• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Silver Detected in a Yellow 2022 Royal Mint Gold Quintuple Sovereign - Herald of Change or Simple Blip?

LawrenceChard

2 hours ago, Mtaybar said:

I don't know how they make or apply the matte finish but could it just be a component of that... Does a sotd sovereign have the same reading as the quintuple as it has the same finish? 

The matt finish is not applied to the coin.

It is applied to the dies from which the coin is struck. Sandblasting is the most likely method.

Additionally, the blanks or planchets would not be polished before striking, they may even be roughed up a little first, although this would probably not make much difference.

2022 bullion sovereigns do not have a matt finish.

The colour difference is almost certainly wholly or mainly because of the slight silver content.

😎

Chards

21 hours ago, LawrenceChard said:

Silver Detected in a Yellow 2022 Royal Mint Gold Quintuple Sovereign - Herald of Change or Simple Blip?

For those who care about the colour of gold sovereigns, this might just be important news and a portent of imminent changes for the better, or it could just be a random one-off occurrence.

For those who don't know, most recent sovereigns, and the extended sovereign family, have been an awful coppery-red colour for about the past 20 years. Traditionally, they were a pleasant yellow colour, similar to real, pure gold. This is because sovereigns used to contain a small proportion of silver, which made a big difference to their colour.

If you look of the recent 2022 Gold Briilant Uncirculated Quintuple £5 Sovereign, or photos of it, they look yellow not red / pink / rose.

2022MattGoldBUQuintupleSovereignElizabethII5PoundSterlingCoinSingleUnitedKingdomTheRoyalMintreversecrop.thumb.jpg.29905bf0a2fda699faba8770d64467a0.jpg

Surprisingly yellow.

2022MattGoldBUQuintupleSovereignElizabethII5PoundSterlingCoinSingleUnitedKingdomTheRoyalMintobversecrop.thumb.jpg.9b62a621dca69ee1ade838e4bd9278a0.jpg

Niton test result (wrongly titled):

1554050399_2022DoubleSovMattBUNitonTest.thumb.jpg.e3e4d93cc3765dddce65946b228dd67f.jpg

I have already posted this in my earlier topic / thread here:

But I thought this unexpected development was potentially too important to appear as an afterthought.

The observant will notice that I have titles the Niton sheet as 2022 Double Sovereign, but I must have been in too much of a hurry, as often.

It should be headed 2022 Quintuple Sovereign (No beers for spotting this too late).

Obverse:

Gold 918 +- 3

Copper 81 +-1

Silver 1 +-0

Reverse:

Gold 918 +- 3

Copper 82 +-1

Silver 0 +-0

I was pleasantly surprised by the obverse reading, but then slightly suprised by the initial reverse reading of 0.

When I pressed the "details" button, I got further information:

Silver 000.5 +- 00003

This was more or less as I expected.

Both silver readings were probably slightly under 1 ppt, but the obverse must have been enough for it to get rounded up to 1 ppt, while the reverse got rounded down to 0 ppt.

Nevertheless, this is a very interesting result.

I was partly joking when I suggested the RM might have sneaked some silver into the alloy, perhaps as a consumer or other test. I may just have hit the proverbial nail on the head.

Although the matt finish may have helped the apparent colour, it is beyond doubt that the tiny silver content has improved the colour.

Will we ever know?

Watch this space!

I have yet to test one of the 2022 Gold Proof Piedfort Sovereigns, but will do so in the next few days, and add the results, but they also look quite yellow.

There is hope!

Fascinating. What are the usual readings for the “rose gold” sovereigns of the past few years?

Edited by westminstrel

3 hours ago, paulmerton said:

Nope, lasers.

Tha last time i put a matt finish on metal, I used a small sandblaster. It is cheap, quick, easy, and very effective.

Lasers might work, but would probably cost more, take longer, produce an inferior effect, and be more difficult to control.

😎

Chards

3 hours ago, westminstrel said:

Fascinating. What are the usual readings for the “rose gold” sovereigns of the past few years?

I was going to point you to a page with a test result for a 2022 bullion sovereign, but can't find one quickly on TSF.

This page, which I think you have seen before gives 2 recent examples:

https://www.chards.co.uk/blog/analysis-of-alloy-content-of-gold-sovereigns/180

2014 R.M. U.K. Sovereign QEII Rank-Broadley 918 82 0 0 0 0
2021 R.M. U.K. Sovereign Latest 916 84 0 0 0 0

The important point: 0 silver!

😎

Chards

11 minutes ago, LawrenceChard said:

cheap, quick, easy, and very effective.

Think I used to date her if I'm honest, sounds familiar.

5 minutes ago, LawrenceChard said:

Stop it! I'm getting more and more excited that RM may have seen the light and this was a deliberate addition! 🤞

3 hours ago, paulmerton said:

Nope, lasers.

I would have guessed sand blasting but this post is rather assertive, maybe paulmerton knows and isn't guessing?

"It might make sense just to get some in case it catches on"  - Satoshi Nakamoto 2009

"Its going to Zero" - Peter Schiff 2013

"$1,000,000,000 by 2050"  - Fidelity 2024

12 minutes ago, LawrenceChard said:

Tha last time i put a matt finish on metal, I used a small sandblaster. It is cheap, quick, easy, and very effective.

Lasers might work, but would probably cost more, take longer, produce an inferior effect, and be more difficult to control.

😎

Nearly all commemorative dies are entirely cut by a laser these days, and the lasered surface inherently has a matt effect unless it is polished. I don't think any sandblasting would be required. 

10 minutes ago, paulmerton said:

Nearly all commemorative dies are entirely cut by a laser these days, and the lasered surface inherently has a matt effect unless it is polished. I don't think any sandblasting would be required. 

I don't know but wouldn't it be an imperfect matt finish if inherent to laser cutting?

"It might make sense just to get some in case it catches on"  - Satoshi Nakamoto 2009

"Its going to Zero" - Peter Schiff 2013

"$1,000,000,000 by 2050"  - Fidelity 2024

19 minutes ago, paulmerton said:

They may be cut by laser. but I would bet that sandblsting gives a much better matt finish.

😎

Chards

8 hours ago, LawrenceChard said:

I was going to point you to a page with a test result for a 2022 bullion sovereign, but can't find one quickly on TSF.

This page, which I think you have seen before gives 2 recent examples:

https://www.chards.co.uk/blog/analysis-of-alloy-content-of-gold-sovereigns/180

2014 R.M. U.K. Sovereign QEII Rank-Broadley 918 82 0 0 0 0
2021 R.M. U.K. Sovereign Latest 916 84 0 0 0 0

😎

Ah that’s what I wanted to know. So they had only copper and no silver.

You’ve made a cool discovery with this I think. 🙂

If I were in the RM marketing team, I’d have definitely pointed out the return to original yellow gold. 😉

On 05/09/2022 at 18:12, LawrenceChard said:

😎

My brain, which is full of nonsense (qualifying me to run (ruin?) the country!) thinks sand blasting would make a horrible rough surface.

My trusty mechanic recently educated me that sand blasting engine cam covers is a very very not good idea. I now have a very nice looking engine as it has been vapour blasted. Much more gentle.

3 hours ago, MonkeysUncle said:

My brain, which is full of nonsense (qualifying me to run (ruin?) the country!) thinks sand blasting would make a horrible rough surface.

My trusty mechanic recently educated me that sand blasting engine cam covers is a very very not good idea. I now have a very nice looking engine as it has been vapour blasted. Much more gentle.

There are different types of sand, and different grain sizes. In any case "sandblasting" shsould probably be treated as generic rather than speciific, when referring to the meium used. It is likely that sand was the original medium when the process was first invented back in 1870.

Sandblasting, sometimes known as abrasive blasting, is the operation of forcibly propelling a stream of abrasive material against a surface under high pressure to smooth a rough surface, roughen a smooth surface, shape a surface or remove surface contaminants. A pressurised fluid, typically compressed air, or a centrifugal wheel is used to propel the blasting material (often called the media). The first abrasive blasting process was patented by Benjamin Chew Tilghman on 18 October 1870.

There are several variants of the process, using various media; some are highly abrasive, whereas others are milder. The most abrasive are shot blasting (with metal shot) and sandblasting (with sand). Moderately abrasive variants include glass bead blasting (with glass beads) and plastic media blasting (PMB) with ground-up plastic stock or walnut shells and corncobs. Some of these substances can cause anaphylactic shock to individuals allergic to the media.[3] A mild version is sodablasting (with baking soda). In addition, there are alternatives that are barely abrasive or nonabrasive, such as ice blasting and dry-ice blasting.

😎

Chards

3 hours ago, LawrenceChard said:

There are different types of sand, and different grain sizes. In any case "sandblasting" shsould probably be treated as generic rather than speciific, when referring to the meium used. It is likely that sand was the original medium when the process was first invented back in 1870.

Sandblasting, sometimes known as abrasive blasting, is the operation of forcibly propelling a stream of abrasive material against a surface under high pressure to smooth a rough surface, roughen a smooth surface, shape a surface or remove surface contaminants. A pressurised fluid, typically compressed air, or a centrifugal wheel is used to propel the blasting material (often called the media). The first abrasive blasting process was patented by Benjamin Chew Tilghman on 18 October 1870.

There are several variants of the process, using various media; some are highly abrasive, whereas others are milder. The most abrasive are shot blasting (with metal shot) and sandblasting (with sand). Moderately abrasive variants include glass bead blasting (with glass beads) and plastic media blasting (PMB) with ground-up plastic stock or walnut shells and corncobs. Some of these substances can cause anaphylactic shock to individuals allergic to the media.[3] A mild version is sodablasting (with baking soda). In addition, there are alternatives that are barely abrasive or nonabrasive, such as ice blasting and dry-ice blasting.

😎

I am a stone mason by trade, we use shot blasting for our lettering and design work, and a less abrasive fine sand to create a matt finish on polished granite. Therefore logic would dictate that if you were to lower the abrasive properties of the blasting media enough it would also work on a coin. In my professional opinion that is. Shall i blast a coin and find out?

1 hour ago, Murphy1986 said:

I am a stone mason by trade, we use shot blasting for our lettering and design work, and a less abrasive fine sand to create a matt finish on polished granite. Therefore logic would dictate that if you were to lower the abrasive properties of the blasting media enough it would also work on a coin. In my professional opinion that is. Shall i blast a coin and find out?

Are you going to try it?

😎

Chards