• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Royal Mint Watch

LawrenceChard

Are we the only ones to spot a new Royal Mint boob / ****-up, QC problem, etc., almost every day...

1915 Sovereign Royal Mint Recommended Page

1995862703_1915SovereignRoyalMintRecommendedPage.thumb.jpg.21323444f5358dfa65dde010e3f91f19.jpg

Anyone spot the "deliberate" error?

****-up is a refence to male domestic fowl, nothing beginning with f!

Chards

The  Royal Mint cannot be expected that one of their deliberate errors will not go unnoticed by Lawrence 'Eddie the Eagle Eye' Chard, a man who skis in his underpants! Personally I can't tell the difference between a Half / Full sovereign image of St George, however I did spot on their historical coin section similar errors of mis- representation, relating to sovereigns. Royal Mint, how dare you think you can pull the wool over the eyes of Silver Forum members! We are watching you!......

• 4 months later...

Royal Mint gold rush causes chaos for customers charged thousands for out-of-stock bars and coins as it struggles to cope with 'unprecedented' demand

Daily Mail This is Money article:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/money/investing/article-9380315/Royal-Mint-customers-charged-thousands-stock-gold-bars-coins.html

I also posted this elsewhere, but this looks like a better place for it.

Chards

On 19/03/2021 at 18:20, 5huggy said:

Saw that too! @LawrenceChard

you just saved "me" posting it!

Bit "POOR" from RM eh!?😉🤣🤣

Not good, but I partially defended them. I don't know if you noticed, but I posted 2 comments on it:

Gold, and other precious metals have been in high demand, and short supply ever since the Coronavirus pandemic arrived.

Although there is more than enough gold above ground to satisfy all demand, only a limited amount is readily available in the form of coins or small bars.

Whenever there is a big spike in demand, supply times always come under pressure.

I speak from experience as my company is the longest running coin and bullion dealer in the UK.

The last time we say a demand/supply imbalance like the current one was during the banking/credit/sub-prime crisis of 2008/9.

For most of the past year, our best value bullion products have been out-of-stock, and we have, unlike most of our competitors, offered people a choice of buying subject to an "indefinite" delay, or buying alternative items which were either in stock or inbound to us.

Most of our customers are happy with this.

I will attempt to continue in a new comment…

I am sure the Royal Mint were not "shorting the market".

It sounds like they allowed themselves to be overwhelmed by demand, and under-resourced in both their staff and their systems.

As a government-owned, monopoly business, they could and should have had good enough systems and website to cope with the Covid spike in demand. I can understand that they probably had many of their staff working from home, creating additional pressure on their resources, but there is no excuse for the deficiency of their systems.

Sadly, IMO, many people buy from the RM because of who they are, and end up paying over the top for no real, good reason, especially when there is at least one good privately owned bullion dealer out here.

Chards

On 19/03/2021 at 19:07, LawrenceChard said:

Not good, but I parptially defended them. I don't know if you noticed, but I posted 2 comments on it:

Gold, and other precious metals have been in high demand, and short supply ever since the Coronavirus pandemic arrived.

Although there is more than enough gold above ground to satisfy all demand, only a limited amount is readily available in the form of coins or small bars.

Whenever there is a big spike in demand, supply times always come under pressure.

I speak from experience as my company is the longest running coin and bullion dealer in the UK.

The last time we say a demand/supply imbalance like the current one was during the banking/credit/sub-prime crisis of 2008/9.

For most of the past year, our best value bullion products have been out-of-stock, and we have, unlike most of our competitors, offered people a choice of buying subject to an "indefinite" delay, or buying alternative items which were either in stock or inbound to us.

Most of our customers are happy with this.

I will attempt to continue in a new comment…

I am sure the Royal Mint were not "shorting the market".

It sounds like they allowed themselves to be overwhelmed by demand, and under-resourced in both their staff and their systems.

As a government-owned, monopoly business, they could and should have had good enough systems and website to cope with the Covid spike in demand. I can understand that they probably had many of their staff working from home, creating additional pressure on their resources, but there is no excuse for the deficiency of their systems.

Sadly, IMO, many people buy from the RM because of who they are, and end up paying over the top for no real, good reason, especially when there is at least one good privately owned bullion dealer out here.

I agree, they could easily buy from Harrington and Byrne........

17 hours ago, Bars said:

I agree, they could easily buy from Harrington and Byrne........

What, at one per household?

Actually I was looking on their website just a few days ago for their 2021 bullion sovereigns, and could not find them. This followed someone showing me one of their adverts in the Daily Telegraph, dated 15th March 2021 for 2021 bullion sovereign (singular) at £299. I have just calculated that at about 2.5% premium.

Now, if only they would offer quantity discounts!

Chards

4 hours ago, LawrenceChard said:

What, at one per household?

Actually I was looking on their website just a few days ago for their 2021 bullion sovereigns, and could not find them. This followed someone showing me one of their adverts in the Daily Telegraph, dated 15th March 2021 for 2021 bullion sovereign (singular) at £299. I have just calculated that at about 2.5% premium.

Now, if only they would offer quantity discounts!

That’s not bad tbf lol. Might just nab a coin and 🏃‍♂️back to safety.

Archived