• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

1oz Gold Lion of England

Rob64

Hi - first post - just looking for some advice/viewpoints.

Been lurking here just picking up info and tips.

I have an opportunity to pick up a bullion 1oz Lion of England for £2,000.

Lots of places on the internet at around the same figure and one or two a bit cheaper (£1,700), but very, very few actually in stock.

This one is ready and waiting. 

I've seen the love for all the QB's here - is this one too good an opportunity to miss?

Any advice/views/comments welcome.

FWIW, my opinion is that you need to reflect on the very considerable premium (over the basic bullion price) that is involved in such a purchase. Will you get it back if you need or decide to sell down the line? If not, will the undoubted attractiveness and comparative rarity of the coin give you enough pleasure in the meantime to compensate? What is your time scale? And so on. These coins are around, but they may be at peak prices now. Modern exclusive issues tend to lose value over time, although the Queen's Beasts do seem to be one of the most popular and enduring - deservedly so, I would say. Certainly a better bet than, say, an Elton John, if I am going to risk having my neck chopped off! I bought a Red Dragon from this series at a considerable premium and I am still not sure whether this was a wise thing to do.

You could consider the Completer coin for this series at a much lower premium. You will get the Lion and all the other beasts in miniature.

1 hour ago, Rob64 said:

Lots of places on the internet at around the same figure and one or two a bit cheaper (£1,700), but very, very few actually in stock.

I've seen the love for all the QB's here - is this one too good an opportunity to miss?

The obvious question is why do you want this particular coin?  Bullion dealers are selling the 1oz gold bullion "Completer" coin for about £1,400.  To me, this would seem to be a better buy.

I'd rather have 6 2021 sovs for £1900

More coins so more fun to play with IMO! 

If you think you're going to make a profit on that coin in 12 months or less, I can't see it personally, don't understand the hype from new members on bullion coins, QB or other. 

Of course if it is purely for collectible value and you want the set in bullion then crack on, just remember it will likely be an item that you value so you will have to determine the worth of it and accept there could be a loss if you ever need to sell it.

Thanks all.

I was wavering with some of the questions/comments you all raise - hence the post.

Some new queries there as well - I suppose the availability was the big temptation. Definitely a bit of 'gold fever''.

Slightly less tempted after reading those.

Sound advice.

2 hours ago, Rob64 said:

I often use BullionbyPost as a barometer of prices just to compare coins and their relative values.
The newer QB are in the £1,300 bracket and most of the earlier issues in the £2,000 region with the Griffin listed at £2,890 !!
The Lion was listed at £2,087 when I checked.

If you are set on acquiring a one ounce QB Lion then maybe I can help as I have a spare.
On the basis of you willing to spend £2,000 for this specific coin you would receive possibly next day then I could let mine go for £1,900.
Feel free to continue any detailed discussion using PM.

I'm feeling that a 1 ounce Lion is a hell of a bundle risk, because you'll buy massively over spot - and that in a one piece package.

As with all purchases, think about your exit strategy - do you have a plan on how to sell on a profit one day - also considering how long term that will make this specific investment.

While I appreciate the idea, and the Lion is a beautiful coin, I would diversify with that sum, maybe get a quarter ounce Lion (higher premium but less in the bundle) and put the rest into other coins.

Hi @Rob64,

Unless you're buying this Lion to complete your own current collection I personally wouldn't spend 2 grand on it! Pick up the QB completer which is stunning plus a 2021 sov and put £300 back in your pocket. 

Just my thoughts for what they are worth, one stacker to the other. 

Happy stacking man 👍🏻

Hello

If it is something you have to have I would be aiming for 1550-1650 perhaps a touch more.  2k is too much in my opinion.

If you are looking for an investment coin there are others to be had for that sort of premium over spot.  My preference is not for modern issues but those that have been around for some time like Shield Sovereigns.

Best

Dicker

Edited by dicker
Typos

Not my circus, not my monkeys

To one and all.

I'd really like to thank you all for your comments - really impressed with the level of knowledge and detail and the time taken to weigh it up and respond to my query.

The overall opinion seems to be it's a bit too high a premium unless I'm really keen on it for specific collectable/completion reason. 

So I think I'll leave it there and move on.

Will keep on lurking  to gain more info and knowledge.

regards

Rob

I think as many have already stated, £2k is a very large premium for a 1oz Bu coin with an unlimited mintage set by the RM.

@Pampfan did a freedom of information request several years ago, I’ve linked to where you can find the figures below.

At the time of the request there were 22,248 Units of the 1oz Lion sold- the RM didn’t respond to his subsequent FOI requests in terms of updated figures.

I think as @dicker stated, £1600- £1700 is about the mark.