• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Some New Notices in the Gazette

Just spotted these 

Gazette

1. Memorial Coin = ‘For the obverse impression Our effigy with the inscription “· CHARLES III · D · G · REX · F · D · 5 POUNDS ·” and the date of the year, and for the reverse a depiction of two portraits of Her Late Majesty Queen Elizabeth II accompanied by her Royal Cypher and the inscription “ELIZABETH REGINA 1926 - 2022”. The coin shall have a plain edge and in incuse letters the inscription “· ELIZABETH II · DEVOTED TO YOUR SERVICE”, save for the cupro-nickel coin which shall have a grained edge.’

2. Sov =  The design of the said five pound, two pound, sovereign, half-sovereign and quarter-sovereign gold coins shall be as follows:  ‘For the obverse impression Our effigy with the inscription “· CHARLES III · DEI · GRA · REX · FID · DEF ”, and for the reverse a depiction of Our Royal Arms and the date of the year. The coin shall have either a plain or grained edge.’

3. 50p = The design of the said fifty pence gold, standard silver, silver piedfort, platinum and cupro-nickel coins shall be as follows:  ‘For the obverse impression Our effigy with the inscription “· CHARLES III · D · G · REX · F · D · 50 PENCE”, and for the reverse the four Quarterings of Our Royal Arms each contained in a shield and arranged in saltire with, in the intervening spaces, a Rose, a Thistle, both slipped and leaved, a sprig of Shamrock and a Leek; in the centre the Crown and in the base the date of the year. The coin shall have a plain edge.’

4. 15kg Memorial = ‘For the obverse impression Our effigy with the inscription “· CHARLES III · D · G · REX · F · D · 15000 POUNDS·” and the date of the year, and for the reverse a portrait of Her Late Majesty Queen Elizabeth II accompanied by the inscription “· ELIZABETH REGINA 1926 – 2022 ·”. The coin shall have a plain edge.’

There are a few variations of the above in different notices, all seem to be backdates to the 14th Sept. 

Edited by Aidy

28 minutes ago, Aidy said:

Just spotted these 

Gazette

1. Memorial Coin = ‘For the obverse impression Our effigy with the inscription “· CHARLES III · D · G · REX · F · D · 5 POUNDS ·” and the date of the year, and for the reverse a depiction of two portraits of Her Late Majesty Queen Elizabeth II accompanied by her Royal Cypher and the inscription “ELIZABETH REGINA 1926 - 2022”. The coin shall have a plain edge and in incuse letters the inscription “· ELIZABETH II · DEVOTED TO YOUR SERVICE”, save for the cupro-nickel coin which shall have a grained edge.’

2. Sov =  The design of the said five pound, two pound, sovereign, half-sovereign and quarter-sovereign gold coins shall be as follows:  ‘For the obverse impression Our effigy with the inscription “· CHARLES III · DEI · GRA · REX · FID · DEF ”, and for the reverse a depiction of Our Royal Arms and the date of the year. The coin shall have either a plain or grained edge.’

3. 50p = The design of the said fifty pence gold, standard silver, silver piedfort, platinum and cupro-nickel coins shall be as follows:  ‘For the obverse impression Our effigy with the inscription “· CHARLES III · D · G · REX · F · D · 50 PENCE”, and for the reverse the four Quarterings of Our Royal Arms each contained in a shield and arranged in saltire with, in the intervening spaces, a Rose, a Thistle, both slipped and leaved, a sprig of Shamrock and a Leek; in the centre the Crown and in the base the date of the year. The coin shall have a plain edge.’

4. 15kg Memorial = ‘For the obverse impression Our effigy with the inscription “· CHARLES III · D · G · REX · F · D · 15000 POUNDS·” and the date of the year, and for the reverse a portrait of Her Late Majesty Queen Elizabeth II accompanied by the inscription “· ELIZABETH REGINA 1926 – 2022 ·”. The coin shall have a plain edge.’

There are a few variations of the above in different notices, all seem to be backdates to the 14th Sept. 

Thanks for posting this.

I have been looking out for new notices almost every day since 8th September.

I think @ChardsCoinandBullionDealer missed it also!

Chards

10 hours ago, Aidy said:

Just spotted these 

Gazette

The backdating is interesting. It somehow seems to indicate (to me anyway) that the RM was prepared and moved fast after HM’s death on many fronts - memorial coin range, KC III portrait, etc.

It’ll be interesting to know what actually happened.

57 minutes ago, westminstrel said:

The backdating is interesting. It somehow seems to indicate (to me anyway) that the RM was prepared and moved fast after HM’s death on many fronts - memorial coin range, KC III portrait, etc.

It’ll be interesting to know what actually happened.

I imagine that this has been in the planning for some time.

On 07/10/2022 at 17:19, LawrenceChard said:
On 07/10/2022 at 16:41, GoldStatue said:

15kg memorial coin, is that correct?

If it says so.

Instructions for use:

1) Drop on someone's head.

2) Hold a memorial service for them.

Apparently there was a private commission 15kg piece for the jubilee, I wonder if this memorial piece is along the same lines? Unlikely to be a high mintage 🤣

https://www.thenationalnews.com/world/uk-news/2022/05/24/royal-mint-reveals-its-largest-coin-for-queens-platinum-jubilee/

1 hour ago, Arganto said:

Apparently there was a private commission 15kg piece for the jubilee, I wonder if this memorial piece is along the same lines? Unlikely to be a high mintage 🤣

https://www.thenationalnews.com/world/uk-news/2022/05/24/royal-mint-reveals-its-largest-coin-for-queens-platinum-jubilee/

Apparently, yes.

This paragraph is highly questionable:

"It took It took coin artist John Bergdahl almost 400 hours to make the £15,000 ($18,798) coin. almost 400 hours to make the £15,000 ($18,798) coin."

I think we can all be certain that John Bergdahl did not make this coin.

I certainly doubt that a 15 kilo gold coin was priced at £15,000.

The journalist, Soraya Ebrahimi, also states

"A private UK collector commissioned the unique 15-kilogram, 22-centimetre diameter coin for an undisclosed sum."

So where did she get the £15K price from? Was this from a different size and weight of the same design, or was it for a silver version?

Whatever the facts, she has managed to mangle them in such an inventive way that it would be difficult to reconstruct  the truth from her story. There is nothing very unusual about this, as most journalists seem to invent or distort facts when writing about things they don't know about. It is very likely that they are provided with a ready written press release and fact sheet, but decide that they need to re-write it to justify their salary or fee, and perhaps because they think their version sounds better.

😎

Chards

I am in the london gazette under the honours and awards section....

if you can find me in there you win 1 oz of silver 

Happy hunting!

Central bankers are politicians disguised as economists or bankers. They’re either incompetent or liars. So, either way, you’re never going to get a valid answer.” - Peter Schiff

Sound money is not a guarantee of a free society, but a free society is impossible without sound money. We are currently a society enslaved by debt.

If you are a new member and want to know why we stack PMs look at this link https://www.thesilverforum.com/topic/56131-videos-of-significance/#comment-381454

14 minutes ago, LawrenceChard said:

The author is probably referring to the face value of the coin.

You can just about see this in the video around the 00:30 mark.

Here’s a better image:

A23A4A21-56BF-4102-B346-E41C2F68C90E.jpeg.5c4ed3589ac96d36eeac5f402336d655.jpeg

I agree it is pretty confusing to loosely state this, as it comes across that one could’ve purchased that coin for £15,000.

7 minutes ago, westminstrel said:

Here’s a better image:

A23A4A21-56BF-4102-B346-E41C2F68C90E.jpeg.5c4ed3589ac96d36eeac5f402336d655.jpeg

I agree it is pretty confusing to loosely state this, as it comes across that one could’ve purchased that coin for £15,000.

Very confusing!

Poor writing, but typical journalism!

😎

Chards

2 minutes ago, paulmerton said:

I am reminded of...

This was written years ago and its still the same

https://www.penguin.co.uk/books/358814/lions-donkeys-and-dinosaurs-by-lewis-page/9780099484424 

Central bankers are politicians disguised as economists or bankers. They’re either incompetent or liars. So, either way, you’re never going to get a valid answer.” - Peter Schiff

Sound money is not a guarantee of a free society, but a free society is impossible without sound money. We are currently a society enslaved by debt.

If you are a new member and want to know why we stack PMs look at this link https://www.thesilverforum.com/topic/56131-videos-of-significance/#comment-381454

1 hour ago, HerefordBullyun said:

I am in the london gazette under the honours and awards section....

if you can find me in there you win 1 oz of silver 

Happy hunting!

You are Mary Berry!

I knew I'd seen that hair somewhere before 😉

I'd guess Major Brendon METHERELL just because when I put it in google it tried to add Hereford on the end.

Just now, Essendie said:

You are Mary Berry!

I knew I'd seen that hair somewhere before 😉

I'd guess Major Brendon METHERELL just because when I put it in google it tried to add Hereford on the end.

Well close but no cigar..... If I was Mary berry my pseudonym military title would be Major Eyeswater... 

50 minutes ago, HerefordBullyun said:

Lewis Page's articles in The Register used to be quite entertaining.  In the Royal Navy's defence, I think they might be getting more than one gun for their £189m.  Still, I think it beats the Zumwalt class's 155mm gun where they were supposed to be able to piggyback off land forces production but still couldn't afford the ammo so the ship has guns but nothing to fire from them.

Or the Germans where they had 50-odd mothballed GEPARD SPAAGs that they couldn't send to Ukraine because they had no ammunition for them.  Apparently there's some outfit in Norway that can still make it so they might still arrive - but probably too late for the war if things keep going at this rate.

Or even better, the M777 howitzers which everybody loves (and apparently now want to back order about 500 of them) but they've stopped production and can't make any more because they can't source titanium for the parts.  I have no idea whether they were getting the titanium from Russia.

The Sovereign is the quintessentially British coin.  It has a German queen on the front, an Italian waiter on the back, and half of them were made in Australia.

2 hours ago, Silverlocks said:

Lewis Page's articles in The Register used to be quite entertaining.  In the Royal Navy's defence, I think they might be getting more than one gun for their £189m.  Still, I think it beats the Zumwalt class's 155mm gun where they were supposed to be able to piggyback off land forces production but still couldn't afford the ammo so the ship has guns but nothing to fire from them.

Or the Germans where they had 50-odd mothballed GEPARD SPAAGs that they couldn't send to Ukraine because they had no ammunition for them.  Apparently there's some outfit in Norway that can still make it so they might still arrive - but probably too late for the war if things keep going at this rate.

Or even better, the M777 howitzers which everybody loves (and apparently now want to back order about 500 of them) but they've stopped production and can't make any more because they can't source titanium for the parts.  I have no idea whether they were getting the titanium from Russia.

I think it may have meant a 5" diameter barrel, but I can't imagine it would be the length of a toothbrush.

And, yes it was probably more than one example.

😎

Chards

11 minutes ago, LawrenceChard said:

I think it may have meant a 5" diameter barrel, but I can't imagine it would be the length of a toothbrush.

And, yes it was probably more than one example.

😎

I remember when the article came out. It literally said the gun was only 5 inches long in the body text too 🤣

4 minutes ago, paulmerton said:

I remember when the article came out. It literally said the gun was only 5 inches long in the body text too 🤣

If my article came out, and it was only 5 inches long in the body, I would definitely not write about it for a magazine or newspaper.

But seriously, that is one of the worst examples I have heard about journalism.

😎

Chards

4 hours ago, LawrenceChard said:

Apparently, yes.

This paragraph is highly questionable:

"It took It took coin artist John Bergdahl almost 400 hours to make the £15,000 ($18,798) coin. almost 400 hours to make the £15,000 ($18,798) coin."

I think we can all be certain that John Bergdahl did not make this coin.

The journalist, Soraya Ebrahimi, also states

"A private UK collector commissioned the unique 15-kilogram, 22-centimetre diameter coin for an undisclosed sum."

So where did she get the £15K price from? Was this from a different size and weight of the same design, or was it for a silver version?

Whatever the facts, she has managed to mangle them in such an inventive way that it would be difficult to reconstruct  the truth from her story. There is nothing very unusual about this, as most journalists seem to invent or distort facts when writing about things they don't know about. It is very likely that they are provided with a ready written press release and fact sheet, but decide that they need to re-write it to justify their salary or fee, and perhaps because they think their version sounds better.

😎

4 hours ago, westminstrel said:

Here’s a better image:

4 hours ago, LawrenceChard said:

Very confusing!

Poor writing, but typical journalism!

😎

I think what made it so bad was quoting a US Dollar equivalent ($18,798), which must have been aimed at thick Americans, but actually only serves to confuse.

It could be interesting to have a coin with a face value of $18,798!

Much better than the jokingly proposed 99 pence coin, for goods priced at £0.99 or £1.99, etc.

😎

Chards

6 minutes ago, LawrenceChard said:

If my article came out, and it was only 5 inches long in the body, I would definitely not write about it for a magazine or newspaper.

But seriously, that is one of the worst examples I have heard about journalism.

😎

Well, if you keep skiing in your underwear there's a considerable risk of your article coming out, and I'm sure nobody wants to see that.

The Sovereign is the quintessentially British coin.  It has a German queen on the front, an Italian waiter on the back, and half of them were made in Australia.