• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

What was your first piece of Gold that you bought?

Alex944

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Abyss said:

Nostalgic walk down memory lane September 2018 these were the first three oz bullion gold all purchased on the forum.

IMG_0334.JPG.9e026cfe3489526c35cedc9cca7

Gentle entry into the game then...................lol

Hi,

I'm new in the forum and gold stacking. My first piece is a 2021 panda (bought last week). My kids love pandas, and I thought that would be nice to give it to them when they'll turn 18 (so it's worth paying the premium on this). Since then, I bought couple of Sovereign, but waiting to buy more if Gold dipped . I would like to have couple of Britannia, the new ones look great.

• 2 weeks later...
On 17/02/2021 at 00:25, Swampy said:

They always look bigger in the marketing! 

Had the same disappointment with the first sovereign I ordered, it came in a bigger package with 20 silver 1 oz coins (which are pleasantly big in hand, no disappointment there). After I opened the box and counted all silver coins, I was still looking around for the main attraction and couldn't find it, it was so small and it got stuck in a corner of the box...

It looks nice and big with a loupe though :D .

On 13/02/2021 at 15:18, Abyss said:

Nostalgic walk down memory lane September 2018 these were the first three oz bullion gold all purchased on the forum.

IMG_0334.JPG.9e026cfe3489526c35cedc9cca7

Also got into this from Queen's Beasts - first was a present 1/4 ouce unicorn!

Only wish i had purchased more back dated ones back then, as now finding it very difficult to complete the set in both 1 ouce and 1/4 ouce.

Any tips on where to buy would be great - I've already bought the ones from Royal Mint and Atkinsons...

My first ever gold coins (2) were huge!!! 1/20th Ounce Isle of Man Angels from Pobjoy Mint in 1997 ... paid £29.99 each for them... then i never bought again until last year then discovered fine Silver and got hooked... in 2 months i'd bought about 60oz of silver and currently sitting with 21 1gm gold bars i'm going to flip ... got carried away with lockdown... and i now know im related to a magpie as i cant resist shiny things.. 

It does not matter how slowly you go so long as you do not stop.

On 08/03/2021 at 00:09, Touvex said:

Also got into this from Queen's Beasts - first was a present 1/4 ouce unicorn!

Only wish i had purchased more back dated ones back then, as now finding it very difficult to complete the set in both 1 ouce and 1/4 ouce.

Any tips on where to buy would be great - I've already bought the ones from Royal Mint and Atkinsons...

Set up alerts on Chards, Hatton Garden Metals, Atkinson and ATS bullion website when they have stock you will be sent an email alert. I am holding onto my stack QBs for a couple years hoping gold price appreciate, premium appreciation potentially the passing of the head of monarchy could see QB coins significantly increase in value. I do believe lot of 1 oz 1/4 Gold QB coins come back onto the secondary market when the price is right.....

As someone on a limited budget my first piece of physical gold is 1/10th ounce Britannia - oofftt at the premium but hey. Bit of an impulse buy (the worst I suppose) but I now own my first piece of gold. 

On 18/01/2021 at 16:49, Fishface220 said:

Wow.... mine was two 1g gold bars from BBP. Came loose in tiny coin holders!! Talk about a shock to the system!! I knew they would be small but bugger me, loose they are  ridiculously small! Still got them both..... I paid too much to sell them on. 

Live and learn but they were enough to get me hooked

(no pictures..... zoom not great on the phone. Ha)

Stick a jewellers loupe on the lens ;)

Archived