• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

RM Trial Piece Auction - Anyone Subscribed

dicker

Hi All

Has anyone subscribed / registered for the RM Trial Piece auction on 26th Sept?

I don’t collect modern issues but would be interested in what they are flogging.  

I suspect it one of each of the Great Engravers as well as others? Presumably the trial pieces would be of the highest “Kwality” from the RM?

Best

Dicker

Not my circus, not my monkeys

Out of curiosity I registered. The page displayed to me states "FULL CATALOGUE COMING SOON". Though I don't know if thats just because I haven't yet been approved as a bidder or they are genuinely still building the catalogue. Reading through the terms there are a lot of hoops you have to jump through to bid such as registering for individual lots you intend to bid on, providing ID and a deposit. I'm not sure my curiosity will get me to jump through all those hoops but I am very interested in seeing what this is all about.

I’m interested to see what they are offering, but as for registering to bid, I’m thinking why bother.  I don’t have the funds and these won’t go cheap - the hounds will be all over them. 😆

I’ll keep my pressure in check and save for something I actually have a chance of getting.

Given the number of people who lose any/all sense of self restraint at auctions and those potential crazy's bidding blind, I stopped the registration midway.

I bet the catalogue will be available far and wide, so with so little chance of sensible bidding, I'm out.

A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they know they will never sit in.

17 hours ago, dicker said:

Hi All

Has anyone subscribed / registered for the RM Trial Piece auction on 26th Sept?

I don’t collect modern issues but would be interested in what they are flogging.  

I suspect it one of each of the Great Engravers as well as others? Presumably the trial pieces would be of the highest “Kwality” from the RM?

Best

Dicker

Tried to register...wouldn't let me I'd be interested to see what's on offer!

1 hour ago, Coverte said:

Given the number of people who lose any/all sense of self restraint at auctions and those potential crazy's bidding blind, I stopped the registration midway.

I bet the catalogue will be available far and wide, so with so little chance of sensible bidding, I'm out.

Same as me.  Very easy to get carried away.  

Not my circus, not my monkeys

3 hours ago, SilverJacks said:

With a 24% buyers premium to boot...

Plus, if they're like most auctions, there will be 20% VAT charged on the 24% premium ......... :huh:

Edited by Coverte
Typo

A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they know they will never sit in.

4 minutes ago, CollectorNo1 said:

I had a look at the link..some high prices..I almost fell off my chair when I saw someone had placed a bid of £4,200.00 for a Kew gardens gold 50p🤪🤪🤯

It's currently up to £8200 plus buyers premium of 24% so over £10000. Bonkers.

Edited by AppleZippoandMetronome

4 minutes ago, AppleZippoandMetronome said:

It's currently up to £8200 plus buyers premium of 24% so over £10000. Bonkers.

Nooooooooo way!!!!! Omg, someone is desperate for it.....I could think of better ways to spend that money on much better coins. Each to their own I guess..but that's 🤪 😜 

This is a classic example of how things and people have changed in the last 30'ish years; but now so often using borrowed money.

I well remember when the DVLA started auctions selling proper, cherished, dateless car registration numbers in 1989, not the junk every idiot has now.

I went to the early auctions as I had already been collecting old/early 1950's plates at least 10 years earlier off scrapyard cars. 

Those numbers in the early auctions were, by todays standards, an absolute steal, they have seen increases of 10's and in cases, hundreds of thousands, dependant on make up of initial occurrence 

2 minutes ago, Coverte said:

This is a classic example of how things and people have changed in the last 30'ish years; but now so often using borrowed money.

I well remember when the DVLA started auctions selling proper, cherished, dateless car registration numbers in 1989, not the junk every idiot has now.

I went to the early auctions as I had already been collecting old/early 1950's plates at least 10 years earlier off scrapyard cars. 

Those numbers in the early auctions were, by todays standards, an absolute steal, they have seen increases of 10's and in cases, hundreds of thousands, dependant on make up of initial occurrence 

Supply and demand mixed in with a whole lot of craziness....as we all know..it just takes 2 or 3 obsessed people bidding on an auction of any kind for the rivalry to hit in and make the price of any item to exceed its true value....I prefer to sit back and watch the greed and madness play out....😆😆

I think there are too many modern proofs of "collectable" coins issued by the RM and, at some point in the future, the bubble will collapse. These coins look like another puff of air into the bubble.

I only hope the RM don't spoil the future of coin collecting for the younger generation when the Benjamin bunny 50p piece they've bought for £20 turns out to worh 50p in 10 years time.

1 minute ago, Booky586 said:

I think there are too many modern proofs of "collectable" coins issued by the RM and, at some point in the future, the bubble will collapse. These coins look like another puff of air into the bubble.

I only hope the RM don't spoil the future of coin collecting for the younger generation when the Benjamin bunny 50p piece they've bought for £20 turns out to worh 50p in 10 years time.

That's why I prefer RAM n Perth mint coins...quality,diversity on themes and low mintages...the collectors coins of the future...imo much more superior than the RM  hate saying that as I'm in the UK and wished I could say our mint was superior in all area's...but comparison btwn both mints....Australia kicks the UK's butt's in PM's...just my preference and humble opinion  which I know will be questioned... but I truly believe we are way behind in quality and the minting process than our antipodean cousins...☺☺