• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

At Buyers Risk

1 minute ago, NGMD said:

When I get off my lazy arse to sell something it is always SD Included- no option given. 

My cost, my responsibility and mine to chase if it gets lost- never the buyer. 

Some lower cost items £10/£30 i dont mind 2nd class or whatever.As i wouldn't be to bothered about it getting lost.

1 hour ago, Sovhead said:

I understand what both of you are saying but there are listings that state SD and STILL state at “Buyers risk”

I agree but you have to weigh up yourself in which buyer you trust and have faith in. It's a big deal.

I always request SD as a buyer and always post with SD only as a seller.

Edited by MrStacker

2 minutes ago, Darr3nG said:

As the buyer or seller?

Buyer :P seller wise think i only ever had one person wanting 2nd class.Which you can talk to and explain the risks and what not.

ebay i always just do SD as it cuts the risks on there,Unless the item im selling i got for free 😄

From time to time i sell plants on there,so 2nd class is fine as any higher postage costs gives me like £1 profit lol.

Off topic a little but as far as I know Royal Mail will tell you how your item is insured but when it comes to claiming you better have the original purchase receipt. If you bought on here you wont have one. 

In the unlikely event your item goes AWOL is it worth the risk sending Gold at around spot?

Happy to be corrected if others have had a better experience from Royal Mail.

"It might make sense just to get some in case it catches on"  - Satoshi Nakamoto 2009

"Its going to Zero" - Peter Schiff 2013

"$1,000,000,000 by 2050"  - Fidelity 2024

Just now, ArgentSmith said:

Off topic a little but as far as I know Royal Mail will tell you how your item is insured but when it comes to claiming you better have the original purchase receipt. If you bought on here you wont have one. 

In the unlikely event your item goes AWOL is it worth the risk sending Gold at around spot?

seller will as its only them that can claim.

1 minute ago, blackadder said:

From time to time i sell plants on there,so 2nd class is fine as any higher postage costs gives me like £1 profit lol.

About the same as a 1oz Gold Krug

Just now, blackadder said:

seller will as its only them that can claim.

Agreed but not the question

"It might make sense just to get some in case it catches on"  - Satoshi Nakamoto 2009

2 minutes ago, ArgentSmith said:

I get your point, but I keep a large number of dealers receipts of varying cost/amounts, just incase I need them some day. Thankfully I've never needed them yet..touch wood.

I like to buy the pre-dip dip

Just now, James32 said:

I get your point, but I keep a large number of dealers receipts of varying cost/amounts, just incase I need them some day. Thankfully I've never needed them yet..touch wood.

A while ago I attempted to claim and RM wanted proof of sale (ie auction site address item number) and original purchase receipt with a view to compensating original purchase price not sale price. Would suck if you bought low and sold high 😵‍💫

Worth bearing in mind, if others know different please share.

PS Im not trying to derail thread, and agree with SD its the seller who needs to assume risk. Just pointing out what the risk may be.

1 minute ago, ArgentSmith said:

A while ago I attempted to claim and RM wanted proof of sale (ie auction site address item number) and original purchase receipt with a view to compensating original purchase price not sale price. Would suck if you bought low and sold high 😵‍💫

PS Im not trying to derail thread, and agree with SD its the seller who needs to assume risk. Just pointing out what the risk may be.

They will always try and worm their way outta things,took them afew months to sort a problem i had out,then they offered me a book of stamps lol.

44 minutes ago, ArgentSmith said:

I over insure the life out of everything and have receipts to match most amounts. Proof of purchase/sale can be a photo of a thread on here and bank statement to match amount. But I really do get your point and if they can get out of it then they will certainly try.

Edited by James32

I like to buy the pre-dip dip

51 minutes ago, James32 said:

100% agreed. If I didn't think I was covered and seller wouldn't stand over me, I'd just ask for a stamp straight on the fooking coin.

Bundle of coins you mean 🤣🤣🤣

We as sellers or buyers are grateful when the item arrives safely. 

I wonder if anyone on this forum has ever had to claim for the cost of a few sovereigns going missing and how they got the claim payed.

Regarding the original question, responsibility is on seller. Do not give someone an option to take a lower postage fee. The other way round is to go 50/50 to increase the postage to SD.  This is another reason I would never sell just 1oz of silver.  The is another option that covers up to £150 but again not jewellery or precious metals.  That one is s tracked 12 or 24 hours.

Never Chase and Never Regret 

1 hour ago, Darr3nG said:

Apologies @BritStacker, but there is a conversation here around RMSD and the buyer having to assume the risk of shipping (as in your listings, for example).

Is this interpretation what you really mean?

Keyboard warriors need to read up on facts before casting aspersions and making acusations against my integrity. I have worked in supply chain all my life. I know the law when it comes to freight. Title passes to the buyer upon payment. Direct from royal mail. "The sender or the recipient of the item may both claim for a lost item but only one will be paid compensation. If both claim for the same item then Royal Mail will process only the sender’s claim unless compensation has already been paid to the recipient. The claimant is required to provide the same evidence regardless of whether they are the sender or recipient."

Apologies folks but I too would like to go slightly off topic regarding sending coins by special delivery. I’ve noticed a few times when stood in the queue at the Post Office that the lady behind the counter asks customers can you tell me what the package contains? I’d never dream of stating a gold coin for obvious reasons, but if you were confronted by the same question what answer would you give (apart from calling her a nosey cow)?  Thank you.

Own it and Love it.

(With thanks to 9x883 for the suggestion)

Just now, GoodAsGold said:

Apologies folks but I too would like to go slightly off topic regarding sending coins by special delivery. I’ve noticed a few times when stood in the queue at the Post Office that the lady behind the counter asks customers can you tell me what the package contains? I’d never dream of stating a gold coin for obvious reasons, but if you were confronted by the same question what answer would you give (apart from calling her a nosey cow)?  Thank you.

I once said fireworks and the wee guy fcukin hates me now 🤣🤣👍🏻

Just now, GoodAsGold said:

It has zero baring on whether something is insured.

I have been asked by post office workers many times and each time I say, "nothing prohibited" and if they ask again to clarify I say I'm not telling you anything else. Captain subtext says "mind your business and jog on"

Works every time for me

Visit my website for all my Hand Poured Silver: http://backyardbullion.com

And check out my YouTube channel 

https://www.youtube.com/backyardbullion

Just now, BackyardBullion said:

It has zero baring on whether something is insured.

I have been asked by post office workers many times and each time I say, "nothing prohibited" and if they ask again to clarify I say I'm not telling you anything else. Captain subtext says "mind your business and jog on"

Works every time for me

Thanks for your expertise BYB.

Own it and Love it.

(With thanks to 9x883 for the suggestion)

If a seller won't offer the guarantee when sending something via special delivery I suspect, on this forum at least, they will end up bumping their unsold sales listings every day for 30 days and then just relist. 

Visit my website for all my Hand Poured Silver: http://backyardbullion.com

And check out my YouTube channel 

https://www.youtube.com/backyardbullion