• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

You should read coin specification before you buy

jiry

Hi, this just ventilation of my toughts about my first real contact with my RM Sovereign (2020).

And damn it is so small :D next time if i'll buy new type of coin/round i should definetly pay more attention to the specifications :D so i wount be that much awkwardly suprised whet it gets in my hands. On paper 22 mm sounds decent but man in that fat plastic capsule which comes with, it looks realy tiny :D Especialy if i have kilo silver bar next to it for little bit more money :D :D That is realy strong GSR in my face. 

Some might argue that the size of the sovereign is an advantage.

That kilo of silver is also harder to hide, considerably heavier with more space taken up for that little(?) bit more money.

7 minutes ago, Shep said:

It’s also harder to hide, considerably heavier and more space taken up for that little bit more money.

yeah absolutly, that is the opposite side, but for fresh noob collector as me, this realy got me unprepared:D

14 minutes ago, Shep said:

Some might argue that the size of the sovereign is an advantage.

i am still in the fase i got urge time to time to play with my collection but this size is not touchy touchy play range :D

Sounds like you need one of these:

Austrian 4 Ducat, best gold coin EVER.

39.5mm diameter, 1mm thick

Almost 14 grams of awesomeness. 

Set you back around £700 though so get saving. 😁

1866801717_Ducat1.jpg.4c5c58ab7069b363e7a85b6c02328f21.jpg1358213305_Ducat2.jpg.f0cdeba653ceb88c046ce56069401f5d.jpg

20 minutes ago, Norskgeld said:

1866801717_Ducat1.jpg.4c5c58ab7069b363e7a85b6c02328f21.jpg1358213305_Ducat2.jpg.f0cdeba653ceb88c046ce56069401f5d.jpg

One of my favourites. Massive coin, but way too thin to be handled. The 100Corona is better - big diameter AND the thickness. 

New Forum Sponsor! See Items for sale here  Also on Instagram: Bargain Numismatics 

10 minutes ago, Norskgeld said:

Hell yeah, these are hefty discs :D, but my next target is Mexican Libertad with the side lettering :)

Ducats are ok for me to get, the mint is just across the border 😉

Yeh this is something that takes most newbie by surprise. The density of these metals is such that items are always far smaller than the inexperienced would think. I remember my first oz of silver and thinking how small is was. Then my first 1/4 oz gold I was taken aback by the size of it. I thought at first someone had accidentally sent me a 1/10 oz!

If big gold is your game, save up for the 50 pesos piece. My gold its gorgeous, and thick too!

2 minutes ago, StackerNoob said:

Yeh this is something that takes most newbie by surprise. The density of these metals is such that items are always far smaller than the inexperienced would think. I remember my first oz of silver and thinking how small is was. Then my first 1/4 oz gold I was taken aback by the size of it. I thought at first someone had accidentally sent me a 1/10 oz!

If big gold is your game, save up for the 50 pesos piece. My gold its gorgeous, and thick too!

My reaction was EXACTLY the same...in first moment i was like "omg i got half Sovereign" :D  :D

Yep 50 pesos piece with the side lettering!

28 minutes ago, jiry said:

My reaction was EXACTLY the same...in first moment i was like "omg i got half Sovereign" :D  :D

Yep 50 pesos piece with the side lettering!

Mine was exactly the same the first time until I weighed it. 

I always knew the £1 coin was designed to be *roughly* the same diameter and weight and colour as the old sovereign (which was the old £1). But our perception of value is hard to uncouple from size especially with all the zoomed macro shots of them online.

On 28/05/2020 at 15:31, Prophecy said:

I always knew the £1 coin was designed to be *roughly* the same diameter and weight and colour as the old sovereign (which was the old £1). But our perception of value is hard to uncouple from size especially with all the zoomed macro shots of them online.

Absolutly, RM did great job with their photo presentation on their eshop. :)

The cure for gold coin insecurity is to keep a 2 peso coin on hand. Compare your new acquisition to that and you'll feel much better. Here you can see the 2 pesos and a 10 pesos, which is the same size as a sovereign. 

23424262_1.jpg

On 27/05/2020 at 14:30, Norskgeld said:

That's something I don't like about the Austrian Mint, the diameters are too big for some of their coins. This one is roughly a half ounce coin that pretends to be a full ounce, lol.

Also the Philharmonic has the biggest diameter of all common 1 ounce bullion coins.

American Egale pre 33, 10 Dollars - perfect diameter and thickness for me. Not too big, not too small, just the happy medium, No1 in the category perfect size coin, lol

4 hours ago, silenceissilver said:

That's something I don't like about the Austrian Mint, the diameters are too big for some of their coins. This one is roughly a half ounce coin that pretends to be a full ounce, lol.

Also the Philharmonic has the biggest diameter of all common 1 ounce bullion coins.

American Egale pre 33, 10 Dollars - perfect diameter and thickness for me. Not too big, not too small, just the happy medium, No1 in the category perfect size coin, lol

I like thin coins as they are harder to fake successfully.

my only problem is these are not cgt free.

HH

@jiry with gold, bigger isn’t always better.

If you look for example at a 1oz gold coin, they might be nice to look at, hold the ‘weight’ in gold in one coin in your hand. But depending on if you will need to sell, you’ll have many more buyers for around four individual sovereigns than you will for a 1oz sovereign.

That’s just one different take on it. I once thought sovereigns were small but then I bought 1/10th oz gold Britannia’s, now they are small and there’s even the 1/25th oz coins at a little over a gram. It’s all about perspective, now compare those I just mentioned and full sovereigns aren’t so small. But if you’ve never seen or had a sovereign in your hand before I can see why it would seem small.

On 30/05/2020 at 09:25, silenceissilver said:

The 4 ducat is HUGE. 50% bigger surface area than a 1oz Britannia at well under half the weight. Paper thin though! 

17 hours ago, Grinder said:

I know what you mean. I knew the .5 g was small, but dang.

bGBLGbRh.jpg

on this macro photo it looks ok and not so tiny for 0,5 g but in rl ... damn :D 

Archived