• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Fake trade dollar from eBay

Mrpound

I was pretty sure it was a fake but as I managed to get it for £30 but thought I would roll the dice.

I’ve contacted the seller and will be updating this thread as the saga continues 🤣.

And see how eBay handles itself.

not 90% silver pre 1900

weighs 25.73g instead of 27.22g

diameter is 37.9mm instead of 38.1mm Which is pretty damm close.

C244D8F1-52DD-4F4D-BF45-E11BCC3C63C3.jpeg

B43CE7E0-B6B0-440C-95D4-D7E03DB16652.jpeg

3C7134F0-B100-4F38-BD5E-CAD3D434204D.jpeg

15746340-3046-41EC-8184-A61DE03CFB26.jpeg

ED1F83D6-4D5A-4508-94C9-5B6C65FA3315.jpeg

63EA52D7-3776-4BF0-B99B-894E12C1603C.jpeg

5 hours ago, Mrpound said:

I was pretty sure it was a fake but as I managed to get it for £30 but thought I would roll the dice.

I’ve contacted the seller and will be updating this thread as the saga continues 🤣.

not 90% silver pre 1900

I always believe it is worth including a link to the listing, for a few reasons, and also naming the seller.

Others might glean more information on the listing itself.

It identifies the seller, which can provide further information in itself.

If the same seller gets mentioned in numerous posts or other forums, it paints a clearer overall picture.

It makes it easier for others to monitor further items from the same seller.

It helps all the good guys in the community.

😎

Chards

55 minutes ago, LawrenceChard said:

I always believe it is worth including a link to the listing, for a few reasons, and also naming the seller.

Others might glean more information on the listing itself.

It identifies the seller, which can provide further information in itself.

If the same seller gets mentioned in numerous posts or other forums, it paints a clearer overall picture.

It makes it easier for others to monitor further items from the same seller.

It helps all the good guys in the community.

😎

Yeah that’s a good idea, I probably didn’t add it originally as unfortunately were all used to seeing fakes on eBay it’s become the norm, Even though it shouldn’t be.

It was a roll of the dice purchase where I was 50/50 on its Authentication anyway 🤣

But you are correct as always should be named and shamed for others to be aware.

As I’ve just noticed he has seated liberty dollar which is obviously a fake now.

For an update I haven’t had any reply from the seller and I sent a message over 7hrs ago.

Here is the link to the original listing when it’s too good to be true it is 👍

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/234686157007?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=dqXJC3kTRwC&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=Fds2QRZsTKm&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

On 07/09/2022 at 19:01, Mrpound said:

Yeah that’s a good idea, I probably didn’t add it originally as unfortunately were all used to seeing fakes on eBay it’s become the norm, Even though it shouldn’t be.

It was a roll of the dice purchase where I was 50/50 on its Authentication anyway 🤣

But you are correct as always should be named and shamed for others to be aware.

As I’ve just noticed he has seated liberty dollar which is obviously a fake now.

For an update I haven’t had any reply from the seller and I sent a message over 7hrs ago.

Here is the link to the original listing when it’s too good to be true it is 👍

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/234686157007?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=dqXJC3kTRwC&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=Fds2QRZsTKm&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

Looks a bit like this:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005002482643330.html?

How about the 1844:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005003333204652.html?

Compare it with:

1844 Seated Liberty Dollar Value
According to the NGC Price Guide, as of September 2022, a Seated Liberty Dollar from 1844 in circulated condition is worth between $365 and $3250. However, on the open market 1844 Silver Dollars in pristine, uncirculated condition sell for as much as $95000.
Mint: Philadelphia
Obverse Designer: Christian Gobrecht
Mintage: 20,000
Melt Value: $14.03 (9/3/2022)
Edited by LawrenceChard

Chards

1 minute ago, LawrenceChard said:

Looks a bit like this:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005002482643330.html?

Hw about the 1844:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005003333204652.html?

Compare it with:

1844 Seated Liberty Dollar Value
According to the NGC Price Guide, as of September 2022, a Seated Liberty Dollar from 1844 in circulated condition is worth between $365 and $3250. However, on the open market 1844 Silver Dollars in pristine, uncirculated condition sell for as much as $95000.
Mint: Philadelphia
Obverse Designer: Christian Gobrecht
Mintage: 20,000
Melt Value: $14.03 (9/3/2022)

I’ll take melt value 😜

On 07/09/2022 at 11:56, Mrpound said:

not 90% silver pre 1900

This ebay seller is offering loads of fake coins, many of them are

Extremely Rare

😎

Chards

On 10/09/2022 at 19:22, dicker said:

Trade dollars are sadlt counterfeited and sold.  I reported one for sale (very highly suspect from my perspective) on this forum as fake but it remained for sale and sold.

Be care very careful.

That isn’t good, just have to stay vigilant I guess 👀 

On 10/09/2022 at 20:22, dicker said:

Trade dollars are sadlt counterfeited and sold.  I reported one for sale (very highly suspect from my perspective) on this forum as fake but it remained for sale and sold.

Be care very careful.

If i saw a coin i was very highly suspicious was fake i would say - i would post that. That might cause a ruckus but i would post.
There is a forum rule that members do not make comments on other members' selling threads. As i remember the rule appeared when some members were for example critical about the selling price posted. @ChrisSilver rightly ruled that the price was up to the seller and if you thought it is too much you just pass that coin over. However a 'very highly suspect' fake is something else. What if some of our forum experts were to see a coin they were very highly suspicious of? Is it not a forum duty to say something? Granted you reported your suspicions and i do not know all the details of this case but i for one would want to know if a reputable member such as yourself was very highly suspicious. 

Edited by sixgun

Always cast your vote - Spoil your ballot slip. Put 'Spoilt Ballot - I do not consent.' These votes are counted. If you do not do this you are consenting to the tyranny. None of them are fit for purpose. 
A tyranny relies on propaganda and force. Once the propaganda fails all that's left is force.

COVID-19 is a cover story for the collapsing economy. Green Energy isn't Green and it isn't Renewable.

Thanks @sixgun

I have seen a couple of coins that I had significant concerns about.

(1) A Sov - I approached the seller to suggest it might not be genuine.  He removed and didn’t re-list it, and I believe went to a dealer to check if it was genuine.

(2) A trade dollar that I didn’t believe was genuine.  I suggested this to the seller and it was not well received.  I flagged to the admins but it stayed listed and sold.

I think in hindsight, I should probably have flagged it up as a separate post - point taken @sixgun

Not my circus, not my monkeys

4 hours ago, Mrpound said:

The listing reads Authenticity unknown, non magnetic hence sold as seen

Seems like he is playing dumb !  .......and he still has 100% positive feedback !

2 hours ago, Happypanda88 said:

Seems like he is playing dumb !  .......and he still has 100% positive feedback !

That was the problem with getting a refund it wouldn’t let me leave negative feedback

2 hours ago, Mrpound said:

That was the problem with getting a refund it wouldn’t let me leave negative feedback

I assume that when leaving feedback the written part must have something that checks it for certain words to stop genuine people getting slagged off. You have to be a bit of a wordsmith to leave something that is more truthful and will get poste.

3 hours ago, Petra said:

I assume that when leaving feedback the written part must have something that checks it for certain words to stop genuine people getting slagged off. You have to be a bit of a wordsmith to leave something that is more truthful and will get poste.

If you’ve been refunded, it won’t give you the option to leave feedback, it’s c**p, in eBay’s eyes the transaction never happened

Edited by Mrpound

14 hours ago, Mrpound said:

14 hours ago, Dakaras said:

Reported 

9 hours ago, Happypanda88 said:

7 hours ago, Mrpound said:

4 hours ago, Petra said:

1 hour ago, Mrpound said:

If you’ve been refunded, it won’t give you the option to leave feedback, it’s c**p, in eBay’s eyes the transaction never happened

I was going to add "Authenticity unknown"!, but was beaten to it.

This also helps to explain how and why many of the ebay scammers, crooks, cheats, and fraudsters manage to retain 100% Positive Feedback.

I used to think they negotiated with the buyer that the refund would be conditional, or that buyers were reluctant to leave negative feedback in case the seller turned even nastier, and refused to make the refund.

Now we know it is ebay collusion* or policy, and my strong presumption is that it is deliberate.

* Possibly implicit, because ebay may just leave this as an "open door" for scammers, rather than make an actual formal agreement (which would be unlikely).

😎

Chards