• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Any metal detectorists out there?

I was bought a Metal detector for Christmas & one for the kids. 
I thought it was a bit of a toy but it is not actually bad for the price. 

Dr Otek MT-X & Junior. 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/DR-ÖTEK-Sensitivity-Waterproof-Discrimination-Accessories/dp/B07BT9W8MP 

Wondering if anyone has any experience on being a detectorist.
I really only want silver & gold not the slightest bit interested in Iron etc. 

I need a pin pointer and a better shovel, but we are good to go. 
Looking at this I want to go to Wales or Scotland now!!!

At least I could make back my Greatland & Alba stock losses, by some finds near thier resources. 
I hear the rivers near Scotgold are full of Gold. 

6 minutes ago, Stacktastic said:

Dr Otek MT-X & Junior. 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/DR-ÖTEK-Sensitivity-Waterproof-Discrimination-Accessories/dp/B07BT9W8MP 

At least I could make back my Greatland & Alba stock losses, by some finds near thier resources. 

I used to do Bournemouth beach, did find a few gold bits including a heavy 18ct ring! generally i covered fuel and made a few quid lol..

Great hobby, be careful to get permission if detecting inland. 

13 minutes ago, Stacktastic said:

Dr Otek MT-X & Junior. 

It is a bit of a headache to get permission, that’s the hardest part really. You’d need to speak to the landowners for permission but you can detect in some Crown owned land without permission, have a look at the maps, I’ve put a link below. It includes most but not all beaches around U.K.

I don’t know if the law is different in Scotland.

I don’t metal detect myself but I do know for every piece of gold you’ll find you’ll likely find a lot more c**p. But it does look like a good hobby that I’ve looked at doing myself.

https://www.thecrownestate.co.uk/en-gb/what-we-do/on-the-seabed/coastal/

I know a couple but they are quite cagey types regarding , don't think they like to encourage competition 🤷‍♂️😆

"It might make sense just to get some in case it catches on"  - Satoshi Nakamoto 2009

"Its going to Zero" - Peter Schiff 2013

"$1,000,000,000 by 2050"  - Fidelity 2024

Have done a lot of metal detecting over a number of years 😀 

You can discriminate iron to some degree but you cant discriminate any non ferrous metals because you will reject signals that you would want to dig .

For example if you discriminate and reject can ring pulls you will miss hammered silver coins as they come up with the same numbers 😀

It takes at least five years of long detecting hours to find a gold hammered coin and digging thousands of trash targets 😂

Silver hammered coins come up a bit more often but only if your looking in the right places and even then its long hours and hundreds of trash targets to dig 

I've been detecting several years almost entirely on beaches. I'm yet to find any gold, apart from a wedding ring that someone asked me to look for as they knew the rough area that they lost it.

I have found a few bits of silver, loads of lead fishing weights, bullets and pre decimal coins. But mainly loads of rubbish.

I think the chance of digging up a Rolex or something similar is what keeps me at it!

Good hobby that get you some fresh air though 👍 

Great hobby indeed. There is a great deal to be found and of course it is just an amazing experience to find a coin that someone had dropped a few hundred years ago.

Best of luck in finding something interesting.

One area that Twitter is good for is metal detecting folk who share pics of their finds.

Best

Dicker

Not my circus, not my monkeys

@dickerI joined a facebook group called English hammered and early milled coin collectors , some stunning pictures of coins on there that are not seen every day 👍

This was posted found by a lucky detectorist today Edward VI boy King and a couple of pictures from some other collectors 

272848713_679228696593271_8619197833041655998_n.jpg

273209095_3115147512138552_2476132347324467081_n.jpg

250532614_4460818904023430_7694309531506934535_n.jpg

Edited by Midasfrog

20 hours ago, Midasfrog said:

@dickerI joined a facebook group called English hammered and early milled coin collectors , some stunning pictures of coins on there that are not seen every day 👍

This was posted found by a lucky detectorist today Edward VI boy King and a couple of pictures from some other collectors 

272848713_679228696593271_8619197833041655998_n.jpg

273209095_3115147512138552_2476132347324467081_n.jpg

250532614_4460818904023430_7694309531506934535_n.jpg

It's the best pre 1820 coin group out there IMHO the knowledge of British hammered coins is outstanding. 

2 hours ago, MetalMandible said:

Will admit that I own a brand new metal detector that someone got for me as a gift, a while back...

Have yet to use the thing, but plan on hanging onto it (perhaps for 20+ years, when retired and free to wander the countryside). 

I asked my local pub landlord if I could have a search on his land , I have found that its the smaller parcels of land that turn up some interesting finds plus on this permission a few pints and a meal after 😀