• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

The Ezen Collection - Auction of the year? (spoiler)

not sure this is an already public news.. but i spotted sone clues on Heritage website few days ago... and my understanding is that the Ezen (or part of) sovereign dreamy collection will be auctioneed as of next May in the US

i m talking about dozens and dozens of incredibly high graded coins. And not gillicks.. but pre victorian... and shields. Ms 65-66 in most cases

Just to give you an idea... there will be "the" 1841 sovereign graded MS65+ (top pop of course, and it will fetch 100.000 USD imo). As there will be an official date i ll post some pics; they will be way too expensive for poor blokes like me, but at least images are (still) for free. 

I ll try to get my hands on the paper catalogue, at least!

Edited by refero

Posted (edited)

it's amazing the way this coin has been preserved throught years, decades, century! 

Slab is kind of a recent thing compared to the date of issue...  this coin is just Mint State

Edited by refero

1 hour ago, refero said:

here we go... couldnt resist... :(

obverse.jpg

reverse.jpg

It's a gorgeous coin - no doubt! But how does that get a 65+ with the wear on the lions' heads? Does the number of minted coins (obviously very low in this case) also impact the grade? Don't mean to be negative about it but genuinely curious how the grading works for such coins.

Edited by SlowFrog

Just now, SlowFrog said:

It's a gorgeous coin - no doubt! But how does that get a 65+ with the wear on the lion's heads? Does the number of minted coins (obviously very low in this case) also impact the grade? Don't mean to be negative about it but genuinely curious how the grading works for such coins.

Honest answer?

I've always thought that grading companies are far more lenient of rarer coins than common coins. I've seen it many times where a coin grading 'VG' is described as exquisite and having a beautiful rich tone and some remnants of being strongly struck with bold lettering. Of course such a coin would be a 1790s era US mint coin. A 1971 Lincoln cent in similar condition would be described as utter junk.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

The truth about grading is that it is NOT scientific. The Sheldon scale includes eye appeal as one of the valid descriptors of grade in MS grade. Eye appeal is totally subjective.

1 minute ago, SidS said:

The truth about grading is that it is NOT scientific. The Sheldon scale includes eye appeal as one of the valid descriptors of grade in MS grade. Eye appeal is totally subjective.

i am not a huge fan of slabs. However i am a huge fan of sovereigns.... )

Early shields sovereigns are often badly strucked. And the 3 lions on the reverse are usually the first to show that weakness. But it cant be confused with wear (and the lustre tells it); what you see (like for this 1841) is how the coin left the mint.

Just now, refero said:

Early shields sovereigns are often badly strucked. And the 3 lions on the reverse are usually the first to show that weakness. But it cant be confused with wear (and the lustre tells it); what you see (like for this 1841) is how the coin left the mint.

Not sure I agree entirely! Here's an 1848 I have..

1848_03.jpg.a3b0d0a07481954ef1a2d44eb233

Posted (edited)

i said "often". 😊

of course the optimum would be a coin with no wear AND perfectly strucked... 

lovely 1848 by the way. Could i see the obverse too?

Edited by refero

7 minutes ago, refero said:

i said "often". 😊

of course the optimum would be a coin with no wear AND perfectly strucked... 

lovely 1848 by the way. Could i see the obverse too?

Thanks - and sure! :)

image.thumb.jpeg.1820def26ee2ee21a7dbc01

Apologies about quality - I was using an old iphone with an attachment so it's blurry outside of the focal point. Looks better IRL.

Edited by SlowFrog

1 minute ago, SlowFrog said:

Thanks - and sure! :)

image.thumb.jpeg.1820def26ee2ee21a7dbc01

Apologies about quality - I was using an old iphone with an attachment so it's blurry outside of the focal point. Looks better IRL.

Very nice!

Just now, refero said:

pity for that scratch, else this coin would be a ms62-63 in my opinion

Cheers, the scratch looks terrible in that photo due to the light but it honestly isn't more than a surface/grime scrape if you look under a loupe. IMHO, the 'scratch' is just where it's removed surface dirt (I don't see it embedded in the gold at all when viewed at other angles). I really need to take better pictures of it.

Remember, these are coins that were meant for circulation 🤔 no doubt some wealthy families ended up putting them in piggy banks etc. some put away and forgotten, either way, some didn’t spend too long in circulation. 🤔😮

5 hours ago, refero said:

Just as NGC often under grade shields, PCGS often overgrade, I have seen it many many times.

The weak strike on the lions is real, I am not so convinced by the head, there looks like some mechanical damage to my eyes. Even if it is, the lustre and eye appeal on both sides is poor and negates the high grade imho

Profile picture with thanks to Carl Vernon