• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Junk silver

Crabby

When it's sold on here it's snapped up pretty much straight away, minimal premium, great for playing the spot game. It's durability is great, no need to worry about gloves as it's passed many hands, no need to worry about milk spots and there his years of history that one day will die out, there is no need to worry about fakes, there are a few and almost feels like a win when you find one. Bullion dealers don't really sell them so to accumulate you have to rely on a honest peer to peer trade. 

My personal choice is .925  .  .500 is cumbersome to store and not as much interest as sterling  .  Hard to obtain other than the forum and eBay . Prices go for over spot most occasions i'd say. Interesting what you call junk . Anything remotely in decent condition sells at a premium . 

"Junk Silver" is a term we seem to have inherited from our American cousins. Traditionally they use the term to describe used silver currency coins that are common or too worn to be of any significant numismatic interest, but there is a significant difference between the UK and the US in this regard...They had silver coinage up until 1964, .900 fineness apart from the last year where they issued .400. The last year we had .925 was 1919 and the last year we had .500 was 1946. I don't know mintage figures off hand but as the American population is larger than ours by some margin I imagine the number of circulated coins still available is vast in comparison to the UK's. American "junk" often trades for the price of silver spot in it's home country (at least it did before current 'affairs') whereas it usually commands a modest premium over here. UK silver currency is a mixed bag and cost will vary hugely dependant on the coins, the seller and the direction of the wind at the time of buying...There have been some excellent bulk deals available on UK coinage on the forum recently, worth keeping your eyes balls on the trade section!

Edited by Liam84
Typo

31 minutes ago, Liam84 said:

"Junk Silver" is a term we seem to have inherited from our American cousins. Traditionally they use the term to described used silver currency coins that are common or too worn to be of any significant numismatic interest, but there is a significant difference between the UK and the US in this regard...They had silver coinage up until 1964, .900 fineness apart from the last year where they issued .400. The last year we had .925 was 1919 and the last year we had .500 was 1946. I don't know mintage figures off hand but as the American population is larger than ours by some margin I imagine the number of circulated coins still available is vast in comparison to the UK's. American "junk" often trades for the price of silver spot in it's home country (at least it did before current 'affairs') whereas it usually commands a modest premium over here. UK silver currency is a mixed bag and cost will vary hugely dependant on the coins, the seller and the direction of the wind at the time of buying...There have been some excellent bulk deals available on UK coinage on the forum recently, worth keeping your eyes balls on the trade section!

Ah those were the days, when one could buy "Constitutional" junk silver for spot.  Oh well...

I accumulated a lot of US silver junk coinage in the 00s and mid-10s. But as the prices have gone up and up, I had to switch back to British. As stated above, the huge amount minted in the US and the recency of the mintings mean they were more available and cheaper than the pre-1920 stuff. Not no more sadly.

• 2 months later...