• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Memorial Five Sovereign B.U.

RDHC

I bought one of these coins directly from the RM on issue.

Personally I don't think it will be a particularly good investment, compared to say the Platinum Jubilee BU 5 sovereign coin for example.  But it's an impressive coin with a special reverse and is always likely to hold some appeal to collectors.

I'm pleased to own the coin, but wouldn't buy it purely for investment.  The same money buys about seven bullion sovereigns, which are likely to be better investments, but not as visually impressive.  The BU quintuple would also be harder to sell than the bullion sovereigns, and of course you are selling the entire investment/coin in one go, rather then potentially selling the bullion sovereigns in stages.

Gratuitous photos:

IMG_E0308.JPG

IMG_E0309.JPG

I'd probably try to get a graded proof rather than the bullion. 

For comparison I paid 2500 for an ms70 jubillee matte quintuple, you'd be damn near double that for a proof, people just don't seem to appreciate the matte quintuple. Then again they also don't appreciate the memorial sov.

Buy what you like most, and there's a chance others like it, too. Therefore, it's a good investment as someone might buy it from you in the future.

Don't buy something you don't like just because others so tell. They're probably just trying to sell to you and find a way out.

Edited by SeverinDigsSovereigns

If we do the right thing this time, we might have to do the right thing again next time.

Thank you to all who have replied. Much good sense in what you all say. Actually, I prefer the jubilee version, both the obverse and the reverse, so perhaps I ought to wait for one of those, if funds permit, but the memorial quintuple does seem to be still available.

14 hours ago, Stuntman said:

I bought one of these coins directly from the RM on issue.

Personally I don't think it will be a particularly good investment, compared to say the Platinum Jubilee BU 5 sovereign coin for example.  But it's an impressive coin with a special reverse and is always likely to hold some appeal to collectors.

I'm pleased to own the coin, but wouldn't buy it purely for investment.  The same money buys about seven bullion sovereigns, which are likely to be better investments, but not as visually impressive.  The BU quintuple would also be harder to sell than the bullion sovereigns, and of course you are selling the entire investment/coin in one go, rather then potentially selling the bullion sovereigns in stages.

Gratuitous photos:

IMG_E0308.JPG

IMG_E0309.JPG

Totally agree, same view.... To be honest, this is a very nice coin on hand for appreciation purpose.

I bought both the matte Memorial and the matte Platinum Jubilee quintuples. The Memorial was purchased raw through a third party RM distributor on release date. It arrived with either hairs or other debris on it so I asked @GoldDiggerDave to conserve it and he did a delightful job. My matte Platinum Jubilee was bought graded. I didn’t have the cash to buy the proof versions at the time, but buying the matte versions didn’t turn out to be my best decisions. 

Little did I know that I’d go on to buy both proof versions several months along the line, so buying the matte versions proved to be a false economy with hindsight. I can always move them on though at some point. Truth of the matter is that they’re nice big shiny gold coins but they don’t have the same eye appeal as the proof versions in my humble opinion. 

On 21/11/2023 at 10:50, apachebleu said:

For comparison I paid 2500 for an ms70 jubillee matte quintuple

That was a very decent price. I don’t know the RM issue price for the raw Platinum Jubilee BU quintuple but Sovereign Rarities had an MS70 First Releases label one which was priced just the wrong side of £3K which I decided to buy last November.

By then the RM was showing the raw version as sold out, but with a price of £2.9K. I assume the price had been bumped up since the issue date but £2.5K for your MS70 quintuple surely has to be hard to beat. So hats off to you.

Edited by GoodAsGold
Typo

If we have a mid 2024 sovereign launch £5 BU and Piedfort  (possibly)   if gold keeps going up it's very likely  the £5BU's will be will over 3.2K  and the piedfort will into 1.4k ish area.   

The £5 BU in 2018 was £1895 if i remember correctly and the piedfort was around £900.  

20 minutes ago, Stuntman said:

The 2022 Platinum Jubilee BU 5 sovereign piece was priced at £2635 by the RM on release. 

I bought one of those too, and still have it.  I think the coins make a nice pair, regardless of their investment potential.  

Much obliged for that info Stuntman.

53 minutes ago, Stuntman said:

The 2022 Platinum Jubilee BU 5 sovereign piece was priced at £2635 by the RM on release. 

I bought one of those too, and still have it.  I think the coins make a nice pair, regardless of their investment potential.  

Don't poo poo the £5 BU's yet the mintage figures for some of these are very low.   

4 hours ago, GoodAsGold said:

That was a very decent price. I don’t know the RM issue price for the raw Platinum Jubilee BU quintuple but Sovereign Rarities had an MS70 First Releases label one which was priced just the wrong side of £3K which I decided to buy last November.

By then the RM was showing the raw version as sold out, but with a price of £2.9K. I assume the price had been bumped up since the issue date but £2.5K for your MS70 quintuple surely has to be hard to beat. So hats off to you.

It was certainly over 2500, I actually bought one from the mint on release and returned it due to fingerprints. I bought mine from @Spanishsilver on here. I would add I may have got a good deal because he has a slightly unusual domestic arrangement that may make buyers question him however I've bought a few things from him and knew he was legit.

Edited by apachebleu

2 hours ago, GoldDiggerDave said:

Don't poo poo the £5 BU's yet the mintage figures for some of these are very low.   

I agree, and also these were released later than the proofs so these and the piedforts are actually the last qe2 sovereigns released, they may well have their day