• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Sovereign Errors, Overdates and Varieties

2 minutes ago, Orpster said:

Thats the original and revised, original had them as scarce/rare then when revised Steve Hill dropped most years to common.  I think they are the only ones classified as C3/C2 (extremely and very common) in the whole book!

Thanks for that, just noticed it in my version.  Never really took no notice at the time as I only managed to buy a 1911c for about £380 in the last year and all other years have been well north of £450

Never Chase and Never Regret 

2 minutes ago, Spyder said:

Thanks for that, just noticed it in my version.  Never really took no notice at the time as I only managed to buy a 1911c for about £380 in the last year and all other years have been well north of £450

Yea I only have one myself, a 1917C.

I would like more but the auction prices these have been going for the last year or so make my wallet cry

9 minutes ago, Orpster said:

Yea I only have one myself, a 1917C.

I would like more but the auction prices these have been going for the last year or so make my wallet cry

I got VERY lucky.

i got an 11 for £330 a 1917 for £300 and an 18 for 440

edit 350, 300, 430

Edited by Sovhead

27 minutes ago, Sovhead said:

I got VERY lucky.

i got an 11 for £330 a 1917 for £300 and an 18 for 440

edit 350, 300, 430

You done well, especially if bought within the last 12 months

18 hours ago, Allgoldcoins said:

I have to agree, their grading of shields is awful, they tend to be more concerned with fields than the actual detail. I have seen some graded as MS63 with no lions faces left!

I've had ones that I would say are EF/gEF come back as AU55 and re-graded at PCGS at 60/61

Profile picture with thanks to Carl Vernon

40 minutes ago, sovereignsteve said:

I've had ones that I would say are EF/gEF come back as AU55 and re-graded at PCGS at 60/61

Regarding grading, would anyone say that this coin should have graded XF45

1871s Shield.jpg

10 minutes ago, Britannia47 said:

Difficult to tell on the reverse alone. Must be a lot of wear on her hair as a guide?  Can you show the obverse?

Agree, seems the grading is at least 80% determined on the wear on Vicky's hair - no weight given on the lion's nostrils. :ph34r: 

The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

Here is the other side and the 1839 is also graded XF45 from the RM website.  Look at the 1863 from Chards again graded XF45 and a lot more wear to both sides.

https://www.chards.co.uk/1863-victoria-gold-sovereign-roman-i-ng-xf45/16898

This is where I think coins should be graded both sides

1871s Shield H.jpg

hisv839s-1839-victoria-sovereign-xf45-obverse.jpg

1 hour ago, sovereignsteve said:

NGC are uselss. I was wondering if there is open channel for submitter to contest the grade with them

22 minutes ago, Spyder said:

Here is the other side and the 1839 is also graded XF45 from the RM website.  Look at the 1863 from Chards again graded XF45 and a lot more wear to both sides.

https://www.chards.co.uk/1863-victoria-gold-sovereign-roman-i-ng-xf45/16898

This is where I think coins should be graded both sides

1871s Shield H.jpg

hisv839s-1839-victoria-sovereign-xf45-obverse.jpg

The 1871 is VF imo for what’s it’s worth, obverse is not EF, reverse is not EF. 

I use the British descriptive to get a general grade then it’s other factors like cleaner fields, un dinged rim, strike  etc that may sway me a bit more to add a bit of a grade. 

problem is trying to second guess how someone else sees it.  

3 hours ago, Spyder said:

Regarding grading, would anyone say that this coin should have graded XF45

No that is harsh IMHO.

The reverse is gVF for the detail but there are dings/marks and the field is marked.

The obverse is a little worse obviously but still falls in the VF range on wear but the field is pretty bad.

On detail wear this coin is a AU55 IMO but previously said, NGC put a lot of emphasis on the field.

Profile picture with thanks to Carl Vernon

1 minute ago, sovereignsteve said:

As far as I am aware they do this already

No just one overall grade……Jesus can you imagine the OCD getting a MS65/MS64 split grade.

I know especially at auction it’s normal to list a coin gEF/aUNC for example. one thing with this some solely use aEF (about)  should  be almost, where others use solely  NEF (nearly) for describing approaching EF and etc. 

Who’s “about” is more accurate than the others “nearly”?   And NEF is way over used to describe a slightly better than VF coin.

Most dealers don’t use the British descriptive as listed it’s become an amalgamation of British, traditional US and the sheldon scale…….and you wonder why no one can agree on anything 🤣

1 hour ago, sovereignsteve said:

As far as I am aware they do this already

When I said both sides, I meant both sides get their own grade as pointed out by Dave after

hi i am totally new to sovereign collecting but ive just got book by marsh and he lists and rates errors on coins i have an 1860 full sovereign with what looks like an r under d in fid and another under f in def and its not listed in book why ? and is it worth more or less than perfect coin ? baffled

PICA0012.jpg

PICA0025.jpg

PICA0024.jpg

24 minutes ago, bazbigfoot said:

hi i am totally new to sovereign collecting but ive just got book by marsh and he lists and rates errors on coins i have an 1860 full sovereign with what looks like an r under d in fid and another under f in def and its not listed in book why ? and is it worth more or less than perfect coin ? baffled

PICA0012.jpg

PICA0025.jpg

PICA0024.jpg

There are lots and lots of little irregularities and errors on sovereigns, especially in the 1850's and early 1860's.  They are still finding new ones now.  Only those known by the author(s) of the Gold Sovereign book will be noted.  Some error coins and varieties can be worth more than a standard version, sometimes significantly, some are just something that makes the coin more interesting and potentially more desirable 

Edited by Orpster

51 minutes ago, bazbigfoot said:

also do you clean coins or leave as they are any advice would be appreciated thanks

Cleaning is a massive no no.  I own Shields that are covered what appears to be tar or ink, others just plain dirty. Best left as is.

A lot of coins for sale on eBay have been cleaned, but look on.  It destroys their value.  

Not my circus, not my monkeys

1 hour ago, bazbigfoot said:

PICA0012.jpg

PICA0025.jpg

PICA0024.jpg

They are noteworthy and folk will pay a little more for them but they are not spectacular errors, so they price slightly but not masses higher than a normal Sov in the same condition.

Mis aligned die errors and errors where a coin has completely the wrong letter such as the Sydney Half spelled Sovrreign are in a different (higher) league.  

Not my circus, not my monkeys