• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Memorial Sovereign V Memorial Sovereign

AaaGee

What would be best for investment purposes?

Ive got a Proof and Bullion memorial sovereign. Due to finances i can afford one more indulgence (of around the £400 mark) before April/may. Maybe more but i dont know yet.

Would it be best to get another bullion full or a Proof half sovereign?

Opinions and maybe reasons for your opinions please?

Still learning 🙂

AaaGee 

Just now, TheShinyStuff said:

I'd personally sit tight for the Coronation sovereign.

But aren't they going to be available from May through to the end if the year? So i can worry about them later in the year. Or are they only going to be available for a very short period?

22 minutes ago, TheShinyStuff said:

I'd personally sit tight for the Coronation sovereign.

19 minutes ago, AaaGee said:

But aren't they going to be available from May through to the end if the year? So i can worry about them later in the year. Or are they only going to be available for a very short period?

8 minutes ago, AaaGee said:

There will probably be a rush to get the proof coins on release day, there may also be a S.o.D. (Struck on the Day), and who knows, perhaps a piedfort...

What about a Camilla coin?

There were some recent Privy Council London Gazette notices also linked on here, although I have not had time to read them through.

If anything sells out rapidly, it is likely to be the proofs. If there are bullion versions, I would expect them to be available for a few months at least, but at this stage, I expect nobody knows!

😎

Chards

2 hours ago, AaaGee said:

What would be best for investment purposes?

Ive got a Proof and Bullion memorial sovereign. Due to finances i can afford one more indulgence (of around the £400 mark) before April/may. Maybe more but i dont know yet.

Would it be best to get another bullion full or a Proof half sovereign?

Opinions and maybe reasons for your opinions please?

Still learning 🙂

AaaGee 

Bog standard full bull sovereigns. Any age and within reason, any condition. As others have said, they're easy to acquire and easy to liquidate. The idea of buying a proof rather than an equivalent value amount of bullion sovereigns makes me want to shake my head violently screaming no no. no no no. Then again I'm more pie and chips than Potato Dauphinoise. 

1 hour ago, CazLikesCoins said:

Bog standard full bull sovereigns. Any age and within reason, any condition. As others have said, they're easy to acquire and easy to liquidate. The idea of buying a proof rather than an equivalent value amount of bullion sovereigns makes me want to shake my head violently screaming no no. no no no. Then again I'm more pie and chips than Potato Dauphinoise. 

We are all different.

If it purely as an investment in precious metals, then yes to bullion sovereigns, although one ounce gold Britannias probably now hit the "sweet spot". Proof are probably  better for those who appreciate aesthetic values, but buying a 1989 proof sovereign in its early days would have ticked just about all boxes. They were not an immediate success, as you can glean from the mintage figures compared with the issue limit:

https://goldsovereigns.co.uk/1989sovereign.php

Unfortunately, we neglected to note the original issue price, which would have been a nice piece of historic information!

😎

Chards

2 minutes ago, LawrenceChard said:

We are all different.

If it purely as an investment in precious metals, then yes to bullion sovereigns, although one ounce gold Britannias probably now hit the "sweet spot". Proof are probably  better for those who appreciate aesthetic values, but buying a 1989 proof sovereign in its early days would have ticked just about all boxes. They were not an immediate success, as you can glean from the mintage figures compared with the issue limit:

Unfortunately, we neglected to note the original issue price, which would have been a nice piece of historic information!

😎

I think it's the knowledge potential collectors need, to buy effectively both financially and in terms of market judgment that I lack that puts me off looking into the world of proofs. I mean there's no point buying the proof reunion sovereign depicting prince Harry entwined around a fig leaf while prince William adoringly sucks what's left of his hair, if they made one, if future generations aren't keen on paying a premium for a comedy coin you've held for a lifetime hoping to retire on. I wouldn't know where to start, and it sounds very expensive. Nope, pie and chips all the way for me. :)  

13 minutes ago, CazLikesCoins said:

I think it's the knowledge potential collectors need, to buy effectively both financially and in terms of market judgment that I lack that puts me off looking into the world of proofs. I mean there's no point buying the proof reunion sovereign depicting prince Harry entwined around a fig leaf while prince William adoringly sucks what's left of his hair, if they made one, if future generations aren't keen on paying a premium for a comedy coin you've held for a lifetime hoping to retire on. I wouldn't know where to start, and it sounds very expensive. Nope, pie and chips all the way for me. :)  

Lol. You seem to have a pretty good idea of what to avoid!!!

I agree. Im not in a position to be buying gold proofs left, right and centre.

But with the unfortunate passing of our Queen and a change of monarchy, there will be a few coins with limited runs that are worth purchasing. Ala the Memorial and the Coronation.

Then I'll be reverting back to the odd proof silver lol

5 hours ago, LawrenceChard said:

We are all different.

😎

Proof Sovereigns were £149.95 from 1983 - 1991. The 1989 4 coin set was £1150. Oddly enough, the price of the Sovereign dropped slightly to £149.00 from 1994 to 1998 something to do with VAT I believe! - I bought my 1989  4 coin set on the secondary market for £850 in 1997. Just for info.😀

Edited by Britannia47

41 minutes ago, AaaGee said:

I agree. Im not in a position to be buying gold proofs left, right and centre.

But with the unfortunate passing of our Queen and a change of monarchy, there will be a few coins with limited runs that are worth purchasing. Ala the Memorial and the Coronation.

Then I'll be reverting back to the odd proof silver lol

Similar outlook myself. This is a pretty unique point in history. 

I have the Platinum Jubilee, the memorial and aim to get the Coronation proof sovereign.

I expect that will be the end of my foray into the world of proof gold!

5 minutes ago, TheShinyStuff said:

Similar outlook myself. This is a pretty unique point in history. 

I have the Platinum Jubilee, the memorial and aim to get the Coronation proof sovereign.

I expect that will be the end of my foray into the world of proof gold!

Same for me! A proof Coronation Sovereign will definitely be my last, to go with the 2 x 2022s - Honestly!

1 hour ago, CazLikesCoins said:

I don't know about pie, but we have a good fish and chip shop directly across the road from our showroom!

😎

Chards

51 minutes ago, Britannia47 said:

Proof Sovereigns were £149.95 from 1983 - 1991. The 1989 4 coin set was £1150. Oddly enough, the price of the Sovereign dropped slightly to £149.00 from 1994 to 1998 something to do with VAT I believe! - I bought my 4 coin set on the secondary market for £850 in 1997. Just for info.😀

Thanks for that information. You are probably right about the VAT, but investment gold, which includes proof sovereigns, did not become exempt until January 1st 2000.

That was a good price on the 1997 set. We often had them for sale below the original issue prices in those days. I remember advertising a supermarket style "Buy 3 get 2 free" offer on a number of gold proof sets.

😎

Chards

29 minutes ago, LawrenceChard said:

Thanks for that information. You are probably right about the VAT, but investment gold, which includes proof sovereigns, did not become exempt until January 1st 2000.

That was a good price on the 1997 set. We often had them for sale below the original issue prices in those days. I remember advertising a supermarket style "Buy 3 get 2 free" offer on a number of gold proof sets.

😎

You should roll back the years on that 3 for 2 offer. It would make up for your frankly ludicrous stance on postage!🤣

32 minutes ago, TheShinyStuff said:

You should roll back the years on that 3 for 2 offer. It would make up for your frankly ludicrous stance on postage!🤣

I am sorry to hear you call my stance on (free) postage "ludicrous".

As this Topic is posted under the "Gold" section, I will give a brief example based on a gold bullion sovereign.

Currently, we make about 2.5% gross profit on a single new sovereign. That is about £9. If we were to sell that "post free" we would make about £3, but it probably costs us £1 to £2 in labour and other admin costs. Would you work on that sort of profit margin?

I don't mind being competitive, our new sovereigns are from £6 to £23 cheaper than our major UK competitors, and even after postage we are still from £0.30 to £17 cheaper.

If you buy 2 pieces, our prices become even more competitive, because our "free postage" competitors don't give you any rebate on the postage you are already paying on your first coin, so we are then:

From £3 to £20 per coin cheaper.

Actually, writing that may have persuaded me that you could be right. We should simply add the postage to our prices, and charge more like most of our competitors. We would make more profit! Perhaps it is ludicrous for us not to maximise our profits, but...

Apart from the fact that it is a more direct and simple price calculation to quote the actual item price, then show it with postage, than to miss showing customer the "shop", "collection", or "storage" prices first, I would not enjoy treating customers as gullible morons by telling them they are getting "free postage", when I know there is no such thing. There is "including postage", but not "free postage". I much prefer treating our potential customers as intelligent, and with respect!

😎

Chards