap!

Edited by TonyS

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I got the Lion, even though it hurt, and I will be getting the Griffin as well. Next month, I will have a full set and a few extras, and then I will be getting a first full tube, crossing my fingers against milk spotting. Currently the Bull, the Unicorn and the Falcon are priced well enough to get a full tube of. The Dragon is already too expensive for my liking.

I was also late in collecting the Queen's Beast series, but did get them all in 2 oz and 10 oz. Painful to pay the premiums especially on the Lions, but I did it expecting they would at least hold their premium. Maybe even increase more and this way I can flip the full collection in a few years. I also have it in my head that the first Lion might even increase more in premium once the White Lion gets released. When a silver bull market gets going, more collectors will be attracted and who knows what that will do to the premiums of this series. Time will tell.

The nicks and rubs on Lizzie's cheek/jaw/ear/etc. are not there at all on the full rolls that I have purchased. I think this is a result of careless handling post minting and likely after removal from rolls.

I bought one separate falcon and it was bad but the two rolls were 20 very nice coins without any....

On  a separate note, I am not at all sure these will ever be scarce; however as a group they do look very nice. I do agree with the assessment that the first three were much better than the latter group.

I evaluated Queen's Beasts last weekend with a good friend of mine, who is an occasional stacker of silver (Eagles, Britannias, and Maples).

I got three coins with a whiff of milk spotting, very tiny marks and just on the rim or on the sides. These were on the current Unicorn and Falcon coins, I will add picture when I got my Griffin, which is still in the mail.

We however found a definite argument for Queen's Beasts in the weight, two ouncers are really nice and make one ouncers look like, well, wannabees... :D

I am sure I will find a nice none milky version of each coin in each tube, for the collection...

On ‎16‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 23:32, KevinFlynn said:

Greetings everyone,

I am a returning precious metal stacker and I discovered the very interesting Queen's Beast series.

Within my world of precious metal stacking I classify these as 'bullion coins with collector's value' and given the rise in price that I see that is true. Now I'm very rational where my gold is concerned, but I'm always willing to invest into shiny things in silver. Gold is still a major investment for me and I rather keep it in safe one ounce standard coins, deep within my safety deposit box. Silver however is well within my impulse buy range and so I do allow myself some adventures and speculation.

In addition to that I am a huge fan of british history so where the Queen's Beasts are concerned, my heart is calling out to the collector in me - sadly I'm in three years late, and the price for some of the first coins has risen a lot. I also like the two ounce weight, which is a nice change from the usual one ouncers. It reminds me of the very haptic feeling of discovering my first one pound coins back in London in 1987, which clearly blew our thin Deutsche Mark coins out of the water...

I am disgressing, please just bear with me...

So what are my thoughts?

I have the growing feeling of wanting a whole set of the collection, which would make me pay the added collector's premium on the coins I missed. Hurtful, especially for the lion. Actually I would want even more than one full set, as maybe a set would fetch a much higher price in a couple of years than indivual sought after coins. Though depending on the price, I would even part with my personal collector's set. This would not neccesarily be part of my permastack.

I would want to get a good number of the respective current coin to be able to flip them as soon as the price is getting higher. I realize that not all coins in this series are equally sought after, but the overall premium over spot is not that bad (say, compared to buying silver bars with 19% VAT), and I would not mind to keep these in my stack otherwise.

I would want to get a large number of the White Horse of Hannover, as I am from Hannover by birth and these would make especially nice presents to other Hannoverians. I already located suitable coin capsules of which I would order a lot, even though I would want to buy coins by the tube.

To disgress some more, I usually like to make my bulk bullion purchases anonymously as a Tafelgeschäft, directly at a shop. With collector's items, I am running into the dilemma that that is not always possible. So with collector's bullion I decided to do it the other way round and buy these under my name online. The added effect is I would have a supposed collector's hobby as a front if the state one day comes knocking at my door to confiscate my gold (I will go back onto my psychiatrist's couch now...).

Thanks for reading

You say that "Actually I would want even more than one full set, as maybe a set would fetch a much higher price in a couple of years than indivual sought after coins."

This sounds like flipping to me.

People collect all sorts of things and there is nothing wrong with it, unless it starts to make you unhappy.  Collecting may not turn into the best investment strategy.