• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

NGC Quality Issues (we think).

Just look at these photos.

“Burn marks” are appearing after NGC grading. Fine coins until they were sent away!

Any examples you would like to share? The below photos were from a Facebook group, not my coins.

I’m just raising this issue for other potential graders to be aware. NGC and/or Royal Mint are not taking responsibility for this!! Yet!

Who would buy a PF70 with this mark on it???

301EB3CA-9DE1-415E-9FEB-D350243E06A5.jpeg

9BD84CFC-8130-4079-8F51-22037BD61ACA.jpeg

CB7ECB99-E20C-4C2E-B614-65CF42352503.jpeg

61F09EE2-5555-4520-83B4-275110B78F2F.jpeg

BF4F3DD0-E55B-413C-81A2-0C699C8E0768.jpeg

Edited by MancunianStacker

Decus et tutamen (an ornament and a safeguard)

YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5OjxoCIsDbMgx7MM_l4CmA

Seeing more and more of this. I have 2 with the burn.

When I spoke to NGC on Friday they recon the damage could be caused by the flips splitting and the rubber bands they use contacting the coins, then the chemicals in the band's being the issue. It would kinda make sense as the damage is usually the same size on all coins.

I'm doing a rubber band test on a bullion silver coin to see if I can get it to happen. So if grading I'd say send in a capsule from now on just in case.

13 minutes ago, terakris said:

Seeing more and more of this. I have 2 with the burn.

When I spoke to NGC on Friday they recon the damage could be caused by the flips splitting and the rubber bands they use contacting the coins, then the chemicals in the band's being the issue. It would kinda make sense as the damage is usually the same size on all coins.

I'm doing a rubber band test on a bullion silver coin to see if I can get it to happen. So if grading I'd say send in a capsule from now on just in case.

What I don't get is surely they should be contacting customers about this, not just sending them back. I assume there is some sort of insurance but not sure as I have always sent through third party. 

4 minutes ago, GoldenGriffin said:

Are the coins sent directly to NGC without burn marks or is a 3rd party involved somewhere in the process?

Apparently 50% of the coins with burns had NCS “conservation” but 50% didn’t. They were fine before the were slabbed I guess otherwise they’d see the marks and down grade them more I guess 🤷‍♂️ 

My bet is their sonic sealing or maybe even any photography. Even someone’s fingers with remnants of an egg sandwich 🥪 They don’t wear gloves to handle coins so it could be anything 

7 minutes ago, GoldenGriffin said:

Are the coins sent directly to NGC without burn marks or is a 3rd party involved somewhere in the process?

Both direct and 3rd party have had the issue mate and also PCGS and NGC slabs have shown these burn marks. 

My coin was also not conserved 

1 minute ago, FlorinCollector said:

What I don't get is surely they should be contacting customers about this, not just sending them back. I assume there is some sort of insurance but not sure as I have always sent through third party. 

Just have to vote with your customer and consider PCGS Europe instead for silver at least 🤔 

😬 PCGS TOO??? 😱 

Just now, MancunianStacker said:

Just have to vote with your customer and consider PCGS Europe instead for silver at least 🤔 

For sure, I am thinking about just leaving silver alone for now and wait. I cancelled my order for the latest British monarchs 2oz silver because I don't want it raw and grading there is now that added risk. Never mind all the other QC issues we already have and milk spots. 

5 minutes ago, FlorinCollector said:

For sure, I am thinking about just leaving silver alone for now and wait. I cancelled my order for the latest British monarchs 2oz silver because I don't want it raw and grading there is now that added risk. Never mind all the other QC issues we already have and milk spots. 

Right behind you mate, I cancelled £8-£9k worth of silver. Voting with my money and trying to hit them where it hurts, but then again someone will snap them up 🙄 

Bought 2022 Bullion Sovs 😃 

4 minutes ago, MancunianStacker said:

Apparently 50% of the coins with burns had NCS “conservation” but 50% didn’t. They were fine before the were slabbed I guess otherwise they’d see the marks and down grade them more I guess 🤷‍♂️ 

My bet is their sonic sealing or maybe even any photography. Even someone’s fingers with remnants of an egg sandwich 🥪 They don’t wear gloves to handle coins so it could be anything 

4 minutes ago, FlorinCollector said:

Both direct and 3rd party have had the issue mate and also PCGS and NGC slabs have shown these burn marks. 

My coin was also not conserved 

NGC or PCGS wouldn't have had any intentional involvement in that.

The risk to their reputation, is not worth it.

Just wondered if coins were sent directly to NGC or PCGS in America 🇺🇸 or direct to a 3rd party e.g a representative that didn't take good care of the coins before shipping to America?

Very sad 😔 

5 minutes ago, MancunianStacker said:

Right behind you mate, I cancelled £8-£9k worth of silver. Voting with my money and trying to hit them where it hurts, but then again someone will snap them up 🙄 

Bought 2022 Bullion Sovs 😃 

Much better choice in my opinion mate :D 

6 minutes ago, GoldenGriffin said:

Wow, what silver were you buying for that amount!!

That's impressive.

Mixed proof, silvers, gold and platinum. One I paid for in December and cancelled in April, just a joke. Platinum Britannias too!!! 

1 minute ago, GoldenGriffin said:

Was it a fried egg sandwich by any chance? 

Wonder what toning effects you'd get years later with egg! 😲

Pop a bullion silver round in the fridge in a sealable box with a peeled boiled egg and turn the coin daily until you get the desired tone level 👌 

Obviously don’t try this with a precious coin 🪙 😬 

2 minutes ago, MancunianStacker said:

Pop a bullion silver round in the fridge in a sealable box with a peeled boiled egg and turn the coin daily until you get the desired tone level 👌 

Obviously don’t try this with a precious coin 🪙 😬 

Now that sounds like an experiment! 😂

Imagine if you ended up with a decent amount of toning in a short space of time... 😁

52 minutes ago, GoldenGriffin said:

Imagine if you ended up with a decent amount of toning in a short space of time... 😁

It should actually, I’ve heard it’s a method of artificial tonic but I haven’t tried it myself yet.

Just now, GoldenGriffin said:

Wouldn't want to try it with my 3 graces proof silver coin!

Yikes!!!

Or would I... 🤔  😂

If any of my coins had these burns marks on them I’d probably crack them out of the slab and tone it. 

Just now, MancunianStacker said:

If any of my coins had these burns marks on them I’d probably crack them out of the slab and tone it. 

Yeah good idea.

You'd find it very difficult to find a buyer and sell on with burn 🔥 marks.

Unless the market really turned around and was incredibly bullish on proof coins and then you'd have a chance.

I can't understand why they continued handling additional coins after they discovered they were damaging them. I mean, after the first occurence they must have realised there was something wrong with their processes, no? And yet they did not care, as if nothing happened? Or did they actually suspend grading, what, silver proof RM coins? Do I understand correctly that other silver coins are not affected?