• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

2022 Platinum Jubilee 5oz gold proof coin scratch quality issue - advice needed

dioarn

Hi Guys,

I have just received my 2022 Platinum Jubilee 5oz Gold Proof coin, priced over 10k, but I found a few scratches on the edge of the coin. Is it acceptable? See picture below

I'm thinking to report it as a quality issue and exchange it, but I bought from a dealer rather than Royal Mint directly. Do dealers normally help exchange? Please advice, as I feel it's going to be complicated. Much appreciated. 

IMG_0664.thumb.jpg.ceccd271187c9886867c24377c68efe5.jpg

I would be returning that coin in that condition. 

I guess as to whether the dealer will help is down to the dealer in question, I hope they help you!

It's one of the reasons I buy direct from the mint, less hassle when it comes to these kind of things. 

Good luck!

Visit my website for all my Hand Poured Silver: http://backyardbullion.com

And check out my YouTube channel 

https://www.youtube.com/backyardbullion

4 minutes ago, BackyardBullion said:

I guess as to whether the dealer will help is down to the dealer in question, I hope they help you!

It's one of the reasons I buy direct from the mint, less hassle when it comes to these kind of things. 

Good luck!

Thank you so much. I actually just watched your youtube about the coins you were returning! Did you get your sovereign returned successfully? 

Are you absolutely sure that is a scratch? I know it 99% probably is, BUT try twisting the capsule cover, just to make sure it’s not the capsule rather than the coin. It certainly does LOOK like a scratch, but the very same thing happened to me on another coin and it was, believe it or not, the capsule!

7 minutes ago, dioarn said:

Thank you so much. I actually just watched your youtube about the coins you were returning! Did you get your sovereign returned successfully? 

The Royal Mint are good at getting returns and replacements. The process just takes time. 

For a coin like this, £10k worth, I would be writing a strongly worded letter to accompany the return as well as involving my account manager. It is not acceptable for the RM to have coins like this go out in that condition.  

Hopefully they will get it right for you!

12 minutes ago, Aran said:

Are you absolutely sure that is a scratch? I know it 99% probably is, BUT try twisting the capsule cover, just to make sure it’s not the capsule rather than the coin. It certainly does LOOK like a scratch, but the very same thing happened to me on another coin and it was, believe it or not, the capsule!

Thank you Aran. It's on the coin, so sad considering it costs me more than 10k to get it! Did you return yours? 

12 minutes ago, BackyardBullion said:

The Royal Mint are good at getting returns and replacements. The process just takes time. 

For a coin like this, £10k worth, I would be writing a strongly worded letter to accompany the return as well as involving my account manager. It is not acceptable for the RM to have coins like this go out in that condition.  

Can you contact Royal Mint directly even if you bough it from a dealer? Thank you so much for your advice! 

2 minutes ago, dioarn said:

Can you contact Royal Mint directly even if you bough it from a dealer? Thank you so much for your advice! 

I don't know, this is something to ask who you bought it from

I returned my 3 coin set after first release and it was replaced without issue. I can't say that it was the same experience with the replacement though. I found the half sov was acceptable, but there were obvious marks on the full sov and quarter sov so I sent it back for examination. CS contacted me and said that the full sov was a bit of debris and they just removed it (great), but they said the quarter was 'acceptable' by their standards. I've challenged this as I genuinely can't believe something visibly naked under 5x magnification is acceptable. I'm still waiting to hear back from them re their final decision, but the offer was to get the set back 'as is' or get a refund. Just have that in mind

28 minutes ago, GoldDiggerDave said:

If you are not happy then send back.  Make sure you get them to send you a returns label.

I’ve sent a lot back to the mint with quality issues and to be fair with them I’ve never had any problems. 

The RM use 48 Tracked service for returns.

This does not include insurance, so if the coin is lost in the post you may end up out of pocket.

If I return coins to the RM I use special delivery which includes insurance and pay for it myself.

4 hours ago, dioarn said:

Hi Guys,

I have just received my 2022 Platinum Jubilee 5oz Gold Proof coin, priced over 10k, but I found a few scratches on the edge of the coin. Is it acceptable? See picture below

I'm thinking to report it as a quality issue and exchange it, but I bought from a dealer rather than Royal Mint directly. Do dealers normally help exchange? Please advice, as I feel it's going to be complicated. Much appreciated. 

IMG_0664.thumb.jpg.ceccd271187c9886867c24377c68efe5.jpg

3 hours ago, BackyardBullion said:

Good luck!

3 hours ago, dioarn said:

I don't know, this is something to ask who you bought it from

The two scratches look quite obvious, and so you have a right to consider the quality unacceptable. As a product not subject to fluctuations, you should have a 30 day return right under the Distance Selling Act, but you might only be entitled to a refund. Best is to discuss it with the dealer. Whether he can get it replaced is between him and his supplier (probably the RM), but replacement by the RM is often slow.

You can contact the RM directly, but their answer will be to contact your supplier, and they will not help you directly. The RM will only deal directly with their own direct customers whether dealer or consumer.

But good luck with it, and it is regrettable that RM QC is not more reliable.

Chards

On 06/02/2022 at 17:39, LawrenceChard said:

The two scratches look quite obvious, and so you have a right to consider the quality unacceptable. As a product not subject to fluctuations, you should have a 30 day return right under the Distance Selling Act, but you might only be entitled to a refund. Best is to discuss it with the dealer. Whether he can get it replaced is between him and his supplier (probably the RM), but replacement by the RM is often slow.

You can contact the RM directly, but their answer will be to contact your supplier, and they will not help you directly. The RM will only deal directly with their own direct customers whether dealer or consumer.

But good luck with it, and it is regrettable that RM QC is not more reliable.

On 06/02/2022 at 13:39, BackyardBullion said:

Good luck!

On 06/02/2022 at 16:41, GoldDiggerDave said:

If you are not happy then send back.  Make sure you get them to send you a returns label.

I’ve sent a lot back to the mint with quality issues and to be fair with them I’ve never had any problems. 

On 06/02/2022 at 16:35, BiigT said:

I returned my 3 coin set after first release and it was replaced without issue. I can't say that it was the same experience with the replacement though. I found the half sov was acceptable, but there were obvious marks on the full sov and quarter sov so I sent it back for examination. CS contacted me and said that the full sov was a bit of debris and they just removed it (great), but they said the quarter was 'acceptable' by their standards. I've challenged this as I genuinely can't believe something visibly naked under 5x magnification is acceptable. I'm still waiting to hear back from them re their final decision, but the offer was to get the set back 'as is' or get a refund. Just have that in mind

Looking at other coins I got from the RM directly in the past 4 weeks, can you guys give me an idea which is acceptable, which is not.

The place I highlighted below are all on the coins, not on the capsule. All proof gold. Not trying to be a perfectionist, but just want to learn which could cause trouble when I sell them in the far future. Here are 4 different coins I got from RM:

IMG_0694.thumb.jpg.60ddef2d915c5d5d0fa3044367aacf5f.jpg

BackyardBullion-- above is the same coin discussed on your youtube channel recently. Would you return it like this? 

Not sure mine is a dent or not, but it's very shinning, reflecting light. I obviously don't want to open it, in case of getting dusts. Is there a good way to figure out whether it's debris? I certainly cannot blow air on it.

IMG_0703.thumb.jpeg.2274add45abd619d4af8673d3fa754c0.jpeg

2nd:

IMG_0690.thumb.jpg.64d53ab9d4a0555d4d2c4ac538e20e78.jpg

IMG_0700.thumb.jpeg.e7800e715657199f5f0ba983afd791d0.jpeg

3rd:

IMG_0689.thumb.jpg.9f86cbc34d9d178d058d4b9a953bd63b.jpg

IMG_0699.thumb.jpg.86cdd0e50f93ec77dcd19e2fec3ca0d4.jpg

4th: 

IMG_0696.thumb.jpg.acb9ed0e9749311b12842fd671a9838f.jpg

IMG_0702.thumb.jpg.44cfc87a02c24601bfb2c5880b16c703.jpg

Edited by dioarn

38 minutes ago, dioarn said:

I obviously don't want to open it, in case of getting dusts. Is there a good way to figure out whether it's debris? I certainly cannot blow air on it.  

Why not open it, it's not difficult. You'll probably find more dust or flakes of plastic than you realise. Then you can blow some air over it to get rid of the muck.

Profile picture with thanks to Carl Vernon

The magnification you are looking at is high, so the question is whether you can see any issues at 5x magnification or not. I bought a magnifying glass at that magnification for that specific reason, but I have 60x if I want to check fine detail. 

If you can't see it at 5x, there isn't much point raising it imo. That's the same standard the RM apply, but as I said in my earlier post, I could see a mark on mine at 5x mag and they claim its acceptable. I don't know their final outcome yet as it's still being investigated, but I don't hold out much hope and if they refuse, I'll just sell the set. 

It's worth knowing I've had some very good experiences with RM so I'm not critical for the sake of it. They replaced my Gothic coin without issue and the replacement was great. I've also had several other coins and sets without issue at all. I personally think the amount you spend per annum will affect the customer service you get. Naturally they won't want to lose customers that spend tens of thousands per year, whereas they might not be as bothered about losing you if you are only buying the odd item. That's not fact, but just my opinion. 

Edited by BiigT

2 minutes ago, BiigT said:

The magnification you are looking at is high, so the question is whether you can see any issues at 5x magnification or not. I bought a magnifying glass at that magnification for that specific reason, but I have 60x if I want to check fine detail. 

If you can't see it at 5x, there isn't much point raising it imo. That's the same standard the RM apply, but as I said in my earlier post, I could see a mark on mine at 5x mag and they claim its acceptable. I don't know their final outcome yet as it's still being investigated, but I don't hold out much hope and if they refuse, I'll just sell the set. 

It's worth knowing I've had some very good experiences with RM so I'm not critical for the sake of it. They replaced my Gothic coin without issue and the replacement was great. I've also had several other coins and sets without issue at all. I personally think the amount you spend per annum will affect the customer service you get. Naturally they won't want to lose customers that spend tens of thousands per year, whereas they might not be as bothered about losing you if you are only buying the odd item. That's not far, but just my opinion. 

Thank you. Useful to know!  I can see all the issue with naked eye, only zoomed in on camera to show these on photos. 

57 minutes ago, sovereignsteve said:

Why not open it, it's not difficult. You'll probably find more dust or flakes of plastic than you realise. Then you can blow some air over it to get rid of the muck.

Ah... i saw some people suggested to not open capsules, dusts could land on the surface and not easy to get off .. 

If you can see with the naked eye try and capture a photo that shows it without magnification. Then a follow up photo under magnification. That's how I managed to get the best response as I was pointing out how obvious it was..... But this is what I'm currently challenging now because I could see the mark on my quarter sov, so it's not guaranteed