• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Photographing gold so that it looks like gold

10 hours ago, Charliemouse said:

You're not wrong.  Using a photographic white box would help, but that's not to some people's taste or budget.

A grey card, or even a white piece of paper just off the side of the shot, would accomplish the same thing, without changing the look of the shot.

Yes, true photographic grey cards are available at popular online retailers and photography shops for a few quid, and that would get you a very close to perfect white balance.

But as I said in the original post, all of this of well beyond the scope of the basic article.

Sure white boxes or light boxes are a well known way to get all around light on small objects.

It's main drawback is that it can produce very flat and featureless effects. As coins have only slighty raised designs, this does not work well. For objects with more pronounced 3D shapes, I believe it can be effective.

Using umbrella type diffusers and reflectors gives more control.

I understand your comments about "beyond the scope of the basic article". A problem with photography is that no single solution gives perfect results under all conditions. We often resort to a degree of trial and error, in order to achieve optimum results, and even then, there is almost always a trade-off between near perfection and time. Almost all of our photos are produced using some compromise.

None of this detracts from your very helpful guides to producing better coin photos. Keep it up!

😎

Chards

I've had good results using these https://www.amazon.co.uk/Anwenk-Balance-Exposure-Photography-Calibration/dp/B01DPV5PUA

The gist of it is that you take a photo of the grey card, lock both the exposure and the white balance level to whatever the camera decided it should be, and then use those settings to take a photo of the actual subject under the same lighting conditions. Anything dark will stay dark rather than being overexposed, anything bright will avoid getting underexposed, and anything that has colour in it will stay the right colour.

However, most of the phones I've ever used don't support exposure lock and custom white balance using their default camera apps, so you usually have to install a third party camera app to do this on a phone. Sometimes it's much more convenient to whip out your phone than a proper camera, though.

1 hour ago, paulmerton said:

I've had good results using these https://www.amazon.co.uk/Anwenk-Balance-Exposure-Photography-Calibration/dp/B01DPV5PUA

The gist of it is that you take a photo of the grey card, lock both the exposure and the white balance level to whatever the camera decided it should be, and then use those settings to take a photo of the actual subject under the same lighting conditions. Anything dark will stay dark rather than being overexposed, anything bright will avoid getting underexposed, and anything that has colour in it will stay the right colour.

However, most of the phones I've ever used don't support exposure lock and custom white balance using their default camera apps, so you usually have to install a third party camera app to do this on a phone. Sometimes it's much more convenient to whip out your phone than a proper camera, though.

Thanks.

I plan to do more posts soon, including more advanced techniques, such as deeper into the weeds of colour and light calibration.  Might be useful for the more professional / commercial / enthusiast members on here.  I will certainly include grey cards and similar tools, plus techniques for using them.

Most recent-generation phones allow you to take 'raw' images, for later processing.  These have not had any white balance changes applied, and rely on post-processing to achieve this.  This is obviously far less convenient, but generally produces much more satisfactory results.  I always strongly recommend taking raw images, because there are many benefits, white balance included.  Related, take a look at Open Camera.

Edited by Charliemouse

12 Beginner Tips for Better Coin Photos

Everything you need to take great coin photos

Douglas Hubbard: Never attribute to malice or stupidity that which can be explained by moderately rational individuals following incentives in a complex system of interactions.

Carl Sagan: One of the great commandments of science is, "Mistrust arguments from authority."

15 hours ago, Charliemouse said:

The 'gizmo' will definitely help to give you an even, diffuse light across the coin, emphasising the depth by providing some percentage of light from the top of the image.  Because it is dark grey when lit, I guess it might provide a better reference for the camera, if some of it is in the shot.  But it won't, in itself, help with white balance.

Your image does still have quite a lot of blue in it, even though the coin is still yellow.  Compare to this version, where I have reduced the blue channel.  The gold is definitely a deeper colour.

image.thumb.jpeg.5ca2aecf4b600ce85398d0e6588d0310.jpeg

what would you say is the better background colour for these photos? 

It does not matter how slowly you go so long as you do not stop.

34 minutes ago, Gordy said:

what would you say is the better background colour for these photos? 

That's subjective.  I tend to prefer a neutral, dark background.  Hard to go wrong with black, but to my eye, navy blue also works well with gold.  But I would also crop the photograph, so that the coin filled the picture, and very little of the background is visible.

To your eye, does the picture match the colour of the material, in person?  Which version is closer?  Colour matching is a whole other world.

As I hinted at in the original post, trying to apply as little correction as possible from the start, is always going to be the best option.  Once you have to apply a colour correction (which the camera will do automatically by default), it is equivalent to adding a filter to a lens, then adding another filter to correct for that, then adding another, etc.

Douglas Hubbard: Never attribute to malice or stupidity that which can be explained by moderately rational individuals following incentives in a complex system of interactions.

Carl Sagan: One of the great commandments of science is, "Mistrust arguments from authority."

Just now, Charliemouse said:

That's subjective.  I tend to prefer a neutral, dark background.  Hard to go wrong with black, but to my eye, navy blue also works well with gold.  But I would also crop the photograph, so that the coin filled the picture, and very little of the background is visible.

To your eye, does the picture match the colour of the material, in person?  Which version is closer?  Colour matching is a whole other world.

As I hinted at in the original post, trying to apply as little correction as possible from the start, is always going to be the best option.  Once you have to apply a colour correction (which the camera will do automatically by default), it is equivalent to adding a filter to a lens, then adding another filter to correct for that, then adding another, etc.

yours is better tbh, its a case of am i happy with it i guess, probably yes, unless i was going to put them on my walls 😂

It does not matter how slowly you go so long as you do not stop.

On 16/01/2023 at 15:20, Gordy said:

yours is better tbh, its a case of am i happy with it i guess, probably yes, unless i was going to put them on my walls 😂

Yours really were not far off - at least they looked gold.

However, what I suggest is not difficult.  Just have a go at changing the white balance setting, next time you take a photo.

On 15/01/2023 at 20:40, LawrenceChard said:

Try shooting with a white background!

😎

just photoshop it 

LFTV.  live from the vault.   Spot price is immaterial. its just an illusion.

• 4 months later...

Cookies & terms of service

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. By continuing to use this site you consent to the use of cookies and to our Privacy Policy & Terms of Use