• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

2021 proof sovereign - available at 9am

Kman
Message added by ChrisSilver,

This is a discussion topic for members and should not be used for dealers to advertise their items for sale. Two different posts have been hidden as have been reported by members.

Dealers who wish to enquire about advertising opportunities on TSF are invited to consider a dealer sub forum section. For more information please contact @ChrisSilver

14 hours ago, LawrenceChard said:

I still don't know yet, it has been a couple of very busy days, but I will ask.

Seems like the Royal Mint packaged some of the coins without their information booklets, so we were advised to manually check all our stock, which were actually OK, but it is a typically common problem with Royal Mint products, quality control and process control.

It creates extra work for us!

Chards

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply
23 minutes ago, LawrenceChard said:

Seems like the Royal Mint packaged some of the coins without their information booklets, so we were advised to manually check all our stock, which were actually OK, but it is a typically common problem with Royal Mint products, quality control and process control.

It creates extra work for us!

How frustrating for you. Glad that your stock wasn't affected though. Thanks for updating us :)

My full sovereign arrived today and as expected the coin is great-might even be worth grading-and presentation is great. But what has caught me off guard is how this coin didn’t come in a custom fit cardboard outer box. Instead it was just bubble wrapped!?

when I buy from the mint I like to store my boxes coins in these little cardboard boxes, but now I’ve just had to leave it wrapped in bubble wrap!

Anyone know if there’s custom options out there as I’d like to protect the box?

1022D6C8-7BC4-4D8C-87DC-CD57D72DAC54.jpeg

Currently building my silver stack so looking for Kooks, Koalas, Eagles & Pandas

Outside of silver I also run a technology YouTube channel http://youtube.com/thenorthernblogger

1 hour ago, creative said:

My full sovereign arrived today and as expected the coin is great-might even be worth grading-and presentation is great. But what has caught me off guard is how this coin didn’t come in a custom fit cardboard outer box. Instead it was just bubble wrapped!?

when I buy from the mint I like to store my boxes coins in these little cardboard boxes, but now I’ve just had to leave it wrapped in bubble wrap!

It should have had a outer box. I have had a 3 set and half arrive both with outer boxes but no bubble wrap and the outer half box was damaged. Both in larger Packaging boxes with some screwed up paper to fill the gaps. I would expect at least a plastic outer bag or something.

2 hours ago, sovtsf said:

It should have had a outer box. I have had a 3 set and half arrive both with outer boxes but no bubble wrap and the outer half box was damaged. Both in larger Packaging boxes with some screwed up paper to fill the gaps. I would expect at least a plastic outer bag or something.

Sorry, I might not have explained myself. It came in a box with bubble wrap, just not the ‘box within a box’ packaging other coins come with.

same, my box had a few bumps, very flimsy packaging, luckily there was bubble wrap.

Currently building my silver stack so looking for Kooks, Koalas, Eagles & Pandas

Outside of silver I also run a technology YouTube channel http://youtube.com/thenorthernblogger

7 hours ago, creative said:

Who did you buy it from?

Chards

7 hours ago, creative said:

Do you mean this box was missing from your order?

29DB5BDB-3E92-48AA-8BB9-D8B58CFF1F07.jpeg

I wonder, is the 2021 half sovereign proof a good addition and investment.

Given the low mintage and diffence with other proof half’s with this being The Queen’s 95th Birthday in comparison to the usual, run of the mill proofs.

It makes me wonder, when will the next ‘special’ commemorative proof or sovereign be, not counting the 70th anniversary of her accession to the throne in 2022. The next commemorative birthday sovereign after this will most likely be in 2026 on The Queens 100th Birthday.

I’m tempted by this and I’m not a ‘proof’ collector.

I've had 3 deliveries of these 2021 sovs now. x2 halfs and a 3 coin set. The quality control is terrible!

Half no 1 - Missing frosting and a couple of light black marks. Outer box corner damage Return

Half no 2 - This one was good only issue is a scratched capsule Fine

3 coin set - Quarter - Fine 
Half - Missing frosting specs on both sides
Full - Missing frosting specs on both sides
Return

So from 5 coins only 2 are not impaired. Really not impressed considering the premium. I imagine for some people they wont really look at them in detail and stick them in a draw but surely they must realise this is an issue. 

14 hours ago, Foster88 said:

I wonder, is the 2021 half sovereign proof a good addition and investment.

Given the low mintage and diffence with other proof half’s with this being The Queen’s 95th Birthday in comparison to the usual, run of the mill proofs.

It makes me wonder, when will the next ‘special’ commemorative proof or sovereign be, not counting the 70th anniversary of her accession to the throne in 2022. The next commemorative birthday sovereign after this will most likely be in 2026 on The Queens 100th Birthday.

I’m tempted by this and I’m not a ‘proof’ collector.

I just think that the full sovereigns and five sovereigns are the sizes the collectors mainly focus on. 

The next special design should be in 2022 for the platinum jubilee, they did it for the golden jubilee in 2002 and the diamond in 2012.

20 hours ago, Yorkshiremanc said:

Do you mean this box was missing from your order?

29DB5BDB-3E92-48AA-8BB9-D8B58CFF1F07.jpeg

No I mean that my Victoria SOTD sovereign comes with better outer packaging than my more expensive 2021 sov.

Ignoring the bags you can see the Vic. SOTD comes in it’s own cardboard box to protect the presentation and sleeve, yet my sovereign was just bubble wrapped.

I was just lucky the bubble wrap prevented any damage to my 2021 sovereign because the box it came in had a rough time.

61B61F78-9C40-4337-A18B-C9A07444B0E0.jpeg

21 hours ago, matt1r said:

So if you buy from a third party the coin would have already been checked for issues marks etc. Or do you run the same risk as if you were to buy directly from the Mint. Can’t be doing with the faffing about.

I’ve thought this too.

On 09/11/2020 at 13:58, AndrewSL76 said:

I collect the halves so this is good news for me. The price is steep but it is the only thing I actually 'collect' so the premiums do not worry me too much. It is steep, but the secondary market is strong, especially with the relatively low mintage. I like the 95th privy and it is nice to follow on from the George III privy last year. I guess it could be worse and they could be releasing a proof version with and without. At least they are not doing that!!

I will have mine in the next three or four days then they're off to PCGS for grading...presuming they are not scratched or damaged or struck through etc.! 

A.

I should be expecting a proof half sovereign tomorrow, I only ordered one because of the low mintage - the premium doesn't really bother me as I am not looking to sell it in a hurry, more like looking to keep it for the next 20 years or longer. My biggest worry about buying this coin is the Queen not reaching her 95th Birthday because of the privy mark. I do wish her all the best of course and may she reach 100 years old, that will be special.

11 minutes ago, JamFirstCreamOnTop said:

I should be expecting a proof half sovereign tomorrow, I only ordered one because of the low mintage - the premium doesn't really bother me as I am not looking to sell it in a hurry, more like looking to keep it for the next 20 years or longer. My biggest worry about buying this coin is the Queen not reaching her 95th Birthday because of the privy mark. I do wish her all the best of course and may she reach 100 years old, that will be special.

Can you imagine.

I've been following some of the contributions on this thread for a couple days and have decided to take the plunge and go for the half - my first proof piece. I didn't get into stacking gold with the aim of buying pricey proofs, but since it's only the one then paying a premium to take a punt on it doesn't bother me too much. 

Perhaps this is the slippery slope into collecting that I've heard so much about...! 😬

3 minutes ago, R33f said:

I've been following some of the contributions on this thread for a couple days and have decided to take the plunge and go for the half - my first proof piece. I didn't get into stacking gold with the aim of buying pricey proofs, but since it's only the one then paying a premium to take a punt on it doesn't bother me too much. 

Perhaps this is the slippery slope into collecting that I've heard so much about...! 😬

Mind the lube...and enjoy 🙂

Still swithering on the half myself

6 minutes ago, Foster88 said:

@AndrewSL76

I’m looking forward to receiving mine. I was a little hesitant to order given the premium but it was the low mintage that swayed me to buying one.

I see yours is a low certificate number.

Yeah, but that means nothing to me, really. Even if it was a 001, I’d me ‘meh’ about it. The ones that would make me sit up and rub my eyes would be any James Bond coin with a 007. If you get a high number and prefer the low one, let me know and I’m happy to swap.

Actually, saying that, maybe a 0095 could be good for this one?? Haha!  

Archived