• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Queen’s 95th Birthday SotD Sovereign

Okay here’s a weird thing I noticed...

The RM is advertising the Queen’s 95th Birthday SotD Sovereign struck on April 21 (which is the day of HM’s birth).

Link: https://www.royalmint.com/our-coins/events/the-95th-birthday-of-her-majesty-the-queen/the-95th-birthday-of-her-majesty-the-queen-celebration-sovereign/

However back in 2016, the 90th Birthday SotD Sovereign was stuck on June 11 which was the “official” celebration day (the second Saturday in June).

Link: https://www.thecoinconnection.co.uk/product/2016-90th-birthday-hm-queen-celebration-sovereign-gold-bu-coin/

Feels quirky doesn’t it? 😀

Queen has two birthdays

I always thought one was her actual birthday and the other was the day of her coronation but after googling this is not the case, apparently there's just two because they pick a day in summer that will be nice for a parade

Help thread for members new to silver/gold stacking/collecting

The Money Printing Myth the Fed can't and don't money print - Deflation ahead, not inflation 

Yes @Kman- the tradition of picking a day in summer goes back to George II who wanted to celebrate his birthday in good weather since he was born in the autumn. 😊

The point I was making was that the RM had picked different days in 2016 and 2021 for their strike on the day Sovereigns. 

23 minutes ago, westminstrel said:

Yes @Kman- the tradition of picking a day in summer goes back to George II who wanted to celebrate his birthday in good weather since he was born in the autumn. 😊

The point I was making was that the RM had picked different days in 2016 and 2021 for their strike on the day Sovereigns. 

I'm confused

You mean how do they choose between SoTD for her real or state birthday? and why different years does it change

The Money Printing Myth the Fed can't and don't money print - Deflation ahead, not inflation 

36 minutes ago, Kman said:

I'm confused

You mean how do they choose between SoTD for her real or state birthday? and why different years does it change

Yes, all I was pointing out is that:

- for HM’s 90th birthday in 2016, the RM struck the celebration SotD Sovereign on June 11.

- for HM’s 95th birthday this year, it seems the RM will strike the celebration SotD Sovereign on April 21. 

2 minutes ago, GoldStatue said:

That's a good point, could they be doing a second SOTD sovereign for her second birthday as well?

They would normally release a few different SOTD sovereigns over the course of a year.

Or for Prince Philip's 100th birthday on June 10th.

8 hours ago, Zhorro said:

Or for Prince Philip's 100th birthday on June 10th.

This is definitely the case. They had the Queen Victoria and Prince Albert SOTDs in 2019 so I’m sure they’ll do the same thing

Looking for 1981 and 1983-1984 GOLD Ghanaian coins

I think that it’s simply a case of the Mint being ignorant about such things. It’s just their job to sell their products and nothing to do with employees personal interests so who cares?

I (and probably others) recently contacted the RM about an incorrect “fact” on their website wherein an article stated that King George VI died in 1951 and Elizabeth became Queen.  As he died in 1952, it tells me that nobody proof reads their website content or they lack knowledge and assume if they read that he died in 1951 then the content provider must know that for sure. It was corrected the following day.

Well spotted re the SOTD sovs @westminstrel. I hope you weren’t affected by the bad flooding in NSW.

On 21/03/2021 at 00:36, GoldStatue said:

Of course! I guess that would need to be a different design, it'd look a bit odd with a 95 privy mark on it.

Since the Queen’s 95th Birthday SotD is supposed to have a plain edge with the 95 privy, I assume the Prince Philip SotD with just be a plain edge without the privy. Both will be BU matte.

And then they will also probably release the “annual” BU matte which will have a milled edge and 95 privy for this year.

My head is spinning... 😼

43 minutes ago, westminstrel said:

My head is spinning... 😼

And to think in Australia it's a moveable feast; the celebration dates are differing even between states and none are in April when she was actually born...  😅🇦🇺

Screen Shot 2021-03-25 at 7.01.11 pm.png

The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

1 hour ago, westminstrel said:

Since the Queen’s 95th Birthday SotD is supposed to have a plain edge with the 95 privy, I assume the Prince Philip SotD with just be a plain edge without the privy. Both will be BU matte.

And then they will also probably release the “annual” BU matte which will have a milled edge and 95 privy for this year.

My head is spinning... 😼

They will probably change the privy mark to P100 for Prince Philip (if they are able to get someone to design this), or use his royal cypher (with or without the 100).

21 minutes ago, jultorsk said:

And to think in Australia it's a moveable feast; the celebration dates are differing even between states and none are in April when she was actually born...  😅🇦🇺

Screen Shot 2021-03-25 at 7.01.11 pm.png

Hahah indeed. In Australia each state can decide when to celebrate the Queen’s birthday. It’s just another excuse to get a long weekend (not that I’m complaining!) 😬

7 minutes ago, Zhorro said:

They will probably change the privy mark to P100 for Prince Philip (if they are able to get someone to design this), or use his royal cypher (with or without the 100).

Using Prince Philip’s cypher would be nice. Although the SotD Sovereign for Prince Charles’ 70th Birthday didn’t have any privy mark, I suppose a 100th birthday warrants something special - hope they don’t just tack on a “100” and call it a day.

They would need to have something impressively unique for me to have had any interest

A real one off: special portrait or alternative G&D

A little cypher, no. 

plain edge, no.

matte finish, no.

Edited by Kman

48 minutes ago, Kman said:

They would need to have something impressively unique for me to have any interest

A real one off: special portrait or alternative G&D

A little cypher, no. 

plain edge, no.

matte finish, no.

A shield Reverse?

I’m not sure there’s any other options or it was forsake the tradition of the Sovereign.

• 2 weeks later...