• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Sovereign Errors, Overdates and Varieties

I forgot to say, there are plenty of errors and varieties that are not in Marsh.

If you bought 100 Shields, you would probably find at least two oddities not in marsh.  

Not my circus, not my monkeys

46 minutes ago, bazbigfoot said:

thanks for advice guys especially about cleaning as when looking on ebay coins look new and shiny i thought mine were dirty and was going to clean them but wont do now  cheers

I’m not going to name or shame, but there is one person / dealer who always appears to have cleaned the coins he / she sells.  They are not a forum member by the ways. It’s worth a look to see what they look like.  

Not my circus, not my monkeys

1 hour ago, dicker said:

I’m not going to name or shame, but there is one person / dealer who always appears to have cleaned the coins he / she sells.  They are not a forum member by the ways. It’s worth a look to see what they look like.  

I am aware of a couple of folk, one of whom is an ex-forum member, that give their coins a dip into a sonic jewellery cleaner - when they were active on the forum they were quite renown for selling 'nice clean examples'

While this is still possibly the safest way to clean coins, it is still anathema to me.  To each their own but if you see a spotless coin with knocks and signs of circulation but no apparent hairlines - its potentially had a bath. 

2 minutes ago, Orpster said:

I am aware of a couple of folk, one of whom is an ex-forum member, that give their coins a dip into a sonic jewellery cleaner - when they were active on the forum they were quite renown for selling 'nice clean examples'

While this is still possibly the safest way to clean coins, it is still anathema to me.  To each their own but if you see a spotless coin with knocks and signs of circulation but no apparent hairlines - its potentially had a bath. 

Ahh I miss those lustrous belters from his own stack

I like to buy the pre-dip dip

Morning all, can anyone tell me if they think the 1887 S Victoria shield is rare and what condition is worth getting it graded or a sale price, as I have one in my stack, many thanks

IMG_5148.png

Here is the shield side

IMG_5149.png

12 minutes ago, 1853DEE said:

Morning all, can anyone tell me if they think the 1887 S Victoria shield is rare and what condition is worth getting it graded or a sale price, as I have one in my stack, many thanks

IMG_5148.png

Here is the shield side

IMG_5149.png

Yes a rare coin with Low mintage been after 1 for a while nice coin👍🏻

Edited by Sovhead

2 minutes ago, 1853DEE said:

But doesn't that also include St George reverse? how many shields were minted?

1m of each and just over 1m for the Jubilee head.

Edited by Sovhead

24 minutes ago, Sovhead said:

1m of each and just over 1m for the Jubilee head.

This is incorrect, the mintages of the shields and G&S Young Heads are combined so the total is 1m

15 minutes ago, Orpster said:

This is incorrect, the mintages of the shields and G&S Young Heads are combined so the total is 1m

I went with Chards but wasn’t sure what the Asterix meant IMG_9784.thumb.png.b69445f16c7eb9c972a083158afa1fed.png

5 minutes ago, 1853DEE said:

Thanks Orpster, is it known how many shields were minted?

why would Marsh have it as scarce?

There are no records that tell how many of each type were minted unfortunately, all we know is 1m in total
It will be scarce based on the author(s) knowledge of how many come to market, auction records etc. You will notice the G&D is only classed as 'Normal'
I have both but my shield is a pants example (polished).  If you ever sell I would be interested, or if you want to trade for something else

By that point in history shields were mainly minted for trade in the East where they were not keen on the George & Dragon, so shields were kind of 'minted to order'.  

2 minutes ago, Sovhead said:

I went with Chards but wasn’t sure what the Asterix meant IMG_9784.thumb.png.b69445f16c7eb9c972a083158afa1fed.png

The colonial young heads are mostly shared mintages, though there are a few they know the split.
I dont really use BBP but suspect thats what the asterix is yes, check the 1883M if there is no asterix thats another indicator as they know the split of shields & G&D for that year

3 minutes ago, bazbigfoot said:

im beginning to feel like im bamber gasgoine questions questions. i have an 1866 sov with die number 78 ive recently purchased marsh book and its not listed in there why ?  

PICA0472.jpg

PICA0477.jpg

It`s listed in mine. Perhaps you have the older version of The Gold Sovereign book?

5 minutes ago, bazbigfoot said:

im beginning to feel like im bamber gasgoine questions questions. i have an 1866 sov with die number 78 ive recently purchased marsh book and its not listed in there why ?  

PICA0472.jpg

PICA0477.jpg

Marsh book has got ‘errors’ in which are updated. Yours may not show this number, however it does exist and I have seen just now a sovereign with that number for sale.🤔

thanks for info marsh book was new but obviously old stock, theirs lots to learn with these sovereigns and lots to read and digest difficult for an old brain but very interesting , and i'm very grateful for advice ☺️

further to my vic 1866 die no 78 i have now seen it in listed marsh  ( eyesight ) must go to opticians , i now have found out i have a 1878 half sovereign with die no 68 what i cant find in marsh , until a few weeks ago i didn't even know there was die numbers starting to inspect my coins more with microscope . every days a schoolday

iv'e  taken some photos of my 1878 half  sov what iv'e  had for over a year and never looked at i really need to inspect every coin michael a marsh is feeding my brain 😇 also i take it die no  68 isn't listed because no ones come across it ?

PICA0024.jpg

PICA0025.jpg