• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

What was your first piece of Gold that you bought?

Alex944

My first piece of gold was from Arshi back in 2015. It was a Solomon Islands 24 carat 1/4 oz coin for £183 and I've still got it. In fact I've still got most of the gold I've bought apart from bits I've given away as gifts. 

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My first piece of gold was a ring I bought when I was a young lad. I do not have it anymore - sold when I was at University. It paid for boo(ks)(ze).

My first coin was a 2012 bullion half sovereign. I was at a coin fare and looking at the half sovereigns. It stood out because it was different and yet the price was the same as all the others. I had no clue it was a special year etc. I no longer have it as I sold it to get cash together for a bullion 1817 half that I then sold last year to cover the costs of a graded proof sovereign (1989). I currently have the 1989 but this is going to auction in April along with a few others in order to raise funds for more weight in raw coins. It is like a massive family tree of trading up and up and up!! 

The first gold bullion piece I ever bought was a 20g Valcambi bar. I still have it, original packaging. Haven't sold it but it will probably be the first one to go when the time is right, it's not special as a coin is for example.

On 18/01/2021 at 17:28, danmc82 said:

Can you imagine the looks on peoples faces when they buy 1/20 or 1/40 oz gold coin that the adverts show. They make them look like the size of a 1oz coin 😆

That wasn’t what was advertised. 😂

My first gold bullion was three random Sovereigns in June 2018.

I got a 2018, 1965 and an 1897 Sovereign all of which I still have and cost me £230 each. My original trio’ of gold.

But recently I suddenly lost a close family memeber, I now realise we’re merely the guardians of everything we own. Even our gold. We take nothing with us.

11 hours ago, Foster88 said:

I now realise we’re merely the guardians of everything we own. Even our gold. We take nothing with us.

Agreed. I think many if not most of us do what we do ultimately for the ones we love. We get the joy (and expense!) of putting our stacks & collections together, but like you said, you dont take it dont take it with you. I just hope that it makes a difference for, or sparks an interest in my kids.

A 10g Royal Mint bar a couple of years back when spot was sub-£980. Had a rather high premium as I got it direct from the mint before I really knew what I was doing - but still made a £90 profit when I sold it last year in a purge of high premium purchases from the stack.

5 hours ago, TopMasterTrader said:

10 Dollars Liberty 🗽 from 1908 Denver Mint

I have just received it by post today morning. That's my first gold coin and I love it! 

IMG_20210121_152550_Bokeh__01.jpg

IMG_20210121_152043__01.jpg

I always thought these were lovely coins! Such a swell design, same with the incuse half and quarter eagles too.

• 3 weeks later...

1989 double sovereign.

Bought in Pontypridd market for £245 in 1999.  Crazy purchase for me then as a skint grad - but wanted it as soon as I saw it.  Only had old English and holiday coins before that.  

23 minutes ago, Swampy said:

1989 double sovereign.

Bought in Pontypridd market for £245 in 1999.  Crazy purchase for me then as a skint grad - but wanted it as soon as I saw it.  Only had old English and holiday coins before that.  

Lovely price back in the day.

2 x 2.5g Umicore bars. No idea why, just wanted to get involved. Paid around £70 each I think. Still got them.

Bought a 10g PAMP bar and a few 1oz RM bars next. Then I found sovs, and that's all I've bought since.

First purchase was about 4 years ago a 1/10 gold Brit and a 1 oz Silver Brit - paid £120 for the 1/10 and about £23 for the Oz and at the time I really worried about the premium I paid !!!!

Lesson learnt don’t think about the premium too much keep stacking little and often😉

I think my first gold piece was a 5 peso coin. Either that or a US 5 dollar half eagle. But both are the staples of my gold stack so that's why I'm guessing it's one those.

Either way I no longer have that particular coin since I had to sell the entire stack over two years ago due to emergency expenses.

First piece of gold, that I've bought, was a PAMP 100g bar, purchased from the money I was depositing for my daughter. Interest rate was too low.

Hopefully, by the time she turns 18, I can stak half kilo for her, plus a couple of proof series.

Archived