• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

1845 Sov on EBay - Something about this coin I can’t put my finger on…

dicker

Hi all,

I spend quite a lot of time looking at Sovs.  I have looked at this one repeatedly and there is something about it that I can’t quite pinpoint as being odd.

Is it just me?

Best

Dicker

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/363709361983?hash=item54aec46f3f:g:WUoAAOSwNQ9h9w5a

Not my circus, not my monkeys

It’s the overall look.  The hair looks overly defined and the coin just has an odd look. Perhaps the photograph, maybe it had a filter applied.

Best

Dicker

Not my circus, not my monkeys

@James32 I am most impressed you only have four tabs open. I've got 32 at the moment :lol:

Apologies for steering off topic - unfortunately my knowledge of pre 1900 sovereigns isn't that great!

Always shipping with re-used or biodegradable packaging.

Looking to sell some items to fund a holiday. I've got some items for sale. PM me or check my profile if interested: Hitler's 3rd Reich 2 Reichsmark Coins, Roman Imperial Denarii and Other silver coins/items.

1 minute ago, stackerp5 said:

@James32 I am most impressed you only have four tabs open. I've got 32 at the moment :lol:

Apologies for steering off topic - unfortunately my knowledge of pre 1900 sovereigns isn't that great!

Obviously I closed the non pg tabs before screen shot 🤣

I like to buy the pre-dip dip

1 minute ago, Zhorro said:

On the first eBay picture the "DEI" looks very strange, but in the third picture the "DEI" looks fairly normal (and it is the same coin).

😳 Great spot.

At least there is a 50% chance the buyer gets the correct coin 🤣

I like to buy the pre-dip dip

First image appears to be a fake. Fonts are wrong - flat tops to the D & C + plus inconsistent wear. Looks like a few deliberate dints in the neck area to age it, in an otherwise clean image. However image three is genuine IMO. Just examined 15 shield-backs to get a sense of normality. There are 5 varieties of the 1845 mostly R+ Unfortunately I don't have any of them! 

6 hours ago, dicker said:

I spend quite a lot of time looking at Sovs

I used but I had to stop. Too many instances of staring at girl's hair ribbons to check if they had the Ansell stripe😎 For some reason the mothers took exception😂

but as to this coin; yes, too many issues as others have pointed out.

Profile picture with thanks to Carl Vernon

On 05/02/2022 at 21:14, Britannia47 said:

First image appears to be a fake. Fonts are wrong - flat tops to the D & C + plus inconsistent wear. Looks like a few deliberate dints in the neck area to age it, in an otherwise clean image. However image three is genuine IMO. Just examined 15 shield-backs to get a sense of normality. There are 5 varieties of the 1845 mostly R+ Unfortunately I don't have any of them! 

I agree. Pics 1&3 are different coins. First one looks dodgy. Check the date numerals. 

I call FAKE!

The first two pictures are the coin the seller is probably(?) advertising.

The other two I have seen on the site of @Allgoldcoins with the following URL:

https://www.allgoldcoins.co.uk/products/1845-queen-victoria-shield-reverse-sovereign?_pos=1&_sid=373c9493c&_ss=r

It seems to be the exact same item.

I also don't know if there are any copyright issues, but apart from that, using photos of items that don't belong to you seems fishy.

Edited by thanasis