• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Ebay buyer switches gold coin and returns a fake will I be protected as a seller ?

2 hours ago, flyingveepixie said:

I'm glad you got this sorted in your favour, but it begs the question : will you be selling any more pms on ebay in the future..?  (I hope the answer is a resounding NO..!😁)

I've never trusted buying PMs on eBay, let alone trying to sell them on there

The closer the collapse of an Empire, the crazier it's laws - Marcus Tullius Cicero

We had the warning in 2006-9 but central banks ignored it and just added new worthless debt to existing worthless debt to create worthless debt squared – an obvious recipe for disaster. - Egon von Greyerz

https://www.thesilverforum.com/topic/83864-uk-bank-regulations/

Tracked parcels are delivered all day long ,  even after the regular postie has finished their round.  Normally by agency staff who don't know the area.  For example you could live in Green Street and its been delivered to Green Close.  So best call the local office , ask for the manager and they can pin point where the parcel was miss delivered exactly.  Better still never use any service other than Special delivery for expensive items. 

34 minutes ago, pricha said:

I suppose this scam has been going on for some time and eBay are well aware of it hence the quickish resolve.  Depends on feedback I'd say. A 2000 plus seller is going to believed more than a half dozen feedback buyer.  

The buyer had 11 feedback from purchasing , although the case was closed in my favour ( so I didn't loose anything ) Ebay still issued a full refund to the buyer and his account is still live. So he gets to keep the purchase money and the Gold 1/4oz 😳

Seems crazy that a known fraudster can be allowed to carry on purchasing with their Ebay account knowing that they can fiddle returns and get compensation.

Also the fraudster knows that negative  feedback can't be left on his account and no feedback can be left once a return has been issued.

2 minutes ago, Midasfrog said:

The buyer had 11 feedback from purchasing , although the case was closed in my favour ( so I didn't loose anything ) Ebay still issued a full refund to the buyer and his account is still live. So he gets to keep the purchase money and the Gold 1/4oz 😳

Seems crazy that a known fraudster can be allowed to carry on purchasing with their Ebay account knowing that they can fiddle returns and get compensation.

Also the fraudster knows that negative  feedback can't be left on his account and no feedback can be left once a return has been issued.

Ahh, that's infuriating, but to be honest it doesn't surprise me at all.  Ebay is nothing more than a cesspit of scammers and crooks these days, and while there are good people still trying to get by on there buying and selling in an honest way, their efforts are continually undermined by exactly this kind of thing.  It's what made me give up on it after 20 odd years.

6 minutes ago, Midasfrog said:

Oh dear. Did you get your money for the coin?

You can leave feedback, but its a little difficult. You have to leave feedback for a different transaction. Then when you've done that you get asked What you'd like to do next, Return to your ebay account or leave more feedback. If you click on leave more feed back A list of transactions that you've not left feedback for comes up. Even though this Transaction doesn't appear in your normal transactions awaiting feedback, It will appear here then leave them the feedback they deserve.

12 minutes ago, Midasfrog said:

Hold up

The buyer got to keep the item AND get a refund? So scam-boi made like £400 by being a next Tuesday? 

Talk about perverse incentives. It's little wonder eBay is full of asshats if that's how the system works. The scammer should be facing charges not getting paid. Unreal

Mind is primary and mass-energy is derivative

14 minutes ago, HonestMoneyGoldSilver said:

Hold up

The buyer got to keep the item AND get a refund? So scam-boi made like £400 by being a next Tuesday? 

Talk about perverse incentives. It's little wonder eBay is full of asshats if that's how the system works. The scammer should be facing charges not getting paid. Unreal

wtf. that's crazy. I thought Midasfrog was getting the money back for his item and this s.o.b. was getting kicked off and j.s.

2 minutes ago, Midasfrog said:

Yes the sales money stayed in my account as I won the case in my favour 👍

But Ebay still give the fraudster a full refund out of Ebays money.

So yes the scammer gets to keep the £460 proof 1/4oz and £460 refund that Ebay give to him 😳

Mental. Probably complained to ebay that his feels would have been hurt if they didn't give him the money. Glad you got your funds though. 

1 minute ago, Midasfrog said:

I did a quick search on FaceBook and I think I found a picture of him 😀 one account stood out from all the others 🤔

Might print this off and pass to the Police as a possible lead 😁

what was his username on ebay?

9 minutes ago, Midasfrog said:

I did a quick search on FaceBook and I think I found a picture of him 😀 one account stood out from all the others 🤔

Give what you can to the police. However, They are more likely to say that it's a civil matter and that the issue has been resolved by ebay. In this mental world though I'd not hold out much hope with the police. Usually they think their job has been done if the issue a crime number for insurance. You may find them coming after you for harassment. Only because your in front of them and the easy target. Not wanting to p!$$ on anyone's parade but unless they've committed hate speech against you, nowaday's you've got no chance with the police.

1 hour ago, HonestMoneyGoldSilver said:

Hold up

agreed🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬

1 hour ago, ZRPMs said:

Oh dear. Did you get your money for the coin?

You can leave feedback, but its a little difficult. You have to leave feedback for a different transaction. Then when you've done that you get asked What you'd like to do next, Return to your ebay account or leave more feedback. If you click on leave more feed back A list of transactions that you've not left feedback for comes up. Even though this Transaction doesn't appear in your normal transactions awaiting feedback, It will appear here then leave them the feedback they deserve.

Yes time to draw a line under this I was able to walk away without loosing anything. 

However the fraud will still go on.

Just now, Midasfrog said:

Yes time to draw a line under this I was able to walk away without loosing anything. 

However the fraud will still go on.

Sadly your right. It's a messed up world we're in at the moment. The fact you got your funds Is the win. I would be happy that you've done all you can to alert ebay and the police to the fraud if you can work out how to give the feedback that's the sellers on ebay alerted and you've had your funds. Its a poor substitute for knowing that the fraudster has literally got away with it. but you've done all you can.

I agree. If you got a refund then it's a eBay problem.  As a massive corporation they're probably happy to accept small losses.  Stress is a killer and it's not worth winding yourself up any more about it.  The police are totally useless as some one said , unless you like to wear woman's underware and call yourself Wendy they won't be interested.  Better to accept it as a lesson , the forum is a better place to sell generally , although we shouldn't get to complacent.  Scammers are everywhere. 

Edited by pricha

On 26/08/2023 at 15:48, Midasfrog said:

He used a Best One convenience store as his parcel drop off address , so difficult to trace him that way. Also just checked my orders and looks like Ebay have payed his refund which seems strange or maybe they are investigating further and are holding the funds . His account is still in use.

Web capture_26-8-2023_154219_www.ebay.co.uk.jpeg

Web capture_26-8-2023_154133_www.ebay.co.uk.jpeg

They most likely did refund him and sided with you to :) he's most likely scamming someone else now.

As ebay is just a scammers paradise,Out of all the coins i sold on there i got scammed five times.

Also on a graphics card i sold,the guy said it wasn't working then sent back his old card.

Problem is they are allowed to get away with it,The place is the pits and **** ebay :)

The only way i'd ever sell on there now is,If i got the item i was selling for free.

2 hours ago, Midasfrog said:

They don't care.You can cancel sales from people with x amount of feedback btw.

Ebay can take money out of your account anytime they like.  One day I noticed they just took £360 from my account. When they got in touch someone put in a claim for non recipient of goods. I swear this was almost one year later after the sale. I still had the receipt for the Special Delivery , but before I could query it the money was back in my bank.. that was a bizzare one. 

Edited by pricha