• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Coin Light Rig for Mobile Phones

Hi all.

I've been playing with a smaller version of the axial lighting setup that we use for face on coin photography. This setup allows light to enter from the rear and reflect down onto the coin via the glass. The angle of the glass also cuts out any reflections of the phone being used.

The rig consists of the black stand and a piece of plain glass. You'll need a diffuse light source will work, i'm using a Neewer LED panel bit there are even cheaper versions available). Its simply a matter of placing your coin in the 'pot', laying the glass on top, and then taking a shot on your mobile generally at a minimum of 10cm which is the shortest focal distance for iphone and many others. The cup will take coins up to 40mm in diameter and is open at the base so that you can choose your own background or even backlight.  The rig in the picture is resin printed although i'm printing a few in PLA to keep costs down.

You'll possibly want some editing, such as a crop, and these test shots have been lightly processed in Lightroom, but it's a matter of taste. 

The rig (the black box) and glass will be available for £25.99 inc UK postage if there's any interest. (i'll upgrade my account to a business user if needed)

IMG_2256-Edit.jpg

IMG_2257-Edit.jpg

IMG_2255.jpg

602A7757-Edit.jpg

602A7754.jpg

602A7755.jpg

Edited by DrDave

18 minutes ago, DrDave said:

Hi all.

I've been playing with a smaller version of the axial lighting setup that we use for face on coin photography. This setup allows light to enter from the rear and reflect down onto the coin via the glass. The angle of the glass also cuts out any reflections of the phone being used.

The rig consists of the black stand and a piece of plain glass (any diffuse light source will work, i'm using a Neewer LED panel bit there are even cheaper versions available). Its simply a matter of placing your coin in the 'pot', laying the glass on top, and then taking a shot on your mobile generally at a minimum of 10cm which is the shortest focal distance for iphone and many others. The cup will take coins up to 40mm in diameter and is open at the base so that you can choose your own background or even backlight.  The rig in the picture is resin printed although i'm printing a few in PLA to keep costs down.

You'll possibly want some editing, such as a crop, and these test shots have been lightly processed in Lightroom, but it's a matter of taste. 

The rig (the black box) and glass will be available for £23.99 inc UK postage if there's any interest. (i'll upgrade my account to a business user if needed)

IMG_2256-Edit.jpg

IMG_2257-Edit.jpg

IMG_2255.jpg

602A7757-Edit.jpg

602A7754.jpg

602A7755.jpg

They should sell like hot cakes.

But it might put @SemolinaPilchard out of business.

Do you have any low / zero cost ways for amateurs to rotate and crop their phone photos, plus any other basic editing which might help people avoid the typical image of a tiny disc in the middle of a gigantic picture?

😎

Chards

2 minutes ago, LawrenceChard said:

Do you have any low / zero cost ways for amateurs to rotate and crop their phone photos, plus any other basic editing which might help people avoid the typical image of a tiny disc in the middle of a gigantic picture?

😎

Phone cameras include editing software, and lots will also shoot in RAW which is better for editing. You can either zoom when shooting or crop in editing. I'd think that the net end result will be the same quality-wise

Just now, Gordy said:

Go on then..... if I must, looks a great set-up for pics..... hats off matey..

with 1st signed for, just mesage me with total cost and payment details 

just noticed inc postage..... DOH!!!!

It does not matter how slowly you go so long as you do not stop.

34 minutes ago, DrDave said:

Phone cameras include editing software, and lots will also shoot in RAW which is better for editing. You can either zoom when shooting or crop in editing. I'd think that the net end result will be the same quality-wise

I thought most of that was the case, so...

How come about 90% of coin photos look like a pea in the middle of a football pitch shot from a satellite?

😎

Chards

1 hour ago, DrDave said:

The rig (the black box) and glass will be available for £23.99 inc UK postage if there's any interest. (i'll upgrade my account to a business user if needed)

1 hour ago, Gordy said:

just noticed inc postage..... DOH!!!!

Free Postage?!?!**

😎

Chards

3 hours ago, LawrenceChard said:

😎

There are several open-source imaging packages around like GIMP or Paint.Net or one of the various front ends to Imagemagick - plus online ones and probably a bunch of other options as well.  I can't remember what they all are off the top of my head, but a quick search on t'interwebs ought to show them up.

I'm using Adobe CS6 that I bought just before it went rental only.

The Sovereign is the quintessentially British coin.  It has a German queen on the front, an Italian waiter on the back, and half of them were made in Australia.

I'll take one too, @DrDave.  PM Incoming.

I got one of those little octopus tripods with the flexible legs and a bluetooth remote control dohickey for the phone for about £15 or so on Amazon.  The tripod is a bit c**p but it does the job with a bit of encouragement.  The bluetooth remote is a big win, though as you can take the picture without disturbing the camera.

On the minus side, I find that having to diddle the focus on the touch screen makes it a bit hit and miss, as the tripod wobbles a bit when you touch it.  A more robust stand would help greatly in this.

Edited by Silverlocks

The Sovereign is the quintessentially British coin.  It has a German queen on the front, an Italian waiter on the back, and half of them were made in Australia.

1 hour ago, Silverlocks said:

There are several open-source imaging packages around like GIMP or Paint.Net or one of the various front ends to Imagemagick - plus online ones and probably a bunch of other options as well.  I can't remember what they all are off the top of my head, but a quick search on t'interwebs ought to show them up.

I'm using Adobe CS6 that I bought just before it went rental only.

I know about GIMP. and tried it once. Nearly impossible.

For people who use their phones to take photos, it needs to be simple!

😎

Chards

You can use Windows Paint for cropping, but it doesn't give you any control over JPEG quality on the output, and doesn't have any facilites for adjusting curves.

Just an update on these.

Thank you to everybody for their orders and interest. I've made a small modification and was waiting on a part, but with the postal strike...........

But anyway, i've added a removable diffuser screen at the rear, which will help to make the lighting a little more even. On some LED panels you may have got light/dark banding, but this will be better now.

The first rigs are now complete and i'll begin to ship them over the weekend. 

I've created a new sales thread which we can use for feedback and additional orders:

I've attached some images of the completed rig and some sovereigns. These are unedited except for a square crop.

IMG_2267.jpg

IMG_2266.jpg

IMG_2271.jpeg

IMG_2272.jpg

IMG_2269.jpg

Edited by DrDave