• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Simple Silver Cleaning - Results

12 minutes ago, James32 said:

Wonder can a seller ask for a refund/return 🤔 🤣🤣 congrats,they look a hellova lot better than when I sent them.

Not against the rules 😆 and don't underestimate my gratitude for the price you gave me! If it weren't for the baking powder/bicarb misunderstanding then materials would have been sunk costs 😋

14 minutes ago, Dakaras said:

I enjoyed that read, I'm going to give some of my bullion a go! 

My one question how do I get Yodel as close as 4 doors away? Usually 4 villages away for me.

Go for it and make sure you tag me in any results you post! 

I've got Yodel down from the road over to only a few doors away through the use of strongly worded emails to their automated system. Nothing like screaming into the void 🙃

2 minutes ago, MagnusOpum said:

Not against the rules 😆 and don't underestimate my gratitude for the price you gave me! If it weren't for the baking powder/bicarb misunderstanding then materials would have been sunk costs 😋

Love seeing transformations like this, I'm too easily distracted and would likely end up with a bowl of bicarb and a thin silver disc 😂

I like to buy the pre-dip dip

1 hour ago, Paul said:

Goddards silver polish

I think that's best for silver plate or sterling reading the description on their website - the alu/bicarb method is entirely nonabrasive. 

Is polishing fine silver a good idea? On bullion I mean not proof stuff. 

15 minutes ago, MagnusOpum said:

I think that's best for silver plate or sterling reading the description on their website - the alu/bicarb method is entirely nonabrasive. 

My opinion only of course but if I buy a bar or coin as bullion and I'm confident that no weight will be lost by cleaning then I would be confident of reselling as bullion with no loss due to clean.....spot price that's a whole different matter 🤣 I wouldn't clean coins unless bullion coins unless really grim.

Edited by Dakaras

I have used the aluminium & sodium bicarbonate cleaning method as well but find that it isn't as effective as using Tableau Silver Dip from Robert Dyas.

Simply dip your low value bullion silver coin(s) for about 5 seconds and you will amazed with the result. Much less hassle and works great too !  But remember low value silver coins only ! 

20160525_134723_mh1643890119532.thumb.jpg.b19673cc3ed3301ac043d197e97af657.jpg

20160525_143638_mh1643890272209_edit_149146131189246.thumb.jpg.ab2e236426c6996bb03874def1150836.jpg

20160525_134712_mh1643889912595.thumb.jpg.bbceaab0169b55b3bffc6499fc1c7731.jpg

IMG_20220203_201636.thumb.jpg.f5f7305612015229dc937a44fbef3a74.jpg

Just now, Happypanda88 said:

I have used the aluminium & sodium bicarbonate cleaning method as well but find that it isn't as effective as using Tableau Silver Dip from Robert Dyas.

Simply dip your low value bullion silver coin(s) for about 5 seconds and you will amazed with the result. Much less hassle and works great too !  But remember low value silver coins only ! 

20160525_134723_mh1643890119532.thumb.jpg.b19673cc3ed3301ac043d197e97af657.jpg

20160525_143638_mh1643890272209_edit_149146131189246.thumb.jpg.ab2e236426c6996bb03874def1150836.jpg

20160525_134712_mh1643889912595.thumb.jpg.bbceaab0169b55b3bffc6499fc1c7731.jpg

IMG_20220203_201636.thumb.jpg.f5f7305612015229dc937a44fbef3a74.jpg

Any signs of scratches? 

1 hour ago, MagnusOpum said:

Godards silver polish will get rid of your spots on milky maples or tarnish from your yanky eagles, buff to a shine, with clean microfiber   Then add +25% to your eBay price - lovely jubbly !  ;)

9 minutes ago, Happypanda88 said:

Just dip coin into cleaning solution for a few seconds. No need to rub or polish so there won't be any scatches. Forgot to add rinse coin with clean water and dry with soft cloth.

I'm must do some research on the chemistry as I'm intrigued to know whether something like dip is acidic or alkaline. I'm wondering whether the alu/bicarb method is the same kind of reaction or if it's doing something different to the tarnish.

I know the jewellers dip works well on platinum and silver as I do my wife's stuff every couple of years. So tempted to make a joke there...

• 1 month later...

I'm looking to pass on some of my bullion purchases as gifts to family members as birthdays and other speial ocassions crop up.

Obviously, some of these items show signs of tarnish. What's the best way to restore their lustre whout doing any damage?

We're talking your basic 1oz coins and 1oz bars. - 999 fine.  I just want to remove any obvious spots and give them more of a shine.

Am I best with 'foil and soda', a polishing cloth, a dip, a foam or something else.

Many thanks,

FNF.

3 hours ago, FourNinesFine said:

I'm looking to pass on some of my bullion purchases as gifts to family members as birthdays and other speial ocassions crop up.

Obviously, some of these items show signs of tarnish. What's the best way to restore their lustre whout doing any damage?

We're talking your basic 1oz coins and 1oz bars. - 999 fine.  I just want to remove any obvious spots and give them more of a shine.

Am I best with 'foil and soda', a polishing cloth, a dip, a foam or something else.

Many thanks,

FNF.

If it's just tarnish then foil and bicarb is easiest but milk spots will need some proper polish and a bit more care. 

Worth testing on a single piece first and seeing how you get on.  Do share results if you can!

55 minutes ago, Scootermuppet said:

Interesting thread...

Wonder if any of these methods would affect the Latent Image Security feature on 2021 & later Britannias? 🤔  

Tarnish is silver sulfide so removing it through any method would mean you're eroding a super thin layer of the silver itself (although it's technically already lost).  Any tarnish that's really black black is still only about 100 nanometres thick so about ten thousandth of a millimetre.  If the Latent Image is about 1/350th of a millimetre deep then in theory you could tarnish and polish away almost 28 times before the Latent Image was gone.

No, I had nothing better to do this evening.

4 minutes ago, MagnusOpum said:

Tarnish is silver sulfide so removing it through any method would mean you're eroding a super thin layer of the silver itself (although it's technically already lost).  Any tarnish that's really black black is still only about 100 nanometres thick so about ten thousandth of a millimetre.  If the Latent Image is about 1/350th of a millimetre deep then in theory you could tarnish and polish away almost 28 times before the Latent Image was gone.

No, I had nothing better to do this evening.

Thanks for the comprehensive answer!  😁 Happy to have helped occupy you this evening 😉

Cheers, Bob

1 minute ago, Scootermuppet said:

Thanks for the comprehensive answer!  😁 Happy to have helped occupy you this evening 😉

Cheers, Bob

It was a great question and I've lost control of the telly due to Badminton Horse Trials😁 

So, if the reaction is between the silver sulphide (tarnish) and the aluminium foil, in theory, you could leave your silver in for an extended time and not damage the silver - as the reaction should stop when there is no silver sulphide left… In theory at least! 🤔