• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Sovereign experts I need help?

Leonmarsh

Hi all 

Been looking at this coin for months and a little out of my depth in terms of collectability,  value and so on or whether to go ahead and purchase any advice or opinions welcome 

1842 first portrait MS62 

For @LawrenceChard yes I have checked Google, auctions, my book, sorry for the spelling lol 🤣

Screenshot_20220801-202049.png

Screenshot_20220801-202115.png

Screenshot_20220801-202107.png

Screenshot_20220801-202126.png

Screenshot_20220801-202133.png

Edited by Leonmarsh

Hi Leon,

My best guess is that a dealer would chalk this up at around £1.3k to £1.6k  - depending on eye appeal.  

Private sale - I think you should aim for £850-950 if you want it for a collection rather than to sell on.

Don’t know where you are buying from but I suspect the vendor had it graded and hoped it would do a little better than MS62. For my money people spend far too much time looking at grades and not the coins themselves.

Best

Dicker

Not my circus, not my monkeys

1 hour ago, Leonmarsh said:

Hi all 

Been looking at this coin for months and a little out of my depth in terms of collectability,  value and so on or whether to go ahead and purchase any advice or opinions welcome 

1842 first portrait MS62 

For @LawrenceChard yes I have checked Google, auctions, my book, sorry for the spelling lol 🤣

Screenshot_20220801-202049.png

Screenshot_20220801-202115.png

Screenshot_20220801-202107.png

Screenshot_20220801-202126.png

Screenshot_20220801-202133.png

1 hour ago, Norskgeld said:

34 minutes ago, shawy2510 said:

Nice coin, probably worth around £1200-1350 in my opinion, how much are they asking for it.

23 minutes ago, dicker said:

Hi Leon,

My best guess is that a dealer would chalk this up at around £1.3k to £1.6k  - depending on eye appeal.  

Private sale - I think you should aim for £850-950 if you want it for a collection rather than to sell on.

Don’t know where you are buying from but I suspect the vendor had it graded and hoped it would do a little better than MS62. For my money people spend far too much time looking at grades and not the coins themselves.

Best

Dicker

It looks like a nice coin, just like this one on ebay:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/115480519370?hash=item1ae32ce2ca:g:p84AAOSwxkxiPZul

😎

Chards

6 minutes ago, LawrenceChard said:

It looks like a nice coin, just like this one on ebay:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/115480519370?hash=item1ae32ce2ca:g:p84AAOSwxkxiPZul

😎

Thanks for the expert insight Lawrence as always your pearls of wisdom are much appreciated 

19 minutes ago, daca said:

The coin sold in march for 1050  GBP at auction https://www.numisbids.com/n.php?p=lot&sid=5507&lot=67

500 profit in a few months all take any day

Plus 20 per cent fees so he is into the coin for around 1250 which puts it bang on @shawy2510estimate 

Well found @daca cheers 

5 hours ago, daca said:

The coin sold in march for 1050  GBP at auction https://www.numisbids.com/n.php?p=lot&sid=5507&lot=67

500 profit in a few months all take any day

Well found that. 👍

Assuming VAT was paid on top of 20% BP => 1302 GBP 😊

Is it breaking even after feeBay costs & postage? 🤔

Edited by jultorsk

The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

Ye I don't think the guy is overcharging as such 

Bearing in mind he needs to make a profit albeit a small one 

I suppose if it was here it would be without the bumming of auction fees and eBay fees 

Just a shame fine English nunismatic coins don't often come up on here often