• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Selling on the forum..............and HMRC

Has anyone on here had any enquires from HMRC about selling they've done on the forum? Would it arouse suspicion if say you were making 2-3 sales a month and making over a £1000 in the tax year? I understand everyone has a £1000 trading allowance and if earn above this, HMRC have to be notified - but how does it work vis a vis CGT free coins. Are they exempt from the trading allowance or are they exempt from capital gains tax only?.......

Thanks in advance!

For the taxman to query about selling on here they would need to have knowledge of your membership and then gain your personal details from the forum to be able to question sales on here and members are from all over the world, i'm self employed so i can just add any profits onto my accounts if needed..  

It does not matter how slowly you go so long as you do not stop.

1 hour ago, TringSilver said:

Did you forget to mention you were asking for a friend ? 😁

Oh bugger did i miss that out 🤔 lol 

This doesn’t apply to me tbf, just something i wondered about, especially regarding CGT coins

2 hours ago, Bars said:

Has anyone on here had any enquires from HMRC about selling they've done on the forum? Would it arouse suspicion if say you were making 2-3 sales a month and making over a £1000 in the tax year? I understand everyone has a £1000 trading allowance and if earn above this, HMRC have to be notified - but how does it work vis a vis CGT free coins. Are they exempt from the trading allowance or are they exempt from capital gains tax only?.......

Thanks in advance!

The following is not financial advice, only my opinions and interpretations, I would suggest seeking professional financial advice if you are unsure. 

Have a read of these badges of trade from HMRC. 

https://www.gov.uk/hmrc-internal-manuals/business-income-manual/bim20205

If you are just selling your own coins as a collector/investor you don't have anything to declare as trading. It would all work as selling assets so profits over the CGT threshold would need to be declared. CGT coins do not need to be included in those calculations. 

Visit my website for all my Hand Poured Silver: http://backyardbullion.com

And check out my YouTube channel 

https://www.youtube.com/backyardbullion

2 hours ago, Bars said:

Thanks in advance!

If you are trading then CGT exemption would not apply. 

So, if your business is buying cheap Britannia's and selling them for a £1/oz profit as a business then this is taxable and needs to be declared.

If they are an asset and held as an asset and sold as an asset then CGT applies. 

Last thing I will add, that £1000 is not profit, its turnover. 

So if you are making £1/oz profit on your britannia flipping business you would be fine to sell approximately 33 Britannia's before your turnover went over £1000 and you would have to register with HMRC, not £1000 profit off £30,000 turnover

Turnover is the entire sell price remember. 

1 hour ago, BackyardBullion said:

Last thing I will add, that £1000 is not profit, its turnover. 

So if you are making £1/oz profit on your britannia flipping business you would be fine to sell approximately 33 Britannia's before your turnover went over £1000 and you would have to register with HMRC, not £1000 profit off £30,000 turnover

Turnover is the entire sell price remember. 

Thank you, you’ve answered that thoroughly 

59 minutes ago, sixgun said:

i would say the vast majority of people here are not trading - they aren't buying stuff to sell on. They collect bits and pieces, they change their minds, they rearrange their collections. 

So there is the £1000 turnover of online sales / year / person. 
There is also the sale of chattels - https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/chattels-and-capital-gains-tax-hs293-self-assessment-helpsheet/hs293-chattels-and-capital-gains-tax-2019

Chattels are you person items - it could be furniture, jewellery, coins, bars clothes, paintings, pots and pans.....

Now read this carefully - HMRC says you 'need' (need - since when would i need) to declare GAINS on the disposal of chattels where the proceeds are more than £6000 AND the chattel is not exempt from CGT.

So let's run over an imaginary situation were as i remember all your coins are UK coins and so exempt from CGT. At that point you can go back to sleep.

Plus of course if you are also acting on behalf of your wife, mother, father, brother, blah blah for some of the sales and then you can lump in their allowances for chattels. 
We must also remember your CGT allowance of £12,300 and as always you are selling on behalf of family members as well.

Really when you start thinking outside the box and not like a slave for the vast major of members who are not traders there should be no need to be paying tax to Her Majesty's thieves and pirates. So you sell as Jim Smith an ordinary bloke who isn't doing this as a trade, business - just a hobby that all his family is involved in.

ps - Now i am reading further on - as we see HMRC say you need to declare gains from the sale of A chattel which realised more than £6000 and was subject to CGT. It says a chattel which means ONE chattel. It says on the webpage that if you sell a set of chattels, the set counts as A chattel.
So if you sold a set of coins as one item it would count if it was more than £6000. So if you sold a chattel (or set this week) and then some other chattel next week these would be separate chattels and it resets the counter. Seems to me unless gold goes to the Moon no-one here who isn't trading and we aren't traders here - we're hobbyists, it is going to be hard to breach the chattel threshold and we can forget this matter.

Very interesting read, wasn’t aware of chattels. Thank you 

• 1 month later...
On 27/07/2021 at 19:15, sixgun said:

Plus of course if you are also acting on behalf of your wife, mother, father, brother, blah blah for some of the sales and then you can lump in their allowances for chattels. 
We must also remember your CGT allowance of £12,300 and as always you are selling on behalf of family members as well.

I love it when I sell for my family and friends.

leo.gif.532756463e386204da812bbcde9555d5.gif

Edited by Minimalist

I rarely sell and then I give it away, I dont own any PM's. No point in having any - so the taxman cant get his hands on it in crisis. All my pictures on here just stock ones and just virtual NFT images.... 👍🐮

Edited by HerefordBullyun

Central bankers are politicians disguised as economists or bankers. They’re either incompetent or liars. So, either way, you’re never going to get a valid answer.” - Peter Schiff

Sound money is not a guarantee of a free society, but a free society is impossible without sound money. We are currently a society enslaved by debt. My favourite chat up line - J'adorerais te mettre dans la pipe.

If you are a new member and want to know why we stack PMs look at this link https://www.thesilverforum.com/topic/56131-videos-of-significance/#comment-381454

3 hours ago, HerefordBullyun said:

I rarely sell and then I give it away, I dont own any PM's. No point in having any - so the taxman cant get his hands on it in crisis. All my pictures on here just stock ones and just virtual NFT images.... 👍🐮

1AF07754-C8BD-4892-A6DC-345966768AF0.gif.57a8fba9e40663fc138f4c256cd1d6d6.gif

Cookies & terms of service

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. By continuing to use this site you consent to the use of cookies and to our Privacy Policy & Terms of Use