• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

What was your first piece of Gold that you bought?

Alex944

And do you still have it?

Happy Monday everyone,

The first piece of gold that I bought was a 1875 Dutch 10 Guilder, which was the first year of the last series of the 10 Guilder gold coins with a King (Willem of Orange Nassau III). From 1890 onward, we've had Queens on the coin until they no longer struck the 10 guilder gold coins in 1933. I bought this particular coin not to stack but as a keep sake for myself and pass it at some stage. It weighs in at 6.729g (6.056 fine) and I think it looks brilliant. It was also a way for me to ''stay connected'' after moving from Netherlands, or at least in my mind.

I think I got lucky to obtain one in a pretty good condition considering these were in circulation and it's close to 150 years old. Also I guess it's worth noting that Dutch coins tend to flip vertically (like ASE's) rather than horizontally like most.

What was your first gold coin (or piece of gold), and do you still have it? Welcoming any pictures :)

All the best!

E8DC17D0-1D4B-44DA-9759-0DC051E4BE7F.png

9764E012-9C18-4C00-9445-172D22588D2A.png

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mine was just a basic 1974 full sovereign. I shall apologise for the lack of a picture, but i don't have it immediately to hand. I do however very much still own it. It is part of my pension and would probably be the very last piece i would sell. I'm hoping that i'll never need to sell that particular one and it can be passed down.

I love those Dutch Guilders. It's the only gold coin which I have two of (and I don't own much gold). 

My first gold item was actually two items in the same order: a Pamp 2.5g Lady Fortuna gold bar and a 2009 1/4 proof sovereign. 

I sold the Pamp bar but still have the 1/4 sovereign. 

35 minutes ago, Blockhead said:

I love those Dutch Guilders. It's the only gold coin which I have two of (and I don't own much gold). 

Very cool! I have a couple of silver guilders from the 70's (nothing special) but only the one gold guilder. Which years do you have and would you have pictures? I'd love to see those.

All the best,

Wow.... mine was two 1g gold bars from BBP. Came loose in tiny coin holders!! Talk about a shock to the system!! I knew they would be small but bugger me, loose they are  ridiculously small! Still got them both..... I paid too much to sell them on. 

Live and learn but they were enough to get me hooked

(no pictures..... zoom not great on the phone. Ha)

Mine was a 1911 half sov that I traded silver for here on the forum but that went a while back when I was completing my mexican gold set from the 2 pesos to the 50 

37 minutes ago, Fishface220 said:

Wow.... mine was two 1g gold bars from BBP. Came loose in tiny coin holders!! Talk about a shock to the system!! I knew they would be small but bugger me, loose they are  ridiculously small! Still got them both..... I paid too much to sell them on. 

Live and learn but they were enough to get me hooked

(no pictures..... zoom not great on the phone. Ha)

Can you imagine the looks on peoples faces when they buy 1/20 or 1/40 oz gold coin that the adverts show. They make them look like the size of a 1oz coin 😆

8 minutes ago, danmc82 said:

Can you imagine the looks on peoples faces when they buy 1/20 or 1/40 oz gold coin that the adverts show. They make them look like the size of a 1oz coin 😆

Yeah, I’ve seen a few like that and always think I wonder how they react once they’ve unpacked the packaging and out pops a 1/40th! I’ve got a quarter sovereign and that’s small enough (can’t fault the details they put in such small pieces thou) 

A 2015 Sovereign (I'm not a total philistine @dicker...) from Bairds with my first months 'stopping smoking savings' for £174. I knew nothing about PM then (and not much more now to be fair) and I remember feeling disappointed at how small it was. If only I'd known...I still have it of course AND I'm still off the fags!

2 hours ago, Alex944 said:

Very cool! I have a couple of silver guilders from the 70's (nothing special) but only the one gold guilder. Which years do you have and would you have pictures? I'd love to see those.

All the best,

Cheers. 

I don't have very good photos as they are off-site. Only the one here. The other is a 1931 in similar condition. 

IMG_20181228_142626342.jpg

IMG_20181228_142639748.jpg

The first piece of gold that I owned was a 2003 bullion sovereign.  It cost me less than £10, which was the entry fee for the 10km road race for which the sovereign was first prize 😁

The first piece of gold that I actually paid a full price for was a 2002 bullion sovereign that I bought in 2015, from Bullion By Post.  I paid £245 for it.

I still have both of these coins.

4 hours ago, GoldStatue said:

I suspect a gold filling 😀

I sold a gold crown from one of my own teeth for £37 as 2.1 grams of 14 carat scrap gold in 2017 😁

The tooth in question crumbled, so I kept the crown and turned it into cash!

2 hours ago, Stuntman said:

I sold a gold crown from one of my own teeth for £37 as 2.1 grams of 14 carat scrap gold in 2017 😁

The tooth in question crumbled, so I kept the crown and turned it into cash!

At least you got more than £tooth hurty for it.☺️

An early George III half guinea which cost me all of £75 back in 1998.

Sadly, I sold it along with my entire sovereign stack in 2005. Made a tidy profit, of course, but it would have been better if I had waited until 2011! 

Archived