• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Queen’s 95th Birthday SotD Sovereign

RIP PRINCE PHILLIP!

can someone explain to me how the SOTD sovs work? Im planning a VIP trip to the mint and want to get a sovereign on the day but is it best to book certain dates to get a specific sovereign? Or do they just run certain ones at certain times? Are only some worth getting? Any help would be much appreciated!

6 hours ago, TheMadKing said:

The CC’s preorders were closed a while back.

But indeed as @Zhorro says, the RM have taken down that page.

It will definitely be a bit insensitive to strike a celebration Sovereign while HM is mourning her husband. Perhaps they will strike it on HM’s official birthday later in June. It would certainly match with what they did in 2016 for the 90th Birthday SotD.

• 1 month later...

So it looks like there are two ways to get this Sovereign.

Individually - £630

https://www.royalmint.com/our-coins/events/the-95th-birthday-of-her-majesty-the-queen/celebration-sovereign/

As part of a 3 coin Sovereign set including the 1926 and 1957 Sovereigns - £1995

https://www.royalmint.com/our-coins/events/the-95th-birthday-of-her-majesty-the-queen/her-majesty-the-queens-95th-birthday-celebration-set/

Edited by westminstrel

15 minutes ago, westminstrel said:

So it looks like there are two ways to get this Sovereign.

Individually - £630

https://www.royalmint.com/our-coins/events/the-95th-birthday-of-her-majesty-the-queen/celebration-sovereign/

As part of a 3 coin Sovereign set including the 1926 and 1957 Sovereigns - £1995

https://www.royalmint.com/our-coins/events/the-95th-birthday-of-her-majesty-the-queen/her-majesty-the-queens-95th-birthday-celebration-set/

The 2021 sov in the set does not seem to be the matte SOTD? 🤔

Screen Shot 2021-06-03 at 10.30.55 am.png

The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

2 minutes ago, westminstrel said:

The description does say it is the SotD Sovereign.

• The 2021-dated Sovereign features a special ‘95’ privy mark and will be/was struck on her official birthday

True, sorry - I was just looking at the picture; the coin does not appear matte nor plain rim. But you're correct, the text does state clearly it is the SOTD. 😅

Nice set, not sure of the value is right but the concept is good. 

I'm hanging on the fence with this one - probably will pass and try to focus on the 2022 sovs (which will probably have large mintages, though..).

Screen Shot 2021-06-03 at 10.44.29 am.png

The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

• 2 weeks later...
49 minutes ago, Zhorro said:

Now sold out.

Did not think it would sell out with the high mintage for a SOTD.  Got a few of these and they are all low mintages for sovereigns, problem is I think it will be a generation or so before these become highly collectable if not longer.   

On 20/03/2021 at 09:02, westminstrel said:

Okay here’s a weird thing I noticed...

The RM is advertising the Queen’s 95th Birthday SotD Sovereign struck on April 21 (which is the day of HM’s birth).

Link: https://www.royalmint.com/our-coins/events/the-95th-birthday-of-her-majesty-the-queen/the-95th-birthday-of-her-majesty-the-queen-celebration-sovereign/

However back in 2016, the 90th Birthday SotD Sovereign was stuck on June 11 which was the “official” celebration day (the second Saturday in June).

Link: https://www.thecoinconnection.co.uk/product/2016-90th-birthday-hm-queen-celebration-sovereign-gold-bu-coin/

Feels quirky doesn’t it? 😀

Good spotting!

It's a wonder the RM haven't done 2 different S.O.D. Queen's bithday sovereigns, one in April, and the other in June. 🙂

Perhaps they brought it forward this year as a bit of "insurance"?

Chards

2 hours ago, LawrenceChard said:

Good spotting!

It's a wonder the RM haven't done 2 different S.O.D. Queen's bithday sovereigns, one in April, and the other in June. 🙂

Perhaps they brought it forward this year as a bit of "insurance"?

Well for better or for worse they are now both struck on HM’s official birthday after all. 😏

37 minutes ago, westminstrel said:

Well for better or for worse they are now both struck on HM’s official birthday after all. 😏

We only have the Royal Mint's word for that, and...

Does anybody really care what day they were struck? 🙂

Chards

On 03/06/2021 at 10:02, westminstrel said:

I’m taking the bait on the single coin. 😅

Well that answers one of my questions I asked in my catch up PM to you earlier.

Own it and Love it.

(With thanks to 9x883 for the suggestion)