• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Low mintage coin dealers

GodsMoney

Hi I see Germany has EMK  and the US has Apmex, theres probably loads of others I'm  missing, but I'm in the UK. Does anyone have any suggestions for dealers that deal in rare and low mintage coins like you can find at these other (foreign for me) websites?

10 minutes ago, carrigher82 said:

Hi I see Germany has EMK  and the US has Apmex, theres probably loads of others I'm  missing, but I'm in the UK. Does anyone have any suggestions for dealers that deal in rare and low mintage coins like you can find at these other (foreign for me) websites?

There are quite a few.  Here's a starting point from the exhibitors list in the coin fair a couple of weeks ago.  Many of these outfits do rare coins and numismatics, although quite a few are mainly concerned with base metal coinage.  I suggest you peruse their web sites and get in contact with them (not all maintain a web shopfront).  A few of them also maintain a presence here.

https://www.coinfairs.co.uk/events/london-coin-fair-2023-02-04/

Edited by Silverlocks

The Sovereign is the quintessentially British coin.  It has a German queen on the front, an Italian waiter on the back, and half of them were made in Australia.

1 hour ago, carrigher82 said:

Low mintage coin dealers

There is only one of me.

That surely makes me a low mintage coin dealer!

I would be asking why low mintage is important to you.

Also are you interested in modern coins with low issues, or older.

This search page lists a number modern ones:

https://www.chards.co.uk/products/low-mintage-coins

The first item on the list has a mintage or issue limit (not always the same), of 15 pieces.

Earlier today I mentioned a Henry III gold penny (of 20 pence). It is or was considered to be unique. I noticed a similar coin sold by auction for over £500,000.

I could also talk to the Perth Mint if you were interested in buying their unique one tonne gold coin. Its intrinsic gold value is about £50 million. It is also the world's largest gold coin.

😎

Chards

27 minutes ago, LawrenceChard said:

Earlier today I mentioned a Henry III gold penny (of 20 pence). It is or was considered to be unique. I noticed a similar coin sold by auction for over £500,000.

😎

I take it the Chinese haven't had a go at this one yet then?

6 hours ago, carrigher82 said:

Have a look at All Gold Coins, they are also a member on the forum.

@Allgoldcoins

1 hour ago, MonkeysUncle said:

Are you proof or bullion? ;)

There are proof versions of bullion coins, which is a kind of oxymoron.

If we look at a defintion of bullion:

"Bullion, a term used to describe precious metals that are valued for their weight and purity rather than for any collectible or numismatic value." Source: https://www.chards.co.uk/guides/what-is-bullion/213

I don't think I would be worth much melted down for my weight (under 70 kilos), so I guess I should opt to be proof, in which case I hope I would rate as 100% proof.

The nexrt logical question is "Am I FDC?"

😎

Chards

41 minutes ago, sovereignsteve said:

Sounds like to need to be sent to NGC, although you may not enjoy being slabbed.

No, but it is inevitable.

After which I would prefer to be cremated rather than interred. It takes up less space, and it sounds much warmer.

Also...

I would then be charred!

😎

Chards

On 15/02/2023 at 19:41, carrigher82 said:

On 15/02/2023 at 21:15, LawrenceChard said:

There is only one of me.

That surely makes me a low mintage coin dealer!

I would be asking why low mintage is important to you.

Also are you interested in modern coins with low issues, or older.

This search page lists a number modern ones:

https://www.chards.co.uk/products/low-mintage-coins

The first item on the list has a mintage or issue limit (not always the same), of 15 pieces.

I could also talk to the Perth Mint if you were interested in buying their unique one tonne gold coin. Its intrinsic gold value is about £50 million. It is also the world's largest gold coin.

😎

On 15/02/2023 at 19:50, Silverlocks said:

There are quite a few.  Here's a starting point from the exhibitors list in the coin fair a couple of weeks ago.  Many of these outfits do rare coins and numismatics, although quite a few are mainly concerned with base metal coinage.  I suggest you peruse their web sites and get in contact with them (not all maintain a web shopfront).  A few of them also maintain a presence here.

https://www.coinfairs.co.uk/events/london-coin-fair-2023-02-04/

On 15/02/2023 at 21:44, SidS said:

I take it the Chinese haven't had a go at this one yet then?

On 16/02/2023 at 01:58, Foster88 said:

Have a look at All Gold Coins, they are also a member on the forum.

@Allgoldcoins

On 17/02/2023 at 08:44, MonkeysUncle said:

Are you proof or bullion? ;)

On 17/02/2023 at 10:58, sovereignsteve said:

Sounds like to need to be sent to NGC, although you may not enjoy being slabbed.

14 hours ago, Leonmarsh said:

Silbury coins 

It looks like the OP @carrigher82 has done a "hit and run", which is a pity after a few TSF members tries to help.

His question was, like many, somewhat vague, but worse, he has not come back to clarify or refine his question, so will be missing out on possibly useful information and opinions.

Are we wasting out time trying to help?

One point I would have made in a fuller discussion would be does he appreciate the difference between "issue limit", which might be high, "mintage" which may be lower, or even "issued", which may be much lower still?

For example:

"The 1933 double eagle is a United States 20-dollar gold coin. Although 445,500 specimens of this Saint-Gaudens double eagle were minted in 1933, none were ever officially circulated, and all but two were ordered to be melted down. However, 20 more are known to have been rescued from melting by being stolen and found their way into the hands of collectors before later being recovered. Eight of the recovered coins were destroyed, making this one of the world's rarest coins, with only 14 known specimens remaining - only one of which is privately owned, which is known as the Weitzman Specimen. Due to the fact that the coin was never released to the public, it is illegal to privately own any of the 1933 double eagles, with the exception of the Weitzman Specimen." Source: Wikipedia, although I think it should retain its earlier name of the King Farouk specimen.

I suspect the coin did not have an issue limit, so a lot of modern "collectors" would not have even wanted one in the first place.

The mintage of almost half a million would be a strong disincentive for anyone interested only in low mintage coins.

For the current owner, being the owner of the only "legal" copy of the coin in private hands might give great bragging rights. I suppose he is aware there are probably another dozen of them out there somewhere.

Would I like to own one? Yes, but it could cause more potential problems than it was worth.

It could be fun to display a photograph of it!

Is the 1933 a better coin than a 1932?

😎

Chards

1 hour ago, LawrenceChard said:

I suspect the coin did not have an issue limit, so a lot of modern "collectors" would not have even wanted one in the first place.

😎

This to me is the entire appeal of old coins.

Just because a coin had a high mintage or a low mintage, does not make it rare. Sure low mintage coins already have one foot through the door, but it is down to pure luck whether they survive or not.

I love the fact that coins were, for many centuries, simply a tool for trade and the collector market did not exist. Coins were like unloved bastard children. They either survived or they didn't.

Seeing a modern 2023 sovereign in PF70 is not remarkable - or maybe it is with regards to QC, but it should not be a remarkable feat.

Seeing a George I farthing in BU with red mint lustre is far more astounding. How did it avoid circulation? How did it keep its lustre? A combination of luck. It was stored somewhere not conducive to toning (for three centuries, over scores of owners). It also avoided being spent at a time when there was no major numismatic market.

Edited by SidS

On 19/02/2023 at 10:18, LawrenceChard said:

It looks like the OP @carrigher82 has done a "hit and run", which is a pity after a few TSF members tries to help.

His question was, like many, somewhat vague, but worse, he has not come back to clarify or refine his question, so will be missing out on possibly useful information and opinions.

Are we wasting out time trying to help?

One point I would have made in a fuller discussion would be does he appreciate the difference between "issue limit", which might be high, "mintage" which may be lower, or even "issued", which may be much lower still?

For example:

"The 1933 double eagle is a United States 20-dollar gold coin. Although 445,500 specimens of this Saint-Gaudens double eagle were minted in 1933, none were ever officially circulated, and all but two were ordered to be melted down. However, 20 more are known to have been rescued from melting by being stolen and found their way into the hands of collectors before later being recovered. Eight of the recovered coins were destroyed, making this one of the world's rarest coins, with only 14 known specimens remaining - only one of which is privately owned, which is known as the Weitzman Specimen. Due to the fact that the coin was never released to the public, it is illegal to privately own any of the 1933 double eagles, with the exception of the Weitzman Specimen." Source: Wikipedia, although I think it should retain its earlier name of the King Farouk specimen.

The mintage of almost half a million would be a strong disincentive for anyone interested only in low mintage coins.

For the current owner, being the owner of the only "legal" copy of the coin in private hands might give great bragging rights. I suppose he is aware there are probably another dozen of them out there somewhere.

Would I like to own one? Yes, but it could cause more potential problems than it was worth.

It could be fun to display a photograph of it!

Is the 1933 a better coin than a 1932?

😎

Please, I get enough grief from the wife. 

Edited by carrigher82