• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Upgrading your gold bar or coin for another one

ZEE123

Upgrading your gold bar or coin for another one  

15 members have voted

1. 1. Would you do it?

I have had some thoughts recently about selling off gold bullion pieces for another one. My aim is to keep my gold for as long as possible, so when I buy a bar or coin I will want to see myself keep it for a very long time. However, I will occasionally see pieces of gold that I wish to add to my stack, which might mean cashing in or selling off one of my coins to obtain it. For example, I had a 1 oz gold bar and sold it to a bullion dealer so I can buy a Queen's Beast coin for its CGT exempt status. Although it doesn't just have to be pieces that are the same size, it might be that I own a 1/4 oz coin and I see a 1 oz coin I like better, so I use the 1/4 oz coin and any money on top to obtain the 1 oz coin.

The only pitfall of doing this is that you will make a loss on your bullion if you selling it off 6 - 12 months down the line, should you wish to do this. This isn't something I want to do too often as it will mean losing money, which ultimately defeats the purpose of own gold in the first place. I have left a poll in the post as I'm curious to see what everyone else's thoughts are.

Edited by ZEE123

16 minutes ago, ZEE123 said:

I have had some thoughts recently about selling off you gold bullion pieces for another one. My aim is to keep my gold for as long as possible, so when I buy a bar or coin I will want to see myself keep it for a very long time. However, I will occasionally see pieces of gold that I wish to add to my stack, which might mean cashing in or selling off one of my coins to obtain it. For example, I had a 1 oz gold bar and sold it to a bullion dealer so I can buy a Queen's Beast coin for its CGT exempt status. Although it doesn't just have to be pieces that are the same size, it might be that I own a 1/4 oz coin and I see a 1 oz coin I like better, so I use the 1/4 oz coin and any money on top to obtain the 1 oz coin.

The only pitfall of doing this is that you will make a loss on your bullion if you selling it off 6 - 12 months down the line, should you wish to do this. This isn't something I want to do too often as it will mean losing money, which ultimately defeats the purpose of own gold in the first place. I have left a poll in the post as I'm curious to see what everyone else's thoughts are.

I’ve done it a good few times sold some Geo V/ Edward VII bullion Sovs for £395 locally and bought young head Vics on here for £390 delivered think I’ve done that on 6 or 7 occasions now.

I don't understand your assumption if you bought 6 - 12 months ago you'll make a loss;

aside from that, yes, I indirectly sell non CGT exempt coins/bars and buy Royal Mint gold to replace it periodically.

A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they know they will never sit in.

Separately, I have not bought much direct from RM since the Jubilee Sovs, (except pricing errors ;) ) because so many of their proof sets/coins later get discounted by dealers due to higher production numbers than current demand.

A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they know they will never sit in.

8 minutes ago, MickB said:

I haven't sold any gold in the 10 years I've been buying. Waiting for retirement to offload as and when.

That's how long I intend to keep my gold. I intend to keep mine very long time too, but occasionally I might swap it for another piece of gold.

At the moment, I'm considering swapping my 1 oz gold Heraeus kinebar for a 50g Argor-Heraeus gold kinebar. A bigger bar and therefore a bigger image of that gorgeous holographic design on the back. I haven't decided if I'm going through with it yet or not but I'm weighing up my options. Either that or I could just buy if I manage to get enough money by then. Apparently it will soon be back in stock at Hatton Garden Metals. 

I'll leave you with a link for a video of the bar and a link from Hatton Garden Metals:

https://www.hattongardenmetals.com/gold-bar-50g-Certified-HERAEUS-KINE-BAR

I do this all the time, I am doing a date run of sovereigns and if I see one that is better than the example I have I will buy it, then if I need the money to balance the books I will sell original one or another coin I have no attachment to that is not part of my date run 

I do try and always increase the weight of my stack, but I am not that emotionally attached that I would not sell most of it if the need arose, certainly before any income paying investments.  The joy is often in the hunt and just having been lucky enough to own some of the coins I have owned is enough for me.  Having recently sold a lot of my gold to clear a mortgage I can tell you it only hurts for short time :) 

58 minutes ago, Coverte said:

I don't understand your assumption if you bought 6 - 12 months ago you'll make a loss;

aside from that, yes, I indirectly sell non CGT exempt coins/bars and buy Royal Mint gold to replace it periodically.

As mentioned earlier, I traded in my 1 oz gold bar so I can buy a 1 oz gold Queen's Beast coin. It was a White Horse of Hanover coin. I originally bought my gold bar for £1708 and got back £1576. So that means I made a loss of £132. That's what I meant by not wanting to do it all the time. However, I'll occasionally do it if I think there's something worth buying.

Edited by ZEE123

3 minutes ago, ZEE123 said:

As mentioned earlier, I traded in my 1 oz gold bar so I can buy a 1 oz gold Queen's Beast coin. It was a White Horse of Hanover coin. I originally bought my gold bar for £1708 and got back £1576. So that means I made a loss of £132. That's what I meant by not wanting to do it all the time. However, I'll occasionally do it if I think there's something worth buying.

That's less than spot, if you sold to a dealer next time consider selling privately to maximise your returns 

Tbh honest I am the same I am trying to complete a date run so I often swap bits out when something comes along, my problem is I have the attention span of a fish and eyes like a magpie so quite often end up buying with my heart not my head. 😆 🤣 

1 minute ago, Fenlander1 said:

Tbh honest I am the same I am trying to complete a date run so I often swap bits out when something comes along, my problem is I have the attention span of a fish and eyes like a magpie so quite often end up buying with my heart not my head. 😆 🤣 

date runs will destroy you --- i have spoken

Just now, Orpster said:

That's less than spot, if you sold to a dealer next time consider selling privately to maximise your returns 

Yes I'll consider selling it privately. This was before I became a TSF member, so at least I've learnt something from that experience. Also, it was a bar that I sold and people on the forum don't trust bars, particularly minted bars, as much as coins as they are more counterfeited. No harm in trying though 👍

4 hours ago, ZEE123 said:

That's how long I intend to keep my gold. I intend to keep mine very long time too, but occasionally I might swap it for another piece of gold.

At the moment, I'm considering swapping my 1 oz gold Heraeus kinebar for a 50g Argor-Heraeus gold kinebar. A bigger bar and therefore a bigger image of that gorgeous holographic design on the back. I haven't decided if I'm going through with it yet or not but I'm weighing up my options. Either that or I could just buy if I manage to get enough money by then. Apparently it will soon be back in stock at Hatton Garden Metals. 

I'll leave you with a link for a video of the bar and a link from Hatton Garden Metals:

https://www.hattongardenmetals.com/gold-bar-50g-Certified-HERAEUS-KINE-BAR

As a 1oz + fan I can see the attraction of that 50g beauty and hope you achieve your final decision,

CGT exempt is my main criteria these days but original RM 2oz coins are not very liquid unless a very, very sought after items, of which there are few, the right quintuple sovs are another story - in cases at least.

It sounds like you’re a stacker that’s becoming a collector as your swapping £ notes for something you like? That’s up to you and your prerogative, all depends why you’re in the game? By how you phrase your question I question your definition of a stack and believe you have succumb to the devils armpits of what the piece looks like! In which case do the deal, look at it when you want to and feel happy 😃 

Not too sure why people worry about cgt so much so you realise how much gold you would need to have to be liable for cgt? 

Seen people wetting their knickers over three or 4 sovs 

Plus who will actually declare that you have gold cgt and not just flog it here or to one eyed Barry of fat Dave at the pawno

1 hour ago, Leonmarsh said:

Not too sure why people worry about cgt so much so you realise how much gold you would need to have to be liable for cgt? 

Seen people wetting their knickers over three or 4 sovs 

Plus who will actually declare that you have gold cgt and not just flog it here or to one eyed Barry of fat Dave at the pawno

Ha, I’m working on the theory that it’ll be my kids who will have to worry about selling my PMs when I’ve departed so hoping to make it as easy as possible for them to avoid the need of getting hold of one eye Barry in my phone contacts. 

17 hours ago, Skyfiller said:

It sounds like you’re a stacker that’s becoming a collector as your swapping £ notes for something you like? That’s up to you and your prerogative, all depends why you’re in the game? By how you phrase your question I question your definition of a stack and believe you have succumb to the devils armpits of what the piece looks like! In which case do the deal, look at it when you want to and feel happy 😃 

What I meant by a stack was having a collection of gold and silver in the first place. Correct me if I'm wrong but I suppose your definition of a stack is building up collection of any gold and silver bullion, no matter what it is or what it looks like.

I've been investing in gold and silver for about a year and a half now and have been learning about what I personally look for in a collection. I like to think of myself as both a stacker and a collector. On one hand, I recently bought 5 VAT free silver eagles at a discount on Atkinsons Bullion for stacking purposes. On the other hand, I recently sold a 1/4 gold philharmonic coin so I could buy a 1/4 oz gold coronation coin. It just depends on what mood I'm in.

For me, I like to keep my gold for as long as possible to hedge against inflation, maybe even to go above inflation. Although now and again, I might see something which I believe is worth having in my collection, so I'll either go ahead and buy it or I'll sell some bullion pieces to obtain it.

Edited by ZEE123

5 hours ago, ZEE123 said:

What I meant by a stack was having a collection of gold and silver in the first place. Correct me if I'm wrong but I suppose your definition of a stack is building up collection of any gold and silver bullion, no matter what it is or what it looks like.

I've been investing in gold and silver for about a year and a half now and have been learning about what I personally look for in a collection. I like to think of myself as both a stacker and a collector. On one hand, I recently bought 5 VAT free silver eagles at a discount on Atkinsons Bullion for stacking purposes. On the other hand, I recently sold a 1/4 gold philharmonic coin so I could buy a 1/4 oz gold coronation coin. It just depends on what mood I'm in.

For me, I like to keep my gold for as long as possible to hedge against inflation, maybe even to go above inflation. Although now and again, I might see something which I believe is worth having in my collection, so I'll either go ahead and buy it or I'll sell some bullion pieces to obtain it.

Fair play. Ye, I stack sovereigns for their gold content to hedge against inflation. I take my hat off to you to be able to stack and collect at the same time. I know if I let collecting bug in me take hold it would ruin me as there are some awesome coins out there. 
If you see a piece of gold that you like and that means you have to sell some gold to get it, go for it! If it puts a smile on ya face, that’s got to be worth a few quid loss. 

I've never sold anything per say and try to keep to the cost averaging purchase and keep building up the stack.

I have made a few trades with members however for a grail piece (to me), something I couldn't normally afford or something more semi-numismatic which peaks my interest.

Generally as a caveat, this is when I know I can build the stack back up relatively quickly so the total Oz's remain or continue to progress...

Looking to complete a date run of Bu Sovs and still require; 2010, 2011, 2018 & 2019

On 12/02/2024 at 12:02, ZEE123 said:

I have had some thoughts recently about selling off gold bullion pieces for another one. My aim is to keep my gold for as long as possible, so when I buy a bar or coin I will want to see myself keep it for a very long time. However, I will occasionally see pieces of gold that I wish to add to my stack, which might mean cashing in or selling off one of my coins to obtain it. For example, I had a 1 oz gold bar and sold it to a bullion dealer so I can buy a Queen's Beast coin for its CGT exempt status. Although it doesn't just have to be pieces that are the same size, it might be that I own a 1/4 oz coin and I see a 1 oz coin I like better, so I use the 1/4 oz coin and any money on top to obtain the 1 oz coin.

If you don't maintain the frothy happy cycle of selling your pms for exactly the same pms in a different form the whole gold and silver lovefest will collapse in on itself and create a nuclear sized crater with life changing ramifications for all of us whereby the universe becomes a hollowed out shell of its former silver /golden loveliness and why? Because someone resisted swapping out their John Wick silver for some Kookaburras that's why! And then where will we all be? We'll be looking to get obsessed over something else that's what. Don't peel that curtain back, just keep on swapping ... or this ...