• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

British Monarchs Series - They Couldn’t, Could They?

Some things do seem a bit sluggish at the moment, but I'm hopeful that it is literally just paused and the rest of the coins will eventually come out.

Remember the City Views series? The last coin we saw in that series was released in 2022 believe it or not, so quite a few people have been speculating that it's been cancelled, but the next coin is actually coming out soon.

Have we hit the ceiling? 

we all want gold and silver to go to the moon, the knock on effect for commemorative coins will be painful, the “postponement” of the monarch series is likely to be the first of many.   It’s okay if they can use the same dies for 50ps for example as these can be used for the  BUNC base metal, silver and golds.   The monarch series is far more limited like others.

At a bullion sovereign being circa £440 a proof sovereign and the 1/4 proof coins will now be north of £800 per coin (unless the RM drastically cut their margin) which will never happen.

I loved collecting gold proof 50p’s but when they hit over £1000 it was a step too far for me…..Jesus how much is the next gold proof 50p gonna be at todays prices £1450-£1500?  Usually close to double the bullion price.  

Look at the sales figures for recent years they have only sold the low hundreds sometimes sub 100 gold proof 50ps not just 50ps but other coins as well.

we we’re always going to have this problem and it’s here today folks collectors in their droves will be shaken out of the tree……

……it’s not all doom and gloom and there’s loads the RM can do but they are acting like rabbits in the headlights.  

For sure, with the gold price skyrocketing AND the RM’s model of adding a huge almost 100% premium on proof coins, it will very soon be unsustainable for a majority of collectors to justify purchasing proof gold coins, because as most of us here must know from experience, wages aren’t exactly rising at the same pace.

Even the smallest 1/4oz gold proof coins (smallest to appreciate a design)  will be hard to justify purchasing at almost £1000.

Edited by westminstrel

57 minutes ago, BackyardBullion said:

The thing that annoys me is that despite having direct contact with the mint Press office they are not going to put any formal communication out via their newsletter or on the product listings to say that the series is paused.

All they will tell me is that it is under review and when a decision is made they will communicate it. 

I think it just adds to the general feeling that the RMint is completely ambivalent towards its customers. I know it’s a large corporation, and they aren’t known for good communication and flexibility… but to just leave everyone hanging many months after a scheduled release, especially those going out of their way to ask directly , is just poor. But we are on broken record territory now. 

the cost of the gold proofs for this series.. eye watering in 2022 are now not to be even thought about 🤪 surely the number of complete sets of 1oz gold will be crazy small, never mind larger. 

Edited by Agaupl

Aaaahhh😉

2 hours ago, westminstrel said:

For sure, with the gold price skyrocketing AND the RM’s model of adding a huge almost 100% premium on proof coins, it will very soon be unsustainable for a majority of collectors to justify purchasing proof gold coins, because as most of us here must know from experience, wages aren’t exactly rising at the same pace.

Even the smallest 1/4oz gold proof coins (smallest to appreciate a design)  will be hard to justify purchasing at almost £1000.

In 2018 a SOTD sovereign was £495   About a weeks okay-ish wage.  The next one in 2024 will be very easily in the £800 territory.

What’s the next  BU £5 sov 3.5k? 

1 hour ago, GoldDiggerDave said:

Begs the question at what point will it top collectors out of the market? 

Let alone the SOTD, the price of standard proof sovs is also on the march, so much so that collectors must be turning to more affordable proof half sovs.

Supply versus demand. What’s the chances of the Mint holding or slightly dropping proof sov prices if/when demand drops? Will they mint fewer? 

Off topic Monarch series wise, but just joining in the recent conversation.

On 04/04/2024 at 20:20, paulmerton said:

Some things do seem a bit sluggish at the moment, but I'm hopeful that it is literally just paused and the rest of the coins will eventually come out.

Remember the City Views series? The last coin we saw in that series was released in 2022 believe it or not, so quite a few people have been speculating that it's been cancelled, but the next coin is actually coming out soon.

I hope you're right. It does give some cause for optimism.

I think they should shake up the order so that a few better known monarchs come first. Like George V effigy used on the Waitangi Crown (NZ) would be popular. Or George III dressed as a Roman Emperor. I'd post links but I'm not sure if it's allowed... Even if they slow down the schedule

Waitangi obverse.jpg

1 hour ago, Whitebulldog said:

I hope you're right. It does give some cause for optimism.

I think they should shake up the order so that a few better known monarchs come first. Like George V effigy used on the Waitangi Crown (NZ) would be popular. Or George III dressed as a Roman Emperor. I'd post links but I'm not sure if it's allowed... Even if they slow down the schedule

Waitangi obverse.jpg

Can’t see them doing it. But it would be interesting. 

Aaaahhh😉

• 3 weeks later...

I've been following how this series is going on the secondary markets, seems like it's going as well as any other modern series.

George III was due this year, how about they use the Obverse of the Pistrucci

My copy has obviously seen better days of course

GIII.JPG

2 minutes ago, Whitebulldog said:

I've been following how this series is going on the secondary markets, seems like it's going as well as any other modern series.

George III was due this year, how about they use the Obverse of the Pistrucci

My copy has obviously seen better days of course

GIII.JPG

You know the series is paused and will probably be cancelled right?

Visit my website for all my Hand Poured Silver: http://backyardbullion.com

And check out my YouTube channel 

https://www.youtube.com/backyardbullion

49 minutes ago, BackyardBullion said:

You know the series is paused and will probably be cancelled right?

Do you have any more information, or is this some subtext I'm missing, so if the RM says it's paused that means they've cancelled it but they don't have the guts/decency to say so?

3 minutes ago, Whitebulldog said:

Do you have any more information, or is this some subtext I'm missing, so if the RM says it's paused that means they've cancelled it but they don't have the guts/decency to say so?

Its all about lining the pockets of the executive team bonuses. 

I have been informed that the Royal Mint have suspended their employee profit share bonuns scheme - but the Exec's still get all their bonuses. 

Anne Jessop earned £149k in bonuses last year on a £229k salary.

4 minutes ago, BackyardBullion said:

I have been informed that the Royal Mint have suspended their employee profit share bonuns scheme - but the Exec's still get all their bonuses. 

Oh, and don't forget the £84k in pension contributions she got too. 

1 minute ago, BackyardBullion said:

Wow...

I guess I don't really need to buy anything further from the Royal Mint. To be honest most of their series are not of interest and it's only the history of the place that makes it worthwhile. The monarch series and the great engravers are the only things I've bought that I'm glad I did.