• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

How much Silver should we include in our portfolio?

Silvistone

I am a member of UK independent wealth and I have read some of there stuff about what to invest. And non of it mentions silver, they just talk about gold and stocks and shares

Should part of our portfolios be made up with silver and how much do you think?

Is the silver market simuler to base metal prices?

Why has gold out performed silver over recent years?

Thnaks

What I have learned over many years of investing is there is no simple formula and absolutely no guarantees of growth or wealth preservation regardless of who you ask, what you read or which financial adviser you pay fees to for advice. None of them are time travellers or have crystal balls and for every great investment there could very well be a poor investment.
I've seen them all.

So - what can I suggest ?

All depends on your age, your assets, guaranteed income, your debts ( if any ), job security ( if still working ) and finally risk of loss.

Personally if you have money to invest the priorities are pension contributions, growth and income equity funds, 12 months of expenses retained in cash, then and only then consider PMs. Gold is bought and sold on small margins so if you have say £20k to invest buy £15k of gold. Silver is seen as having more upside potential but to recover your costs you will need to sell privately because of the VAT. Buy £5k of silver bullion coins wherever you see the best deals - usually on this site.

If you have a serious amount of money to invest then maybe buy a property to hold ( holiday home ) or rent.

There is no right or wrong answer to that as it's going to depend on your own portfolio, expectations, investment style, wealth, age etc.

Personally I like 10% silver, 10% gold. I see that as great insurance without limiting other opportunities. Both silver and gold while they are precious metals have very different advantages/disadvantages so I think they complement each other.

I think it's risky to go all in on any asset so i like to limit all of my investments.

4 hours ago, Silvistone said:

I am a member of UK independent wealth and I have read some of there stuff about what to invest. And non of it mentions silver, they just talk about gold and stocks and shares

Should part of our portfolios be made up with silver and how much do you think?

Is the silver market simuler to base metal prices?

Why has gold out performed silver over recent years?

Thnaks

I was going to ask did you mean "UK Independent Wealth", followed by WTF are they, but I see:

"https://www.southbankresearch.com/uk-independent-wealth/

I do remember that Nigel Farage was happy to receive one of my election leaflets.

He is a very persuasive speaker, which does not necessarily mean I would read or take notice of any of his investment advice.

You should probably read this:

https://www.chards.co.uk/blog/advice-guide-for-uk-bullion-investors/1041

There are other info pages on the same site which may answer many of your questions.

😎

Chards

7 hours ago, Pete said:

What I have learned over many years of investing is there is no simple formula and absolutely no guarantees of growth or wealth preservation regardless of who you ask, what you read or which financial adviser you pay fees to for advice. None of them are time travellers or have crystal balls and for every great investment there could very well be a poor investment.
I've seen them all.

So - what can I suggest ?

All depends on your age, your assets, guaranteed income, your debts ( if any ), job security ( if still working ) and finally risk of loss.

Personally if you have money to invest the priorities are pension contributions, growth and income equity funds, 12 months of expenses retained in cash, then and only then consider PMs. Gold is bought and sold on small margins so if you have say £20k to invest buy £15k of gold. Silver is seen as having more upside potential but to recover your costs you will need to sell privately because of the VAT. Buy £5k of silver bullion coins wherever you see the best deals - usually on this site.

If you have a serious amount of money to invest then maybe buy a property to hold ( holiday home ) or rent.

Actually I have a Halifax share dealing account like an ETF where I can buy shares in wisdomtree physical gold and silver

I am just looking for a holding point to save some money so it is not eaten up by inflation for when the business opportunity comes up I will want the funds to invest, could be tomorrow could be never! But they say dont put all your eggs in one basket so this is why im looking at diversifying my port folio

At the UK independent wealth and fortune and freedom they advice not to invest in property any more

6 hours ago, cravethatcoin said:

There is no right or wrong answer to that as it's going to depend on your own portfolio, expectations, investment style, wealth, age etc.

Personally I like 10% silver, 10% gold. I see that as great insurance without limiting other opportunities. Both silver and gold while they are precious metals have very different advantages/disadvantages so I think they complement each other.

I think it's risky to go all in on any asset so i like to limit all of my investments.

Can I ask you (if you dont mind) what ells do you make up the rest (80%) of you portfolio?

3 hours ago, LawrenceChard said:

I was going to ask did you mean "UK Independent Wealth", followed by WTF are they, but I see:

"https://www.southbankresearch.com/uk-independent-wealth/

I do remember that Nigel Farage was happy to receive one of my election leaflets.

He is a very persuasive speaker, which does not necessarily mean I would read or take notice of any of his investment advice.

You should probably read this:

https://www.chards.co.uk/blog/advice-guide-for-uk-bullion-investors/1041

There are other info pages on the same site which may answer many of your questions.

😎

Yes it is indeed south bank, the reason I took notice of him is because I saw one of his adverts for fortune and freedom where he talked about people lifes saving being demolished to hyper inflation and if you know the global agenda then you know that what happened in Germany post WW1 is the agenda for the one world currency. He would appear to be a man that dose not believe a word the establishment are saying! ow the resesion might not even happen and if it dose it will be a very little one (more lies then the last lie!). And the bit coin man Sam Volcher stated in one of his pod casts "we probably are in a resesion already but when we go deeper into it they will probably just call it something ells" So seams to be quite awake in the financial sense. I know I dont have a lot of knowledge hear but I would sure rather listen to South Bank research then the wokest agendas of the goody little two shoes morons on the money saving expert forum

What was you election campaign for?

Holding 20% of your total assets in PMs might be construed by some ( generally us old farts with experience and battle scars ) as somewhat adventurous. If you own your property without a mortgage and have a decent pension pot then 20% is okay. I wish I had bought US dollars a few months ago.

14 hours ago, cravethatcoin said:

Stocks, property, crypto. I'm 60% property

Fortune and freedom are tell us that the property market has reached its limit and now a bad invetment

Do you think any companies that float stocks on the market will do well out of this resestion?

Well OP, it seems as if you have made your own mind up about the new world order, so why not just go and make some decisions based on that, rather than asking the forum a load of generic questions.

People on here are really helpful, but in my opinion you aren't really listening, just firing off random questions and quoting sources which are probably a little narrowly-focused, putting it mildly.

Enjoy your silver/gold/other PM journey.

7 hours ago, Silvistone said:

Fortune and freedom are tell us that the property market has reached its limit and now a bad invetment

Do you think any companies that float stocks on the market will do well out of this resestion?

People have been saying the same for the last 30 years, it's never been true. If you believe it's better to go all in on metals that's a huge mistake.

I am not a property investor, I count my house equity as part of my net worth which is where I got the 60%. I tend to agree that those who have BTL with high leverage are going to be in for a huge shock. However in my case the house I purchased has been the best financial decision I've made. I have a £500/month mortgage, the price to rent the same house next door is now £1250/month, it was around £850/month pre covid. While a house is not technically a asset I count is as one in my case as I have a much cheaper living cost and I'm building up equity. I don't make a return like an asset but I make a substantial saving vs renting the same house.

Yes I believe the majority of business will proper as they always have. Those that fail will be replaced by new businesses, some of the best businesses were created during recessions.

The question is if you believe it's going to be a disaster for businesses then surely silver is going to see a huge decrease in demand? Not to mention both metals prices are manipulated anyway. Now I've reached my insurance goal of metals I'd rather hold the rest of my wealth in stocks (indexes) and work to pay off my mortgage.

so basically

we have too much

we have too little

buy coins not bars

buy bars not coins

its about to crash

its about to soar

its about to be confiscated

it kills vampires or is that werewolves or zombies?

its too cheap

its too expensive

Anyone tried killing covid with it?

missed anything?

Edited by bluffer

3 minutes ago, bluffer said:

so basically

we have too much

we have too little

buy coins not bars

buy bars not coins

its about to crash

its about to soar

its about to be confiscated

it kills vampires or is that werewolves or zombies?

its too cheap

its too expensive

Anyone tried killing covid with it?

missed anything?

Come on man!! How many in a bloody tube?

I like to buy the pre-dip dip